Smart Scopes

I'm just curious why there isn't more talk about all the smart scopes available today? I don't think the Burris scope would work with airguns but, Sig's BDX works amazingly well & ATN's one shot zero works, as well as their ballistic calculator.

For real world situations it enables airguns to extend their hyper accuracy out past 100 yds. giving you the power to make an accurate range assessment then automatically giving you a hold over on the scope or adjusting the reticles entirely. All in less than 5 seconds. No thumbing around, guessing, or charts to look at, it's instant as soon as you get range to target.

I'd agree the lethality of an airgun at range may come into question however, in the .357 & up the ft.lb. are still there. I also understand the air vs. powder argument, I have real reservations regarding high powered rifles because of unintended targets. It just seems better to work up to the range needed instead of overkilling the range. Additionally the noise factor is of more importance, most game don't trigger & run on the sound of an air rifle, especially moderated, but you'll clear all of nature for a square mile with one shot of .223.

Anyway just curious if anyone is using any of the available smart scopes currently available, if so how well is it working?

Steve

I have the Sig BDXs, ATN 4ks (I’ve had every X sight generation) and previously owned the Burris.

I returned the Burris within 2 weeks of purchase. Many issues. The sigs work well - when they work. But I’ve had problems pairing, locking up, etc. They work just well enough to get me excited, then I have a problems. 

The X Site 4ks with a recent firmware are amazingly good for the price. I just put the range finder on the 4k but haven’t really played with it yet. For night time on an air gun/rimfire/subsonic suppressed rifle - they really are nice. The firmware was terrible at first, but they’ve ironed out most of the problems. Sig hasn’t. 

But the “smart” stuff I’ve played with still feel like toys. Sometimes good toys - but still toys.

The only exception is the Revic. When it pairs with a rangefinder, we’ll be there. It’s heavy and expensive but feels like a real shooting tool as opposed to a novelty.

I agree they tend to remind me of a video game, especially the ATN xSight & Thor series, however, most of the airguns with moderators don't sound like they'd hurt anything.... I've had no problems with Sig's BDX 2.0 system. I admit, I'm eaten up with Sig's system, I'm like the original fanboy with a Kool-Aid mustache. So I'll spare everyone. (...but it's so cool!)

The Revic/Gunwerks brings everything to next level, gosh! That's getting a little beyond my pay-grade. Something to look forward to in the future. In the meantime I'd like to see a video of someone besides Gunwerks using their scope.

Glad to hear others trying these systems... thx.

Steve

The resolution and refresh rate you get on that tiny TV screen is actually pretty good these days. But still it pales in comparison to even a halfway decent glass scope. No contest at all. 

I compare putting an electronic scope on my gun to strapping on a brick weight wise.

Still I do have a couple of the digital scopes and I think they are great for the nightvision they were made for. They are also good, in the daytime, for closer ranges where I can actually see the holes I am shooting in my targets. Once past that point they are not good for much, except the nighvision, as far as I am concerned.

The resolution and refresh rate you get on that tiny TV screen is actually pretty good these days. But still it pales in comparison to even a halfway decent glass scope. No contest at all. 

I compare putting an electronic scope on my gun to strapping on a brick weight wise.

Still I do have a couple of the digital scopes and I think they are great for the nightvision they were made for. They are also good, in the daytime, for closer ranges where I can actually see the holes I am shooting in my targets. Once past that point they are not good for much, except the nighvision, as far as I am concerned.

Completely agree, I do like Pard 007 or other traditional scope add on like the 007. Waiting for a better version of 007 for reasonable price since Pard had jacked up the price so it’s not worth it at all. 

Sig works well most of the time but parallax is 50 yards. 

Edit: ordered a NV scope that can also be added to a scope all the way from China. Will see how that goes in a month. 

I use the Ballistic Calculator in my ATN X-Sight 4K Pro and my THOR 4 thermal scope, currently mounted on both of my Benjamin Bulldog .357s. Both scopes have the ABL 1000 rangefinder add-on too, which makes adjustment in hunting and pesting situations much easier.

My longest range confirmed kill was 105 yards using a Predator Polymag on a groundhog at a private business service road. I've had a few more hits at 107-110 yards, but by the time the round got to the target, they moved while they were foraging. This ended up with a less than ideal hit. All shots were caught on video in slo-mo.

If I were shooting larger game, like raccoon or coyote at 100 yard distances, I'd switch to the NSA 142gr boat tail slugs, for more downrange energy.

The biggest benefit is being able to swap from one distance to another without hold over/under considerations.

Hi I like to add first I have had the best ATN has t offer with the ballistic solutions , well I think it is pretty useless in real world , If you talking about thermals well the best way to dial shots is as Reedmosser said with a Coldshot weather in mils or MOA ,

Last ATN I had was Thor HD5-50 100mm smart scope , the thermal part was fine the bells and whistles not worth using ever . looks real good on paper and in their videos for marketing but no it is not ethnically ,

If you have used them ballistic apps built in say ATN scopes well You need to know height of target and you make a few measurements say the ground and to the top of target or animal /Zombie and it will give you range which is NOT ACCURATE then can caculate the variables , I do all my own calculations but have used it just to see how good it is , and It did not work for me , I refuse to use software which can mame or injure prey ,

Now if it for getting a firing solution table any software can do this accurately such as , Streloc pro , or what i use in my Kestrel and link it to my Terripin range finder using Advanced ballistics which is built into a kestrel 5700 elite , this is only software I found to be spot on if you true it to your weapon after putting in all inputs properly ,

