Slugs vs Pellets at 100yd

Apohlo

Jun 12, 2022
Wisco
Made the shooting bench my home for a good part of yesterday to run some slugs through the mighty Brocock Bantam Sniper HR Magnum and was very impressed with my initial results.
0904220900a.jpg

I previously tuned the rifle to shoot the 21.14gr H&N Baracuda Match 5.51 at 900fps.
I got great groups with that pellet but would get occasional flyers at long range.

Out comes the 23gr Cup base .2193 AVS slug. It's a nice looking projectile! I increased the hammer a bit (reg set at 155) and 5% from peak got me to shoot the slugs at 890fps.
0904220902.jpg

The target tells the story...
(10 shot 100yd w/ pellets with a right to left crosswind)
0904220913a.jpg

(And the first 3 shots with slugs in same shooting conditions)
0904220913.jpg

Only downside I can see is that the slugs don't sit in the brocock or carm rotary mags super well, but the 21gr Baracuda's now sit at 930fps accurately so have a closer range option and can single load slugs for when the starlings sit further!

Next up, seeing how the 34gr shoot at the ~750fps they come out at...

Made the shooting bench my home for a good part of yesterday to run some slugs through the mighty Brocock Bantam Sniper HR Magnum and was very impressed with my initial results.
View attachment 287609

I previously tuned the rifle to shoot the 21.14gr H&N Baracuda Match 5.51 at 900fps.
I got great groups with that pellet but would get occasional flyers at long range.

Out comes the 23gr Cup base .2193 AVS slug. It's a nice looking projectile! I increased the hammer a bit (reg set at 155) and 5% from peak got me to shoot the slugs at 890fps.
View attachment 287610
View attachment 287611
View attachment 287612

Only downside I can see is that the slugs don't sit in the brocock or carm rotary mags super well, but the 21gr Baracuda's now sit at 930fps accurately so have a closer range option and can single load slugs for when the starlings sit further!

Interesting. So I’m seeing you are shooting with the Brocock mag = 23 in barrel. If I read your gun specs correct. I shoot my Brocock commander XR mag velocity at 878 = set on high 43.47ft/ lbs shooting JSB jumbo monster pellets in 25.39 gr. Out to 40 yds pellets inside pellet. But for longer ranges 50-100 yds I shoot the JSB knockout slugs 25.39 gr cal 217 and I don’t have to change any settings. And I’m shooting off my bi pods against my shoulder ‘ no sand bag at rear butt stock ‘ at 65 and 100 yds scope is at 24 on the 6-24x50. And if I can hold my breathing I’m getting a 10 shots in the 1/4” with one just out side at 100 yds. Your Brocock should shoot something close. I’ve shot 22 match mag and it would be hard to come close to my Brocock ability’s

Picture is 100yds.

EC88F5C0-472F-4248-B751-45B16AB69D54.jpeg

3CD2966D-0DEF-4D3A-9B06-8F12DB3FFCAA.jpeg

Reactions: L.Leon and Apohlo
View attachment 287609

View attachment 287610
View attachment 287611
View attachment 287612

Sorry I forgot to mention the JSB knock out slugs fit perfectly in my Brocock rotary mags without having to push in or any modifications.

Oh I’m shooting 22 cal….
Impressive shooting! I thought I was doing OK... Then you come around and show me how it's done! I do have the 23.5" Lothar Walther Polygonal barrel shooting 22 cal. Good to know about the Knockouts. I think my groups would tighten in other conditions and I likely have some playing to do with reg pressure to dial in the setup. Not having it perfect now gives me an excuse to shoot more!

Thanks for the info and posts.

You know I’m new to this air gun thing but I’ve spent 45- 50 years perfecting 22mags & Black powder guns and long scopes for squirrel hunting. 100 yds shots with those was more hold over then these air guns. Now I’ve watched everything online and for our guns Brocock I see there’s a sweet spot for adjustments…860-879 … pellets are fun short range but after 40 yds I find them unreliable out at 50 yds but slugs
are what I love shooting the groups tighten up …. I was watching some of these FX shooters going high pressure plus 40 grain slug. Great for them. That’s not the case with Brocock…. Different beast. I had green mountain barrels for my black powder guns shooting moa at 100-200yds. The twist maters. But the poly twist barrels of Brocock is great but it has its limits on how much velocity it likes …. But if it’s tuned down a bit You’ll be dropping those slugs in at most reasonable distances. But what do I know. …. I’m just an old squirrel hunter.

Good luck on tuning down a bit. We have the same barrels. At least you can tune down with out draining your air. Unlike tuning up. !!!! Great luck on the range fellow Brocock shooter