Slugs vs Pellets and Airgun Power vs The Law

I wonder how long before Alphabet org classifies Airguns as firearms. Maybe we should start getting ahead of this before they come after us. If we can identify the lawyers amongst us that would be willing to take on any infringements on our rights and would be willing to represent our rights in court it would be a start to protecting our rights. Would like to hear what others on the forum think.

Can we just not discuss this stuff, the more its discussed the more likely its going to be in the eyes of who we dont want it to be. Lets just enjoy our sport.
Yup. I'll talk to a few people about airguns and whatnot but I typically keep the conversation geared towards the low powered stuff for a reason. I just smile when they ask if I bought any new BB guns over the weekend.

If you start down that road then we ARE on that road. To "get ahead of it" would be giving creedence to a problem that does not currently exist.
I’ve been thinking about this for awhile…

I agree but I do think there is one thing about air guns that we should change. Get rid of the word slugs, just the word. Every projectile an air gun shoots should be called a pellet just to help slow down or confuse those organizations. Waist pellet and non-waist pellet…

The media is who will get this started and turn it into a S4itstorm. And they aren’t responsible for anything they say or do, it will be us defending our hobby.

Reactions: JEFFPPC and Rodeo
I’ve been thinking about this for awhile…

I agree but I do think there is one thing about air guns that we should change. Get rid of the word slugs, just the word. Every projectile an air gun shoots should be called a pellet just to help slow down or confuse those organizations. Waist pellet and non-waist pellet…

The media is who will get this started and turn it into a S4itstorm. And they aren’t responsible for anything they say or do, it will be us defending our hobby.
How about solids

Reactions: 450BM
This is all really too much.
Don’t call slugs “slugs”, don’t ever for God’s sake mention a moderator, don’t discuss high powered air guns in polite company and if you are a member of the Secret Society of Air Gunners don’t you dare, ever never, ever enlighten a person ignorant of our hobby. What’s next? All of our “projectiles” need to be shipped in a plain brown wrapper like a sex toy?
I wholly agree with keeping people ignorant about what we do especially those who were are not allowed to name. Everybody knows that the best laws and regulations come from people who don’t know anything about what they are dealing with.
So we will cower before an enemy we are not allowed to name (absolutely absurd), crawl under a rock and enjoy our hobby in the shadows like all the rest of the deviants?
Do you think you are hiding anything? Every bit of information you want to cover up is on the internet. Did Y’all forget about your beloved YouTube? What about the online magazines? OH CRAP!!! All the folks that make all the stuff we buy and enjoy have websites!!!! And the ignorant naves brag about the power of their air guns, how quiet their little tube thingy makes your air gun and how accurate their projectiles are and this air gun is semi-automatic. Then the very worst offenders, FORUMS, just loaded with people who actually use these things, discuss them and share information about them, how to modify them and, and……….. IT IS ALL IN PUBLIC DOMAIN!
OMG!!!! You, you, you and yes you trying to hide in the corner are all guilty of hastening the demise of our beloved hobby. Ignorant scoundrels that you all are, participating on forums, thousands and thousands of us, post after post after post each one hurtling us toward the inevitable end of life as we know it!!!! Grab your tinfoil hats and head for the hills!!!! FOR ”THEY” are after us.

Last edited:
This is all really too much.
Don’t call slugs “slugs”, don’t ever for God’s sake mention a moderator, don’t discuss high powered air guns in polite company and if you are a member of the Secret Society of Air Gunners don’t you dare, ever never, ever enlighten a person ignorant of our hobby. What’s next? All of our “projectiles” need to be shipped in a plain brown wrapper like a sex toy?
I wholly agree with keeping people ignorant about what we do especially those who were are not allowed to name. Everybody knows that the best laws and regulations come from people who don’t know anything about what they are dealing with.
So we will cower before an enemy we are not allowed to name (absolutely absurd), crawl under a rock and enjoy our hobby in the shadows like all the rest of the deviants?
Do you think you are hiding anything? Every bit of information you want to cover up is on the internet. Did Y’all forget about your beloved YouTube? What about the online magazines? OH CRAP!!! All the folks that make all the stuff we buy and enjoy have websites!!!! And the ignorant naves brag about the power of their air guns, how quiet their little tube thingy makes your air gun and how accurate their projectiles are and this air gun is semi-automatic. Then the very worst offenders, FORUMS, just loaded with people who actually use these things, discuss them and share information about them, how to modify them and, and……….. IT IS ALL IN PUBLIC DOMAIN!
OMG!!!! You, you, you and yes you trying to hide in the corner are all guilty of hastening the demise of our beloved hobby. Ignorant scoundrels that you all are, participating on forums, thousands and thousands of us, post after post after post each one hurtling us toward the inevitable end of life as we know it!!!! Grab your tinfoil hats and head for the hills!!!! FOR ”THEY” are after us.
Yeah that's a lot of words just to say "I don't get the point so I'm going to lash out at the people who do"

