Slugs VS Pellets, whats your view?

There are good groups, and there are lucky groups. My best always fall in the second category! But, an average of 5 or 6 groups tells the difference. If the 10 to 20 mph winds were at all variable, that's very fine shooting.
It was hard to tell if I'm being honest. I was in the middle of tuning of my alpha wolf , first group in this post is the beginning of the tune, second group is the middle, the group above was the last n I called it there

20220619_112950.jpg
20220619_112954.jpg

🔸(1)
I live smack between the ocean and the mountains — two places where the winds love to howl like a pack of wolfes at fullmoon.
So, I really like the high BC of slugs, as qball already illustrated so well.

🔸(2)
If I have angled shots without a backstop (trees, etc.) I need about a mile of deserted land behind it if I want to shoot slugs — no matter where they return to earth, their high BC will give them enough impact energy to possibly do some damage. So, a pellet is the pill of choice for quarry high up.

But for quarry on the ground slugs deliver more energy on impact, which can contribute to a better kill.

However, the cows in some of my permissions wouldn't be fond of a ricochet hitting their hide. I already have had a pellet do that trick. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I immediately called the famer and offered to pay for any and all treatment — he declined. Nice guy.

🔸(3)
I feel a strange fascination with long range shooting:
Meaning... — the act of crunching and dialing a bunch of numbers (MV, BC, weight, range, angle, wind, pressure), pulling the trigger, and actually HITTING something seems like magic to me. 😊

But, the farther the shot the higher the BC needs to be, not just to reduce extreme wind drifts, but also to actually get the projectile to its destination... — typical pellets loose their velocity very quickly beyond 100y, and dialing 100moa goes beyond the scopes I can afford, even with adjustable rings at max.

🔸 (4)
I have no experience with point (4), as my guns at this point are rather meek and mild.
However, one hears and watches things:
▪ Some slug models expand much better than some others. Such expansion would contribute to a better kill.
▪ Then we add the higher impact velocity due to their higher BC into the mix, which also aids in hollow point expansion.
▪ And it adds more power on impact.
Another factor for the mix are the super heavy slugs (no pellets come in those weights). They permit a greatly increased muzzle energy, while still staying subsonic. But the quarry would get a hole lot more energy delivered to their soon-to-be-dead body.

Possible results of this mix:
➔ At some point, I would expect that using this mix would produce kills that are rather spectacular, with red mist, puffs of feather clouds, quarry getting knocked backwards, and general disintegration.

🔸"vs."
The word "vs." in the thread title sounded like we are squaring off one against the other.... 😉
We've already had several of those discussions slash fights.
I think it is far more enriching if we combine them — the right tool for the job.

⭐ These are great times to be an airgunner!

Matthias

I was skeptical about slugs for a long time. I tried them in several of my rifles and found they were less accurate. I then got into 100 yard benchrest shooting at Trenier Outdoors. The winds there are very unpredictable. I was moderately successful with pellets, but got my butt handed to me by the slug shooters, so I looked into this further. I did learn that to make slugs successful, you have to shoot them at higher velocities that are beyond what you can shoot pellets. Pellets are ok up to about 920 fps, depending on the caliber and weight. That means, in order to shoot slugs successfully, you have to tune the gun to get the slugs to shoot 950 fps and higher. That worked for me, but I only shoot slugs in long range competition. Anything else, I use pellets and tune the gun down. It was obvious to me that wind affects pellets much more than slugs, so if you are a good wind shooter, great. If not so much like me, shoot slugs. I don't hunt so, it matters not in that regard.

Slugs vs Pellets = Sludge Hammer vs Framing Hammer.

Use the right tool for the job, IMHO.

I use 124gr .357 slugs at 100 yards when I have dog sized pests and under and I need to not be concerned about Kentucky Windage.

Any pest birds get 14.3gr pellets at close range, out to about 40 yards.

Not gonna break up concrete with a framing hammer, not gonna pound 8 penny nails with a sludge hammer.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I was skeptical about slugs for a long time. I tried them in several of my rifles and found they were less accurate. I then got into 100 yard benchrest shooting at Trenier Outdoors. The winds there are very unpredictable. I was moderately successful with pellets, but got my butt handed to me by the slug shooters, so I looked into this further. I did learn that to make slugs successful, you have to shoot them at higher velocities that are beyond what you can shoot pellets. Pellets are ok up to about 920 fps, depending on the caliber and weight. That means, in order to shoot slugs successfully, you have to tune the gun to get the slugs to shoot 950 fps and higher. That worked for me, but I only shoot slugs in long range competition. Anything else, I use pellets and tune the gun down. It was obvious to me that wind affects pellets much more than slugs, so if you are a good wind shooter, great. If not so much like me, shoot slugs. I don't hunt so, it matters not in that regard.

I do not see a DISADVANTAGE to slugs, in fact I do see their advantages, however not every air rifle can shoot slugs as I've come to find out and like @qball stated, it is a terrific rabbit hole so I kind of just asked myself a question here within this thread in order to get the responses from others and I am really glad I did, this place is a wealth of knowledge and I plan to take full advantage of it.. TBH when it comes time for me to go to slugs I think I will end up with an Airforce .257 , tried and true.

In a 50y N50 Benchrest match….I would never choose pellets over slugs. My slug setup will typically outscore 22 MRD by 5-7 points at least in light wind. In heavy wind it’s much higher. 22 MRD pellets blow 1/4” per mph at 50y….my slugs blow 1/3 that distance. A misreading of a 1 mph wind….which is barely discernible will put you off the 10 ring with pellets.

