Slugs. What do you guys think my next move should be?

Hi all, got another question for you guys. Ive shot 4 boxes worth of 26gr and 29gr NSA slugs out of my superior liner, and im still just not getting the accuracy id like out of it. I have tried indexing, several different tunes, ive tried velocities varying from 600-950fps, ive tried religiously cleaning it, and most of the time I get awesome accuracy under 50, but any further i get 3-7inch groups from 50-100 yards. I have a suspicion that mine might be a dud, but thats unlikely. Ive also tried pellets, and it does okay with JSB kings, last time i measured groups i got 3/4 inch at 60yds. I haven’t gone further with pellets in it yet, but maybe soon. Im also planning on trying H&N’s and JSB’s .25 slugs when they come out. 

Im wondering what my next move should be. Should i buy a superior slug liner? Should i buy another superior liner? Or should i even buy a .22 slug liner along with a Huma TP and probe. I really don’t want to give up on slugs as im always shooting in windy conditions. What do you guys think? Is there any other slugs that might be worth trying out? 

Thanks for you guys help. You all are awesome!

So I’m going to assume you are only shooting the smaller ones? 26 and 29? That is about what I have experienced with those in Fx Guns, some claim to do much better? Taipans sure like those smaller .249s, but if you haven’t tried 33.5-38 grn NSAs, I would! Same speed range as you mentioned 900-960. Good luck! And don’t give up and I would not buy another liner yet, go bigger 🖖🏼

Have you tried lubing your slugs? It’s usually not a miracle fix but every once in a while it can make a huge difference. I switched back to the Slug A from the Superior liner. The Superior liner shoots the Hybrids great, really great but I didn’t have much luck with any of the VK or NSA slugs. Not from .2485” to .250”. Some of them shot okay but not as well as the slug A liner. The Slug A shoots them much better and it also shoots the JSB 33.95 MKII’s better by just a little bit. I wouldn’t give up on the Superior liner yet either if you like the lighter slugs, why not shoot the Hybrids? That’s what the Superior liner was made for and it shoots the Hybrids light out at 950-965fps. I’m talking crazy accurate! And, because they’re even lighter you can shoot them fast without pushing your gun too much. If I wanted to shoot the Hybrids exclusively, I would still be using the Superior liner. I like to shoot the JSB 33.95 and VK 32.8gr. both though. Good luck, keep at it, you’ll find the sweet spot and get them dialed in. Let us know how it goes. 

Stoti

I have tried lubing the slugs, and i saw accuracy get dramatically worse. i used the smallest bit of silicone spray, and works great on pellets, but i guess not slugs.

I am tempted to use the 33gr slugs, and hybrids, but the hybrids are so darn expensive! I like to plink sometimes, and with the 33gr, my Dreamline isnt going to have the power to push them that fast. id think the most i could get would be about 800-850fps. 

What do you guys think about buying a .22 slug liner and shooting the 17, 21, and 23gr? 
I have heard that many people are getting amazing accuracy with them in the slug liner. I really wish i bought an impact about now ):

Too clean is not necessary. A bit of lead fouling is good.

I agree with getting a scope level .

I didn't have any luck using silicone lube either. 

I wash my NSA 29gr in Dawn dish soap, thoroughly dry them then apply a very light coat of Slip 2000 Airgun Lubricant or Ballistol.

My 700mm slug liner A loves them from 950 to 1000fps.

Look at the Ernest Rowe Transfer port.I went from 965fps to 995fps with the NSA 29GR at 125bar.

Awesome tips guys! Ill try dawn soap this time. Ill also look into a scope level. As for a slug liner, it seems that no one really sells them anymore. Ive been having a few issues with my chinesium compressor, so im probably going to hold off a bit until i make sure it isnt going to die soon on me. 

Ill probably try out the .217 and .216 JSB KO’s and maybe a few weights from NSA in the .22 superior. You guys have any luck with this so far? 

Tuning for slugs in 25 is difficult. I don’t know how many slugs and air I wasted . I have the slug A and the slug heavy 700mm for my impact. Currently I’m on the sup heavy. It’s about finding the sweet spot. I also use the slug power kit. Reg at 125 . Valve knob at 2 ,5 lines . Nsa 33.5 I’m currently running at 945. Can shoot one inch at 100. Same setting is putting pellet on pellet with the king heavy. 

Ok my $.02

I had a very tough time w slugs from the beginning. In fact so bad I sent the gun to FX and they kept it for 4 months!!!! 
it came back shooting better but not great. Then I watched a couple of videos from Ted and one from Gerard and I thought what the heck. So their secret is to max out the hammer spring tension adjust screw (HSTA) to the point where with the power wheel on MAX it stops turning. Then slowly back out the HSTA just to the point that the wheel starts to turn. 
Next open the valve all the way to 4 lines. 
Then use the regulator to get your speed up slightly over where you want it, maybe 10-20 FPS over. 
Next, shoot groups at at least 75 yd on a calm day. Five shot groups at

Max

Note where the tightest groups are. 
Finally, turn in the valve to further tighten groups at the power wheel setting that gave you the best groups. 
I’m at 125 Bar shooting 33.5 around 990 with the valve set to about 3.2 lines out. 
Before I was shooting 3-5” groups at 50 y and now getting sub MOA at 75 and 100 yd. with Slug liner A

Hope that this is some help to you. https://youtu.be/pTSTkC9ACK8