Other Smallest break barrels on market?

No idea how good it may or may not be, just remember seeing a shooting program somewhere that used them for teaching kids gun safety and competition shooting.
The TR5 is a redesigned shell over a licensed copy of the IZH-61, the multi shot platform of the IZH-60 mentioned below I believe? I am very interested in the Baikal branded guns, but seems to be few and far between, especially the early steel reciever version. I once saw a yellow stocked IZH-61 in a demonstration video, but never one on market. Those were the only examples I knew of myself, and have never seen an underlever, unless you consider the BSA Lincoln Jeffries to be youth sized.

Does anyone happen to know of any similarly sized "youth" rifles such as the HW30/ R7, but in side/ under lever configuration?

the R7 is NOT a youth rifle. LOP is basically the same as an R9. Webley Tracker carbine is likely even shorter than an R7, is a side lever but heavier.

Last edited:
The TR5 is a redesigned shell over a licensed copy of the IZH-61, the multi shot platform of the IZH-60 mentioned below I believe? I am very interested in the Baikal branded guns, but seems to be few and far between, especially the early steel reciever version. I once saw a yellow stocked IZH-61 in a demonstration video, but never one on market. Those were the only examples I knew of myself, and have never seen an underlever, unless you consider the BSA Lincoln Jeffries to be youth sized.
IZH 61 on Fleabay, currently at $200 if anyone is at all interested. It's in Michigan.
And yes Mike, along with others, have said and proven the R7 is not a "youth rifle" considering LOP. My own pic of my Beemans. Not lined up absolutely perfect but look at the triggers. Top to bottom are the R1, 2 R7's, R8, R9 and R10. If there's a difference, it's in a 1/16th of an inch maybe, if at all.
Beeman family 2.jpg

Last edited:
the R7 is NOT a youth rifle. LOP is basically the same as an R9. Webley Tracker carbine is likely even shorter than an R7, is a side lever but heavier.
For sure, I guess maybe carbine would be a better designation than youth, but at the time the only other word coming to mind was petite and I didn't think that sounded as topic oriented lol. And wow, the Webley Tracker has eluded my attention all of these years, its a tap loader too! I imagine it will be nearly non-existent without searching across the pond though.

IZH 61 on Fleabay, currently at $200 if anyone is at all interested. It's in Michigan.
And yes Mike, along with others, have said and proven the R7 is not a "youth rifle" considering LOP. My own pic of my Beemans. Not lined up absolutely perfect but look at the triggers. Top to bottom are the R1, 2 R7's, R8, R9 and R10. If there's a difference, it's in a 1/16th of an inch maybe, if at all.
View attachment 455298
Awesome comparison! Thank you for a reference in size. I have shot the R7/ HW30s, but not the others. I do prefer compact rifles as we generally walk miles through ugly brush, shoot standing with irons, pecans and prickly pears being our number one victims lol, so FPE isn't as much of a concern as accuracy. I did see the 61 on the 'Bay, there was actually two on in the last few days, but one sold. Sadly both are plastic receiver examples.

For what it's worth, here's a 90's-vintage R7 (center), compared to a couple guns mentioned above - Diana 27 above it, Webley Tracker below.

IMG_5057.jpeg

The 27 is actually a bit longer and slightly more powerful than the R7, but the slender stock makes it no heavier, and IMHO more pleasant to carry. (The basic HW 30 design on which the R7 is based, was also once made in a similar slim finger-groove stock BTW, and has a much trimmer, "faster" feel than the current thicker high-comb stock.)

The Tracker is a tap-loading sidelever. It's heavier than the R7 but harder-shooting, and as you can see significantly shorter. The chunky muzzle weight can be easily removed. It was also sold in the US as the "Barnett Spitfire."

All three of these are well-made, beautifully-finished air rifles you'd be proud to own. FWIW the 27 would be my pick for a jaunt through the woods, but each would be fine.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, here's a 90's-vintage R7 (center), compared to a couple guns mentioned above - Diana 27 above it, Webley Tracker below.

View attachment 455406

The 27 is actually a bit longer and slightly more powerful than the R7, but the slender stock makes it no heavier, and IMHO more pleasant to carry. (The basic HW 30 design on which the R7 is based, was also once made in a similar slim finger-groove stock BTW, and has a much trimmer, "faster" feel than the current thicker high-comb stock.)

The Tracker is a tap-loading sidelever. It's heavier than the R7 but harder-shooting, and as you can see significantly shorter. The chunky muzzle weight can be easily removed. It was also sold in the US as the "Barnett Spitfire."

