Original Smooth Twist barrels WILL NOT shoot slugs, period! The barrels are only rifled for the last 3-4 inches & the Boss factory speed of around 875fps won't develop the spin needed to stabilize a slug. Believe me, I've tried so save your money.
Not true. The .177 Royale ST barrels shoot them great. But since the OP mentioned the Boss, I'll take your word for it.

Reactions: Pnutt559
Original Smooth Twist barrels WILL NOT shoot slugs, period! The barrels are only rifled for the last 3-4 inches & the Boss factory speed of around 875fps won't develop the spin needed to stabilize a slug. Believe me, I've tried so save your money.
Exactly. +1 Don't waste your money. You could try the new FX Pellugs once they come out in 2023...

I stand corrected by Keith2324 as far as .177 OST barrels. I'm really surprised to hear that they shoot well based on my experiences trying slugs in my .25 Royale & my .30 Boss. Maybe the light weight of a .177 projectile is the deciding factor in that but I wouldn't know, I only shoot MANLY calibers :ROFLMAO: 🤣:ROFLMAO:

I really don't. In the time I've owned my Boss (3-4 years) I don't think I've ever let it run below 1500psi before I gas up again so I don't know exactly when it drops off. Believe it or not, I've NEVER been into the internals of any of my guns. They always work correctly, always deliver with CONSISTENT accuracy & I've never had need or desire to change ANYTHING. How great is that?

Would you happen to know when the gun falls off the regulator?
@Pnutt559 I have zero experience with the gun in question, BUT I have shot regulated guns from various manufacturers and have noticed a pattern. Usually when a regulated gun falls off the reg, the subsequent shots sound different without a moderator. Some guns will have a hollow echo sound during the shot. Others can sound louder while shooting. All of the regulated guns I’ve shot demonstrate a premature drop in the trajectory of the projectile after falling off the reg meaning if you use hold over marks, the holdover marks will change to achieve the same POI after falling off. If there’s something more specific that occurs after falling off the reg with an FX Boss, I wouldn’t know.

I suggest counting how many shots it takes before you notice these things. Note your starting pressure,the approximate pressure when you first observe these types of changes, how many shots (magazines) it took to get there, and the type of projectile and its weight. Also note what your regulator is set at if you can determine this via a manometer or a reg tester.

I really don't. In the time I've owned my Boss (3-4 years) I don't think I've ever let it run below 1500psi before I gas up again so I don't know exactly when it drops off. Believe it or not, I've NEVER been into the internals of any of my guns. They always work correctly, always deliver with CONSISTENT accuracy & I've never had need or desire to change ANYTHING. How great is that?
Yeah same here man, besides regular maintenance and replacing the inlet valve rod and oring my boss is stock as well.

@Pnutt559 I have zero experience with the gun in question, BUT I have shot regulated guns from various manufacturers and have noticed a pattern. Usually when a regulated gun falls off the reg, the subsequent shots sound different without a moderator. Some guns will have a hollow echo sound during the shot. Others can sound louder while shooting. All of the regulated guns I’ve shot demonstrate a premature drop in the trajectory of the projectile after falling off the reg meaning if you use hold over marks, the holdover marks will change to achieve the same POI after falling off. If there’s something more specific that occurs after falling off the reg with an FX Boss, I wouldn’t know.

I suggest counting how many shots it takes before you notice these things. Note your starting pressure,the approximate pressure when you first observe these types of changes, how many shots (magazines) it took to get there, and the type of projectile and its weight. Also note what your regulator is set at if you can determine this via a manometer or a reg tester.
Yeah I have noticed that as well, I know I can get about 40 shots per fill, I usually do 3 or 4 magazines before I refill the gun. Haven't used it in a while so I just wanted to refresh my memory. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.