Slugs VS Pellets, whats your view?

Right tool for the right job.

I'm strickly pellets and no more than 22 cal cause of the way I shoot on my 2 acre yard. Too much oomph and the pellet leaves my property I don't want any injuries/damages/or problems. Airgunning is pure entertainment for me and not a needs based activity (like pesting) so LOW AND SLOW gets the job done for me.
Great mindset.

Reactions: Greenarrow
Oooh...ok. So you can shoot your air rifles. That's good.

Are you able to shoot iguanas? I've seen guys shooting them and eating them on youtube. Really makes me want to try it out.

Considering that scenario, I think I'd use pellets. Slugs may travel a bit too far.
Something I always wanted to try out. I think hunting/population control of iguanas would be fun and they say they eat pretty good.

I will admit, while I didn't get sucked into the FX specific marketing , for some reason I found myself chasing shooting slugs , so in a way I guess I did fall victim.

I had to think really hard about the type of shooting ill be doing a majority of the time... Nothing really past 125 yards. So why do I need slugs? My pesting with pellets is more than sufficient, ethical, and ammo is cheap. My target shooting is the same and the ammo is still cheap.

My alpha wolf is putting out 50 fpe with pellets and same hole accuracy at 50 yards with 10 shots. My taipan long I just sold was slinging 33.95 .25 MOA at 125 yards at 60fpe.

Are we falling victim to the marketing or do many of us actually need slugs with our .22/.25 rifles? Nobody has released any long term wear results on the rifles pushing the new impacts past 1000 fps on a regular basis either....

Now with that said, don't get me wrong, I still have a desire to shoot slugs long range.... some day I will.
Everyone has their own conditions and comfort zone. So far I shoot pellets in 25 cal. shoot 30 cal slugs. Depending on target pellets do great up to 80 for most shooters for ethical kill. for me, birds are a go to 100-120yards as they need only 3-4 FPE to drop them. If I was shooting something bigger , say raccoon, porcupine, small pig, under 50 I would be comfortable with pellets. at 75yards and above - slugs because of retained power at those distances. maybe I'm too conservative, but that's what I mean by comfort level attempting ethical kills. Not saying I'm right. I don't have enough experience to claim that. but that's where I start.

Everyone has their own conditions and comfort zone. So far I shoot pellets in 25 cal. shoot 30 cal slugs. Depending on target pellets do great up to 80 for most shooters for ethical kill. for me, birds are a go to 100-120yards as they need only 3-4 FPE to drop them. If I was shooting something bigger , say raccoon, porcupine, small pig, under 50 I would be comfortable with pellets. at 75yards and above - slugs because of retained power at those distances. maybe I'm too conservative, but that's what I mean by comfort level attempting ethical kills. Not saying I'm right. I don't have enough experience to claim that. but that's where I start.
Not a bad place to start, honestly; you're taking into consideration effective power levels. (y)

Thats the correct way to approach what you need to get the job done. I think people read what someone else is comfortable using and think thats what they should use especially when its someone who has a youtube channel or very active in the forums. For me I know a 10 fpe pellet to the brain of a raccoon is more than enough at 20 yds. I have used lower power to humanely kill animals than some people would try and thats ok. I know my abilities with the rifle and I know I can wait for the perfect shot and not only wait but also know what the perfect shot is on the skull of the animal in order for the lower power to humanely take the animal. If that shot never presents itself I dont pull the trigger. Every shooter has to be honest and know what they can do, will do and what the rifle can do. Thats the real answer to the question and everyone is right with the equipment they use if they are using it in a way that humanely and safely dispatches the animal. If its paper or some type of reactive target take a 400 yd shot with a pellet from a .22 cal pcp. Have fun with it and stretch those limits in those situations. Its all about fun at that point and no risk of maiming an animal.

Reactions: rangur1
If all you're doing is plinking at an entry level for enjoyment, then I'd say save your money and stick with pellets.

Now if you're a little more advanced and you like to push the boundaries, slugs will possibly be quite rewarding for you. The PO of my Bullboss put a LW barrel in it and would regularly stretch his shooting sessions to 100+ yards.

I haven't tried shooting it past 100, but it's nice to know that this particular rifle shoots both pellets and slugs with amazing accuracy.