If someone shoots a group 1/2” off POA in a 10-20 mph wind with pellets at 50y….they are clicked into the wind or it’s not 10-20 in the lane the pellet is traveling. There are no other options.

Mike

be nice if Jeff put a few shoots on this year its closest to me hour 1/2 or so, would like to shoot in some 100 yard stuff for fun of it

In a 50y N50 Benchrest match….I would never choose pellets over slugs. My slug setup will typically outscore 22 MRD by 5-7 points at least in light wind. In heavy wind it’s much higher. 22 MRD pellets blow 1/4” per mph at 50y….my slugs blow 1/3 that distance. A misreading of a 1 mph wind….which is barely discernible will put you off the 10 ring with pellets.

If someone shoots a group 1/2” off POA in a 10-20 mph wind with pellets at 50y….they are clicked into the wind or it’s not 10-20 in the lane the pellet is traveling. There are no other options.

Mike

Good to see people posting about different applications, the worlds a crazy thing, natures a crazy thing, I know how the wind is in the very little valley and lane I shoot in at home, trees all around to indicate whats happening from me to the target , doesn't matter what other options their aren't just what happens at the point of impact. What I have learned is, a lot of data can be plugged in here and plugged in there, however its the results that actually matter and thats why I am glad so many are commenting on this post.

I tune for both, slugs and pellets. I also write down scope settings for both.
If the wind comes up , I'll switch to slugs, better BC than pellets. Normally I shoot 25.39 jsb kings, cheaper and are very accurate while at home and hunting.
As i said earlier, if the wind warrents it, the slugs I shoot are 26 gr or 26.8 gr. slugs. Being close to the same weight as the Kings, it's a fairly easy tune up to get them shooting well with out having to deal with the reg pressure.
Lots of options, but be prepared to burn up alot of ammo while finding duel tuning options.

be nice if Jeff put a few shoots on this year its closest to me hour 1/2 or so, would like to shoot in some 100 yard stuff for fun of it
Actually, Jeff doesn't put on the shoots since it takes time away from his business. There is a loose group of us that use his range kinda on a spur of the moment basis. Bill D. is planning a 100 yd shoot sometime in July. Nothing cast in stone yet.

When I got into this my interest was high velocity slugs at long range. so my first air rifle was a 22 with a 700 mm barrel and the heavy slug liner. I can only recall shooting pellets out of it one time. I was and remain interested in shooting slugs
Enter the second PCP. That 700 mm barrel just does not suit my vision of a field gun, so for the second gun I went with the 500 mm compact and upped the ante with 25 cal. It will be hard for me to reach past the Compact now for the slug gun for hunting. I have shot none, zero slugs out of the 25 and at this point have no real interest in doing so.
The slugs have their place. In the wind there is no question about a slug‘s advantage. They are much flatter shooting than pellets and by caliber you can increase the weight of your projectile beyond the limit of a pellet.
I can’t say I am enamored with 22 pellets. They are fine and my wife shoots nothing but. However the 25’s are a whole nother thing for me. My Compact is more accurate than the slug gun out to 50 yards, probably a little further than that. My hunting style does not require long shots. I like to hunt and not snipe. I want within 60 yards and at those ranges pellets shine with their accuracy.
I am trending away from slugs for most of my shooting but there are plenty of people here with way more experience than me that are going the other way.
I think it depends on what you are asking your air gun to do as to which projectile is going to suit you best

Reactions: MEC17670
pellets <50yrds, slugs >50yrds
pesting or hunting with .22 & .30

just pellets in my .357 due to better accuracy, and slugs only in my .50's
Gendoc! Still got that BD Carbine. :)

For me, slugs will depend on the rifle. If she likes em and shoots then accurately, then I'll opt for slugs; mostly because they're heavier.
The BD carbine I have is a firebreather, so putting 81gr JSBS in the chamber usually results in a loud *crack* and plenty spooked folks.

I have a Sumatra Long that doesn't shoot the EJ 43g pellets too well unless I turn down the power wheel. I use 48gr slugs with the power wheel at 14 of 16 clicks. Clover leaf or same hole all day if I do my part.

Reactions: gendoc
When there’s a 10-20mph crosswind, I don’t even shoot my powder burners. If the wind is gusting to 20mph, I have a hard time not getting my truck door ripped out of my hand. You guys are either truly amazing or need to upgrade what you’re using to read the actual wind velocity on your range while you’re shooting. A 3-5mph crosswind will wreak havoc on my slug groups at 75yrds and they’re 32gr going 970fps.

Well they said that slugs are less of a drag when shooting in the wind ( which we have in spades in Denmark )
BUT ! i have seen my slugs go flying in a gust of wind, and if a prolonged one i have clicked to compensate, only to see my shots land on the other side once the gust fade out, so right now i am working hard on not clicking too much on that account,
i have even noticed some up / down issues when shooting ( slightly uphill ) with the wind in the back.

Distance ? well i would think it matter too but as i only shoot .177 then the 100 M i streach it out to, is the MAX but out there some pellets also work good enough to be wholesome,,,,, when there are little to no wind.

When there’s a 10-20mph crosswind, I don’t even shoot my powder burners. If the wind is gusting to 20mph, I have a hard time not getting my truck door ripped out of my hand. You guys are either truly amazing or need to upgrade what you’re using to read the actual wind velocity on your range while you’re shooting. A 3-5mph crosswind will wreak havoc on my slug groups at 75yrds and they’re 32gr going 970fps.

Ill be honest, I just go off what accuweather says and compare to what its said at other times lol, I do plan to get the proper equipment to read wind well at the range.