• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Small Bird Hunting: Hard Impact or Expansion

I have had a problem with house sparrows eating up my grass seed. I have been shooting my pellet gun for 7 years and am a good shot but I had never tried shooting the house sparrows. I am worried that I might shoot a bird and it get away only to die on another persons property from its injury. I nearly had this happen the first time I shot one when the bird jumped over my fence and into my neighbors yard, I managed to get that one but next time I might not be so lucky (I was using a less powerful daisy powerline 35). Now to the question:

When hunting small birds like house sparrows is it better to use a pellet that transfers as much energy to the bird as possible (like a wad cutter) or a pellet that expands like a hollow point? 

I am currently using a crosman 2100 shooting crosman premier hollow points or crosman domes. I also use crosman destroyers but feel that their shape does not lend to as good of an accuracy as domes do at a range. 

Those birds are not very big in size. A well placed shot with any kind of pellet will do the trick. I have shot some with a few different air guns and pellet combos and all have worked good. I’m not a expert but if your getting a direct head or chest shot and they are flying away it may be a power issue not a pellet issue. I have used jsb domes and crossman pellets both with success.

You want a pellet to dump it's energy rather than a pass through. I don't think there's enough mass for any kind of expansion. I use wadcutters and when less than 25yds, destroyers as my .177 2400KT shoots them accurately enough out to 25yds.

.177 destroyer from 13yds. 7fpe at the muzzle.

1549438604_4058844725c5a8e8c2efd13.92335097_SSCN2662.JPG