Slugs - to lube or not to lube

NSA slugs come pre-lubed now. They shoot great in my dreamline. So do the unlubed FX slugs.

The lubed ones seem to foul the barrel less. I think. I've shot a lot more of the lubed NSA slugs because of the price point.

When I had a really tight bored hammer forged TJ barrel, lubing pellets with FP10 went from 50 shots between cleanings to 250 shots between cleaning, but that was a pretty specific use case.

I actually just did a test on this this last weekend before my new wildcat came in. My daystate Airwolf likes the .25 FX hybrids so I did a test shooting groups dry, and lubricated with ballistal, with slick 50, and with CLP. and the slick 50 and Clp were the clear winners CLP taking the minor victory it was amazing how much bigger the ballistal groups were. And I do believe it keeps the barrel Queen longer and it cleans much easier if you've been shooting lubed lead. 

I've tried different lubes and had good luck with them. Currently I'm using SuperLube pure food-grade silicone oil for the following reasons.

1. It keep the pellet/slug from oxidizing

2. It's food-grade so it's not a harsh nor carcinogenic as you get with Finish Line Wax. 

3. It's cheap

4. Since it's silicone, each pellet contributes to 0-ring lubrication

5. The barrel cleans with one, maybe two patches

I have some CLP...might have to give it a try but for the reasons above I'm sticking with the silicone for a while

Reactions: Fig
I've tried different lubes and had good luck with them. Currently I'm using SuperLube pure food-grade silicone oil for the following reasons.

1. It keep the pellet/slug from oxidizing

2. It's food-grade so it's not a harsh nor carcinogenic as you get with Finish Line Wax. 

3. It's cheap

4. Since it's silicone, each pellet contributes to 0-ring lubrication

5. The barrel cleans with one, maybe two patches

I have some CLP...might have to give it a try but for the reasons above I'm sticking with the silicone for a while

Would you please post a link to SuperLube that you use?

I actually just did a test on this this last weekend before my new wildcat came in. My daystate Airwolf likes the .25 FX hybrids so I did a test shooting groups dry, and lubricated with ballistal, with slick 50, and with CLP. and the slick 50 and Clp were the clear winners CLP taking the minor victory it was amazing how much bigger the ballistal groups were. And I do believe it keeps the barrel Queen longer and it cleans much easier if you've been shooting lubed lead.

What kind of CLP are you writing about?

I think there is a misconceptIon about lubing slugs and accuracy. Some people think that lubing your slugs will make a huge difference in accuracy but the majority of the time, this just isn’t the case. You might see a little improvement in accuracy, you might pick up a few FPS in velocity and you certainly won’t have to clean your barrel as often but it’s not some miracle solution for tightening groups.

I guess my point is that you shouldn’t expect a huge improvement in accuracy. There definitely are advantages and it won’t do any harm, so go for it! My favorite lube is the silicone version of WD40. I spray just a little on the white foam padding in the tin, shake it around a bit and then turn it upside down a couple times throughout the day.

I hope this didn’t come across as negative, I just wanted you to know what to expect. Have a great weekend.

Stoti

I would not lube our NSA slugs, .300 caliber and below. We clean our slugs and then dried under fans. After they are dry they are lubed and lightly tumbled to get the lube even and then bagged and boxed. We have switched to a silicone lube that is very slippery and seems to be very good and leaves a nice finish too.

Before that we used Slick 50 in a spray can which I used for years and works nice. The issue with it is it leave a residue which does not leave the bullets looking as nice after it sits on the lead over time.

Can anyone tell me if they know wheather or not this CLP is safe for o-rings?

16514440005082002574841.1651444100.jpg