Slugs VS Pellets, whats your view?

Actually I can and do shoot my 22rf in my back yard. Not with regular ammo though. With the right subsonic ammo and barrel length it's just as quite just as accurate and because of bullet construction much safer then my fx 500 pcp shooting pellets. I don't shoot slugs from it but if I need that kind of energy I have regular 22rf ammo. It's a big blue world with all kinds of options shoot what you like be safe and have fun doing it.
Some places are more liberal, other places more strict, for sure. In some places, it doesn't even matter if it's subsonic; just the discharge of a firearm can make life interesting.

As long as we stay safe and follow pertinent laws, have fun with it. 😎

The amount of energy retained down range is a pretty big advantage with slugs. Put the BC and weight into a calculator and look at the FPE at 50 and 100yds compared to a pellet. The weight is part of it but the BC also makes a big diff. The heaviest pellets have similar advantages but not as great as a slug.

I'm only just beginning to mess with some 20gr slugs but boy do they hit hard compared to 18gr pellets. Not sure I really need it as I mostly work on squirrels or smaller but the slugs seem like they would be entirely ethical up to raccoon sized game Inside 100yds. I'm talking about .22 in this case.
Kingsqueak I am relatively new to this slug thing and read all the time about calculations, where Is a good place to find out about these calculations and are there any small hand held things to figure these out. Would greatly appreciate your information.

Kingsqueak I am relatively new to this slug thing and read all the time about calculations, where Is a good place to find out about these calculations and are there any small hand held things to figure these out. Would greatly appreciate your information.
On the web just search for "pellet foot pound energy calculator" on a phone or tablet there is Chairgun and Strelok that will calculate not just FPE/ft lbs but also trajectory and other things.

The basic calculation is weight of the pellet and the speed to figure out the FPE, or ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.

The tricky math from the manufacturers is always FPS, but ok, 1000 fps but for what weight pellet? 890 fps with a 25gr pellet is a lot more energy than it is with an 8gr pellet. The heavier pellet will have more energy down range as well. Slugs hold on to that energy longer than pellets too, due to their slipperier ballistic coefficient. Higher FPE means higher impact energy and at longer distances too.

most maufacturers list the upper limit for the 'standard' weight pellet right at the muzzle .. it assumes everything is in perfect order and few guns ive seen actually hit it out of the box without being cleaned up and gone through .. brings up another point though .. put a what, 25g slug in a .22 or just get a bigger gun, a .25 .. i know i know bc and all that fancy crap .. dont mean much 'out there' unless your just looking for that specifically or popping paper with gold plated expensive ammo, but if thats your thing its ok .. i dont buy slugs are all that and a bag of double topping doritos though that you just got to have to shoot well lol .. no i dont ..

most maufacturers list the upper limit for the 'standard' weight pellet right at the muzzle .. it assumes everything is in perfect order and few guns ive seen actually hit it out of the box without being cleaned up and gone through .. brings up another point though .. put a what, 25g slug in a .22 or just get a bigger gun, a .25 .. i know i know bc and all that fancy crap .. dont mean much 'out there' unless your just looking for that specifically or popping paper with gold plated expensive ammo, but if thats your thing its ok .. i dont buy slugs are all that and a bag of double topping doritos though that you just got to have to shoot well lol .. no i dont ..

Dude why are you so miserable lol
BC and fancy crap? You don't need slugs to shoot well but you need slugs to shoot distance, plain and simple. Stop hating on people who want to achieve more.

totally what he said .
I have two types of guns -

One type is a fire arm that shoots slugs by nature.
The other type is air powered, which shoots pellets.

They both serve their purpose just fine as designed. No need to intermix them.

Mike

I don't see as a VS, don't se it as one or the other

I have guns I shoot bullets out and guns that I shoot pellets dependsw hat that gun intended use is,

My .25 Winchester I shoot Baracuda because it's very accuarte with it and that gun is for sniper hunting.

My Miny Carbine .25 I shoot 29.5gr NSA because she is a walking hunter.

My Bulpup .25 I shoot 34gr JSB because it's an other blind/sniper hunter.

Actually I can fire off my 22 lr in my back yard;) So you think a pcp shooting a slug the same weight or heavier than a 22 lr at 1,000 fps is some how safer than shooting a 22 lr? If you couldnt safely shoot a 22 lr you wouldnt be able to safely shoot that high power tuned pcp shooting slugs. If you are pushing a 34 gr. slug at 1,000 fps you are almost the same energy as standard velocity 22 lr ammo.
What is the extreme range of a high-BC 22 airgun slug? Let's say you accidentally shoot pointed up at 45 degrees. I know a 22LR standard velocity is about 1,600 yards per my NRA "Firearms Facts" handbook. Curious..

Reactions: qball
they seem to be very accurate at my max hunting distance of 50yrds
challenger SL 50yrds.jpg

Last edited:
Some places are more liberal, other places more strict, for sure. In some places, it doesn't even matter if it's subsonic; just the discharge of a firearm can make life interesting.

As long as we stay safe and follow pertinent laws, have fun with it. 😎
Here in PR..you can't shoot PB no matter how big is your land. Is simply illegal, you will see a judge pretty quick..and shooting ranges end at 200y..unless is a military range n you manage to be in the selected few. Then you have 1000y + .. so is easier to find land to use HP airguns to shoot 600y + than us PB..

Here in PR..you can't shoot PB no matter how big is your land. Is simply illegal, you will see a judge pretty quick..and shooting ranges end at 200y..unless is a military range n you manage to be in the selected few. Then you have 1000y + .. so is easier to find land to use HP airguns to shoot 600y + than us PB...

Mercado...does that apply even if you're out in the country side? I know most places you'll see the judge pretty quick if it's in a residential area, but usually in the less populated areas they're a little more lenient. At least in the US.

Most of the time you don't need to worry about plinking with your air rifle in the backyard, but I think I remember reading that some places won't let you use even those.

Mercado...does that apply even if you're out in the country side? I know most places you'll see the judge pretty quick if it's in a residential area, but usually in the less populated areas they're a little more lenient. At least in the US.

Most of the time you don't need to worry about plinking with your air rifle in the backyard, but I think I remember reading that some places won't let you use even those.
Yup .. not even if you are shooting in your 50 acres..I imagine that is because there is really nothing to hunt here..aside from maybe small pigs and iguana...only designated shooting ranges.

Right tool for the right job.

I'm strickly pellets and no more than 22 cal cause of the way I shoot on my 2 acre yard. Too much oomph and the pellet leaves my property I don't want any injuries/damages/or problems. Airgunning is pure entertainment for me and not a needs based activity (like pesting) so LOW AND SLOW gets the job done for me.

Yup .. not even if you are shooting in your 50 acres..I imagine that is because there is really nothing to hunt here..aside from maybe small pigs and iguana...only designated shooting ranges.
Wow...something new I learned. One would think they'd at least allow airguns to help keep the iguana population under control (I've heard that they are causing considerable damage).