• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Slugs VS Pellets, whats your view?

I shoot long range, so for me there's just no comparison. The diabolo pellet was designed for short range plinking with break barrel air rifles. People and manufacturers have pushed the limits of what a pellet can do well beyond what any of us thought was possible 30+ years ago. But physics doesn't lie, slugs are the way to go for long range shooting. I stopped shooting pellets over a year ago. There are rifles out there with the power and accuracy to hit targets well over 200 yds, not many of them, but they are out there.

Reactions: rappert
The amount of energy retained down range is a pretty big advantage with slugs. Put the BC and weight into a calculator and look at the FPE at 50 and 100yds compared to a pellet. The weight is part of it but the BC also makes a big diff. The heaviest pellets have similar advantages but not as great as a slug.

I'm only just beginning to mess with some 20gr slugs but boy do they hit hard compared to 18gr pellets. Not sure I really need it as I mostly work on squirrels or smaller but the slugs seem like they would be entirely ethical up to raccoon sized game Inside 100yds. I'm talking about .22 in this case.

I have 1 compact pellet shooter in 177 for plinking and purchase uragans with the only purpose to shoot slugs nothing else.. and I have not been disappointed in any way.. all tuned by Derrick wall to HP .. the 177 is shooting 15g Nielsen at 990fps .. the .22- 25gknockouts in 216 at 960fps ..the .25 -- 35g Nielsen at 960fps..the .30 -- 49.5 Nielsen and 44g fx slugs in the 895fps... all 4 -- slug shooters .. all 4 accurate 140y+ -- 22 n up 200y + no drama..one tune..for the heavier pellet aviable just in case ..and that it .. the only hiccup I encountered was to tension the barrel..n was done with a pice of sc40 water pipe painted black n done..didn't had to expend another 1k in shooting gizmos to make the guns work .. or try 25 different slugs n 75 different tunes to see what works.. one amo weight per gun simple as that . So I could always know what the gun is going to do when I pull the trigger.

Reactions: Str8tshooter
I've dabbled with slugs in my guns. I have a few thousand laying around. For now, I've abandoned the idea. Pellets are where it's at for my shooting, which is mostly backyard target shooting and plinking out to 50 yards. I shoot to relax and pellets are the path of least resistance. When I feel like fighting the current, I'll give slugs another whirl.

Reactions: scottg0814
I have zero use for slugs. I don’t pest at long range, and for me that would be the only reason to go that route.

I have found pellets more accurate at shorter ranges where I shoot. The ammo is much cheaper. AND… I don’t have to try as hard to find ammo the rifle likes. Trying out slugs reminded me of lot testing with my 22lr back I the day. Trying out different models, weights, and head sizes. With pellets, you are almost guaranteed your rifle likes one of the common JSB pellets and you just get your speed to a common speed everyone recognizes, and BOOM! Tiny groups!

I am shooting in my gunclub and rings only, a lill bit of 50 but mostly 100 meters. No hunting and no backyard plinking.
Last year my .25 Impact sent downrange about 10K 34gr MK2's.
Over this last winter I upgraded the power curve (including machining the internals) and prepared everything for shooting slugs. The Impact can shoot now 44 grain ZAN's North of 970 or 41gr 1020 or 37gr subsonic, at 150 bars.
What I learned that I would need another gun if I would want to shoot 34gr MK2 pellets again, without taking the Impact apart (and replace some internals) I cannot de-tune it for lower power. Lowering Reg or the HS won't do it alone, I steped over that line with the power upgrades.
So for shorter ranges or the 22LR silhouettes I am shooting the .22 Leshiy. I have a another .25 barrel for it but didn't got there yet.
I have some 10 plus tin's of .25 MK1's and MK2's each sitting on the shelf, maybe I will buy another FX gun for these pellets.

In my experience, slugs for groundhogs. Pellets for paper, squirrels, birds, etc.
Groundhog shots for me are farther than 50 yards typically. Slugs kill groundhogs on the spot more efficiently that pellets. Thats just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

I haven't tried slugs yet but 1 pellet took a big hog down, had to put 2 in the head to completely decease it

Got a maverick 700mm .22 for slugs. Once you get a good tune, don’t try to mess with it. I am on my third tune with the same ammo NSA 24.8 in .218. The settings all changed a little, but couldn’t squeeze more accuracy. Still plenty of power left in the maverick for heavier slugs.

The fx dreamline shoots the JSB 18.13 just as accurately as the maverick shooting slugs out to 86 yards if there is no wind.

So I have a low power and a high power pcp for different purposes.

I have my Crown set up to shoot the AA18gr and Baracuda 18gr pellets, accurate out to 100 yards. Sometimes I stretched it out a bit if opportunity arrises.
My Impact MK2 is tuned to shoot the H&N slugs both in 23gr and 34gr heavy slugs, at setting 2 and Max, respectively.
Personally pellets for up to 75 yards are consistent and productive in my guns, but in the wind, slug is the way to go at least for my application. I only need to hold/guess the windage a bit less than I would have to with pellets. That translate more hits and misses with slugs in the wind.

Right around 100y is where I find pellets are starting to stray. But their usuable range is obviously much further. They are almost unbelievably accurate.

The straw that broke the camels back for me and I went to slugs was a perfect shot on a adult prairie dog… and I walked down to the hole and listened to it suffer as it died. Might be a dirty disease ridden rodent animal, but it pulled at my strings a bit. I went to slugs a week later. The slugs are devastating and make them take dirt naps basically instantly. And the wind here in Wyoming is brutal. Slugs buck it much better

I haven't tried slugs yet but 1 pellet took a big hog down, had to put 2 in the head to completely decease it
One slug is all they need, even at 100 yards

5B45ABFC-9DB5-4207-A777-0CD64222639E.jpeg

Reactions: Ghostranger169