• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slugs vs Pellets

Matt was shooting a Slug-X liner. Justin Jacobson (owner of Utah Airguns) said that the same slug liner that he's had in 22 caliber for a while now has excellent performance past 75 yards.

I have the 22 Slug-X liner on pre-order.....the first shipment to UA is due in "soon". You can bet I'll be doing some accuracy videos with mine using Neilson slugs.

Matt was shooting a Slug-X liner. Justin Jacobson (owner of Utah Airguns) said that the same slug liner that he's had in 22 caliber for a while now has excellent performance past 75 yards.

I have the 22 Slug-X liner on pre-order.....the first shipment to UA is due in "soon". You can bet I'll be doing some accuracy videos with mine using Neilson slugs.

So is the 600mm .22 slug barrel going to shoot slower than the 500mm barrel? Slugs make more contact with the barrel and I think the longer barrel will slow the slugs down.

I got a .22 slug liner for my Impact back in Sept from AOA. I posted a thread with some testing notes, but haven't really had much to update it recently. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/early-impact-22-slug-liner-report/

I came to the conclusion that I needed more power to shoot the heavier slugs, which led to buying a milling machine, and converting it to CNC so I could start making some upgrade parts. I should be testing some of those soon. 

Rusty

So is the 600mm .22 slug barrel going to shoot slower than the 500mm barrel? Slugs make more contact with the barrel and I think the longer barrel will slow the slugs down.

The longer barrel should have a higher velocity. The slug has a longer distance/time to accelerate with the gas pressure behind it. This outweighs any additional drag from the extra length of the barrel.

No, it will shoot faster as Azycray said. Check out this video from today. They were both shooting slugs, one using 23gr on a 600mm barrel and the other 26gr on a 700mm barrel. The one with the 700mm liner was shooting heavier slugs at the same velocity but at lower reg pressure.

https://youtu.be/KO-an5t2eyU