As for thermals I consider my self a very good hunter and very good long range shooter able to dope my firing solutions and able to mil my targets using a good FFP scope,

I have sold my ATN and got a very good thermal called Halo with a 50mm Geranium lens , which is one of best Civilian thermals out their today It does not have all them unneeded bells and whistles which can just confuse the operator or cause issues , but I also want to bring my point out here ,

I run my X50 THERMAL AT 1X OTHER DAY I went to take out a coyote and somehow I ended up at 4x instead of 1x , well as you all know I missed my shot the halo nor any other civilian thermal I ever used is not a FFP scope with exact reticles for hold over , here is my example

I set up my Evol 30 cal at 50 yard zero to hit a spinner at 109 yrds at say 2 lines on reticle , and I can hit a spinner or squirrel all day long with this , but if i go to 2 o4 4x with a digital zoom you will miss simular to using a SFP scope not set on true values for mils or MOA ,

If you use say a Heritage arms Coldshot well it dont matter if you on 1x 2x 4 x or 8x the dial you spin it to as long as it is inline with your firing solution chart will hit its mark 100% of time , I do hope this helps and clears up things which designed for selling things with marketing not precise accuracy ,

PS I will be testing a Burris soon but to date the best thermal is a HALO x50 or Trijicon upper line units which use same parts and cost more money , You really get what you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH THERMALS

LOU

Hi I like to add first I have had the best ATN has t offer with the ballistic solutions , well I think it is pretty useless in real world , If you talking about thermals well the best way to dial shots is as Reedmosser said with a Coldshot weather in mils or MOA ,

Last ATN I had was Thor HD5-50 100mm smart scope , the thermal part was fine the bells and whistles not worth using ever . looks real good on paper and in their videos for marketing but no it is not ethnically ,

If you have used them ballistic apps built in say ATN scopes well You need to know height of target and you make a few measurements say the ground and to the top of target or animal /Zombie and it will give you range which is NOT ACCURATE then can caculate the variables , I do all my own calculations but have used it just to see how good it is , and It did not work for me , I refuse to use software which can mame or injure prey ,

Now if it for getting a firing solution table any software can do this accurately such as , Streloc pro , or what i use in my Kestrel and link it to my Terripin range finder using Advanced ballistics which is built into a kestrel 5700 elite , this is only software I found to be spot on if you true it to your weapon after putting in all inputs properly ,

As for thermals I consider my self a very good hunter and very good long range shooter able to dope my firing solutions and able to mil my targets using a good FFP scope,

I have sold my ATN and got a very good thermal called Halo with a 50mm Geranium lens , which is one of best Civilian thermals out their today It does not have all them unneeded bells and whistles which can just confuse the operator or cause issues , but I also want to bring my point out here ,

I run my X50 THERMAL AT 1X OTHER DAY I went to take out a coyote and somehow I ended up at 4x instead of 1x , well as you all know I missed my shot the halo nor any other civilian thermal I ever used is not a FFP scope with exact reticles for hold over , here is my example

I set up my Evol 30 cal at 50 yard zero to hit a spinner at 109 yrds at say 2 lines on reticle , and I can hit a spinner or squirrel all day long with this , but if i go to 2 o4 4x with a digital zoom you will miss simular to using a SFP scope not set on true values for mils or MOA ,

If you use say a Heritage arms Coldshot well it dont matter if you on 1x 2x 4 x or 8x the dial you spin it to as long as it is inline with your firing solution chart will hit its mark 100% of time , I do hope this helps and clears up things which designed for selling things with marketing not precise accuracy ,

PS I will be testing a Burris soon but to date the best thermal is a HALO x50 or Trijicon upper line units which use same parts and cost more money , You really get what you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH THERMALS

LOU

With the ATN Ballistic Calculator, if you add the ABL laser rangefinder add on, all that animal height stuff goes away. Many people aren't aware of that, and I use the Ballistics Calculator religiously on my X-Sight and my THOR 4 thermal.

Just setup your ammo profile, range and shoot. I have three profiles for my Bulldogs shooting Polymags, NSA 110gr HP slugs and NSA 142gr slugs, and when I purchase my Maverick .30, I'll add profiles for the Hades and FX Hybrids.

20211227_194820.1644193250.jpg

https://youtu.be/-4mo_p1tPXs

Hi mr Estarkey , I have tested their add on range finder well before it had been brought to market , I have tested it in short range Under 300 yds to mid range and in midrange up to 800 Yds ,

I then attempted to try it in a long range setting however it would not even work , I believe the angle of the beam is extremely wide or unit just does not have the power , I also noticed up to double digits of error in ranging targets at midrange and unable to duplicate ,

I mentioned the terrapin X as I have yet to see error of unit beyond the 2% mark even at 2000 yards and the beam is very tight meaning it does not lock on something closer and yes it has a option of further target , My point was software and its usefulness not rangefinders as the ATN is not a precise unit but for you using it at say 100 yards well most any unit can do this , this is point blank range

check your beam divergence and width , you will then see what I mean , here is a simplified way to check it , but you will see just how wide the ATN is as it is stated in video everything is multiplied , but for very short ranges like you using it can work 2 I had were off over 3 mils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOCfD0iJqE

LOU

I checked the beam divergence by ranging at night while using the X-Sight 4K Pro in Night Mode, and it was fairly narrow. I also checked the same ranged distance to my albeit cheap hand held rangefinder, and they showed the exact same distances.

For my purposes, I don't see me shooting over 175 yards, so this solution will suit my hunting needs faster than doing the Strelok shuffle while I'm in the field. 😀