Small(ish) scope with side focus and MIL/MOA reticle?

I'm looking for a scope with side focus and a Mil-Dot or MOA reticle for my Daystate Huntsman Revere. I would like to put the smallest scope on it that I can in keeping with the sveltness of the Huntsman.
I currently have a Leupold 4X rimfire scope on it, but I'm not satisfied with the lack of adjustable focus and I believe I'm going to need some mil-dots to help with trajectory at different yardages.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:
I'm using a West Hunter WHT 3-12x44 FFP SF IR. It has a Mil reticle, not an MOA. It measures 9.6" and fits nicely on my Atomic XR. I wrote about here:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I wish there were more scopes in the 2-7x32 range with side focus rather than adjustable objective. Only one I can think of with side focus is the discontinued Bushnell AR series but those weren't exactly compact.

The Immersive prism scopes are compact. They have a 5x30 with 85mm eye relief coming out this summer. I feel like the longer eye relief would look a bit better on a traditional rifle. But the current model might have more of a biathlon rear site look.

Reactions: Triggernosis
This (linked PDF)! 😄

In that Scope Specs Table you'll get over 50 scopes that are SHORT (and/or light) — or are in the 3-12x / 3-9x magnification range.

Just go down the colum for size and weight and find the ones that have the right size/weight.

🔹 I'm sorry to say that the Table does not specify if the reticle subtensions are dots or hashlines. There are very few reticles with dots. However, after the Table there are links to many of the FFP reticles where you can see them at different magnifications.

🔹 The Table does distinguish between MIL and MOA reticles, and indicates which scopes have a "Christmas tree" reticle — that is, a gridded reticle with lots of busy hashlines, that some shooters require, others detest. The choice is yours.

🔹Almost all the scopes in the Table have side parallax, not AO.

🔹 If you are so open to almost any scope (very few requirements), and size/weight is so important, maybe a 4x fixed magnification scope is the best option for you...?
However, for me personally, a variable magnification has so many advantages, it's so versatile – I even mounted a 3-12x44 scope on a PP700 pistol — and it's knocking pigeons from 5y to at 50y+....! 😄

Happy scope shopping!

Matthias

Last edited:
I believe I'm going to have to give up the side-focus in my quest. Close-focus is very important to me, as is an uncluttered reticle (i.e. no Christmas tree reticles). I have a Leupold 4X Rimfire scope on my gun now, but it is a fixed parallax and it's just not working for anything closer than 25 yards.

So, now on my list is the Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 with an adjustable objective. Maybe a UTG BugBuster, but I think the Hawke is probably a better scope.

I've had both the Hawke Vantage & the Bug Buster 3-12.

Of the two I preferred the eye box & glass of the Hawke. But much preferred the side focus of the Bug Buster.

There is a Monstrum 2-7x32 with front AO in the Classifieds.

I would at least look on Ebay & see if you can find a Leupold EFR 3-9x33 that someone paid to have a custom reticle installed in.

I know you said no Xmas tree reticles but do take a look at the Hawke AMX 2-7x32 now that you're considering front AO. That's a much more subtle Xmas tree reticle & they are said to be noticeably better than the Vantage line.

Same with the Optisan 3-12x32.