All three of these are well-made, beautifully-finished air rifles you'd be proud to own. FWIW the 27 would be my pick for a jaunt through the woods, but each would be fine.
While reading about the 27 (which BB Pelletier even proclaimed would be his only air rifle if he could have only one!) it seems that it was also marketed under the Hy-Score name as a Model 807. One other notable find, when reading on the Webley Tracker/ Barnett Spitfire I found an article mentioning the Air Arms Bora, a very similar, if not the same rifle configuration. I managed to find one example of the Bora that looked as if it had a gas rail, upon looking further it seems it was actually a multi shot & self tap loading variant! I found it to be extremely neat looking from an engineering standpoint, though still didn’t come away with an understanding of wether the tap loading toggle needed to be manipulated by the user or was part of the mechanical process of the action.

ETA: Thank you again for comparison pics!

Reactions: MDriskill
What is a "crossbow trigger?" As far as I know, the post-war Diana 27 always had the ball-sear trigger. The smaller model 25 was, however, made with both the standard trigger (model 25) and the ball-sear (model 25D).

Thanks for the Haenel pic - nice rifles that we tend to forget about. Your 303's manual barrel lock and multi-lever trigger will put a lot of snootier guns to shame! 😁

Last edited:
While reading about the 27 (which BB Pelletier even proclaimed would be his only air rifle if he could have only one!) it seems that it was also marketed under the Hy-Score name as a Model 807. One other notable find, when reading on the Webley Tracker/ Barnett Spitfire I found an article mentioning the Air Arms Bora, a very similar, if not the same rifle configuration. I managed to find one example of the Bora that looked as if it had a gas rail, upon looking further it seems it was actually a multi shot & self tap loading variant! I found it to be extremely neat looking from an engineering standpoint, though still didn’t come away with an understanding of wether the tap loading toggle needed to be manipulated by the user or was part of the mechanical process of the action.

ETA: Thank you again for comparison pics!
The old Air Arms sidelevers were a bit bigger and heavier than the Tracker, but well-made, nicely finished, and a bit more power. There was a whole "family" of rifles using the same basic action, with different barrel lengths and stocks - topping out with the beautiful Camargue with walnut Tyrolean wood. And yes an interesting spring-loaded tube gizmo that automatically dropped in a pellet when the tap was opened was available for all.

I have to admit the Tracker/Spitfire is an acquired taste: twangy, and that infamous Webley trigger. But I love it for the elegant looks and top-drawer finish alone.
IMG_1813.jpeg

IMG_1810.jpeg

IMG_1826.jpeg

IMG_1811.jpeg

Since you made the mistake of poking the hornet's nest of my Diana 27 obsession, LOL, I must bore you with a bit of history! 🙄 Diana made guns with that name for seventy years or so - really four quite different designs, each with variations over time, but all the same handy size and medium power.

If you search for a model 27, note that in those days Diana used a BUNCH of brand names in different countries, or for big importers. It was sold as the "model 27" under the Diana, RWS, Geco, Gecado, Original, and Beeman's Original names; also re-labeled as the HyScore 807, Beeman 100, and Winchester 427. The pre-war gun was also made after the war by Milbro in Scotland.

IMG_1831.jpeg

Last edited:
What is a "crossbow trigger?" As far as I know, the post-war Diana 27 always had the ball-sear trigger. The smaller model 25 was, however, made with both the standard trigger (model 25) and the ball-sear (model 25D).

Thanks for the Haenel pic - nice rifles that we tend to forget about. Your 303's manual barrel lock and multi-lever trigger will put a lot of snootier guns to shame! 😁
My statement applies only to rifles sold under the Diana/RWS brand, not for Hy-Score or Winchester.I have a Diana 27 from the 1970s without the letter D, with a crossbow trigger (standard trigger according you).

DSCN9519.JPG

DSCN9520.JPG

DSCN9521.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBrickyardKid
Thanks! That's very interesting...obviously, I've never seen a 27 like that. A distributor must have asked for that, and no doubt the model 25's standard trigger would work just fine on a 27. If I may ask, what is the brand and date stamped on it?

I've learned to "never say never" with German airguns, as variations do pop up all the time. The weirdest model 27 I've seen was a beat up, rusty "Gecado 27" that had a ball-sear - with no adjuster screws...!

For what it's worth, none of my ball-sear 27's have a "D" stamped on them. I've only seen that on 25's (but again, could be wrong).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ievgen721