Seems to me like he has the whole situation very well analyzed to me. Probably just me though ...
I'm sure its not just you but I think you're wrong and have a very narrow view of things here. I know for a fact you're a smart guy so I'm a little suprised by that.

Imagine you found a great fishing spot that nobody knew about. Every time you went there you brought home a big dinner. One day you decide to bring your friend and let him in on your secret. You both leave with your stomachs filled and happy.

Well then your friend decides to be a good friend and tell just one of his friends who then tells one of his friends and so on. Now when you go to your secret spot you come home empty handed half the time. Soon afterwards someone hears about this spot and decides to camp there. They don't even like fishing. They do something really dumb and someone gets hurt at there. The people in charge of that plot of land decide to fence it off so that nobody can enjoy it anymore. All because you told one friend who told one friend who told one friend they probably shouldn't have.

The information of the location of your secret spot was always readily available. Anyone looking for a fishing spot could have easily looked at a map and found it. The campers on the other hand probably wouldn't have even concidered looking there though and everyone would still be happy fishing, even if they're success rate was a little less. Could the campers have still found that spot? Sure. Would you have been able to enjoy it longer before things got out of hand? Absolutely. Sometimes its just best not to spoon feed the best kept secrets. Let them search high and low until they find it on their own.

I'm sure its not just you but I think you're wrong and have a very narrow view of things here. I know for a fact you're a smart guy so I'm a little suprised by that.

Imagine you found a great fishing spot that nobody knew about. Every time you went there you brought home a big dinner. One day you decide to bring your friend and let him in on your secret. You both leave with your stomachs filled and happy.

Well then your friend decides to be a good friend and tell just one of his friends who then tells one of his friends and so on. Now when you go to your secret spot you come home empty handed half the time. Soon afterwards someone hears about this spot and decides to camp there. They do something really dumb and someone gets hurt at there. The people in charge of that plot of land decide to fence it off so that nobody can enjoy it anymore. All because you told one friend who told one friend who told one friend they probably shouldn't have.

The information of the location of your secret spot was always readily available. Anyone looking for a fishing spot could have easily looked at a map and found it. The campers on the other hand wouldn't have even concidered looking though and everyone would still be happy fishing, even if they're success rate was a little less. Could the campers have still found that spot? Sure. Would you have been able to enjoy it longer before things got out of hand? Absolutely. Sometimes its just best not to spoon feed the best kept secrets. Let them figure out the magic on their own.
The thing you are not considering which I wish more guys would consider is this.

People who are interested in bringing us grief know how to use a search engine as well as everyone else. Vendors need to advertise their products and they do. Users want access to information and tests on those products and other users and vendors oblige them on YouTube and every other platform. Meanwhile Hunters and Fish and Game LEOs want this new technology in the field. That means the information you want to keep on the "down low" refuses to be kept there. What is going to cause us problems in this community isn't the knowledge of the availability of LEGAL air gunning supplies and methods. What is going to cause problems is the illegal use of the technology to replace firearms in the field. As long as we push that envelope we are in danger of creating a tool which will then be misused by someone for purposes commonly reserved for firearms.

You can't hide that. You can't keep it quiet. All you can do is educate users, LEOS, and the community and pray.

Believe me you don't want to get to a level we in Canada, just keep a low profile and quiet.
You know people have been telling Americans to "keep quiet" and "don't talk about that" too long already. I think you K'nucks should realize from what happened to your truckers that "keeping quiet" doesn't solve problems... but whatever. If you would show me the forums where airgunnery was talked about so loudly up there it got your rights taken, I'd like to see them.

Reactions: silvershooter589
I think a number of high profile crimes would need to be committed before any 3 letter agencies started looking seriously at restricting airgun use. Not saying it couldn't happen but that something drastic would need to occur before this rises to a high enough priority for even discussion on the issue takes place much less concrete action being taken.

I am concerned that slugs are closing the gap between air rifles and firearms in a way that draws unwanted attention but I think any real action is still a long ways off if ever.

Reactions: 450BM and OldSpook