slugs that shoot well in the 35 cal impact mk 2

Gentlemen;

I own an FX Impact mk 2 in .35 cal with a slug barrel that shoot very accurately when shooting pellets. I haven't been able to find a slug that shoots consistently well out of this gun. I was told that each gun has a liking for a particular slug, and that the FX company hasn't gotten around to determining which slug shoots well in 35 caliber. It seems to me that any quality slug should shoot well out of a slug barreled .35 if that gun shoots pellets accurately. It should be just a matter of finding the speed that sends that slug downrange accurately. Am I wrong, does each gun only shoot one or two certain slugs accurately? And if so, what slug shoots well in the FX Mk 2 35 cal.?

Thanks

Old and in the way

Are you positive about that as FX hasn't released a slug liner for the .35 only the superior liner and not a heavy. That may be why you haven't been able to find a slug for the .35. I have been in contact with FX about the heavy liner and they have stated it won't be released until they can get better results. That is why I was asking and not trying to be a smart guy.

Did you purchase a different barrel from another maker? There are more than a few of us with the .35 that are awaiting the release because we really can't keep good groups with the slugs. From the 79gr NSA's and the 93gr as well, we have tried with what I am guessing is the same issue you are running into.

Well,,,,, I was told by the dealer that this gun had a slug barrel, but that would sure explain what is causing my problem. I read on a forum that the 93 gr HP_FB 35 cal slug from Neilsen specialty ammo would shoot well, and most of the time it does, but I always get unexplained flyers. Does the factory barrel on the 35 have rifling? I remember the dealer checking for rifling, and saying "yes this barrel has rifling, so it is a slug barrel.

Well,,,,, I was told by the dealer that this gun had a slug barrel, but that would sure explain what is causing my problem. I read on a forum that the 93 gr HP_FB 35 cal slug from Neilsen specialty ammo would shoot well, and most of the time it does, but I always get unexplained flyers. Does the factory barrel on the 35 have rifling? I remember the dealer checking for rifling, and saying "yes this barrel has rifling, so it is a slug barrel.

Pellet and slug barrels are rifled so I would question your dealer's experience. The barrel intended for heavy slugs will have a faster rate of twist.

Not a problem at all and glad to assist. The superior liner does have a 1:25 twist rate and we will see what the superior heavy comes with. The .35 has been out for over a year and I really thought they would have the slug liner out by now. I have tried slugs but it didn't go well so decided to stick with pellets until they release the liner. 

I still am pushing 139 or so ft/lbs with the pellets so I'm pretty happy with those numbers. Stay safe and keep shooting; keep an eye out for updates as I check often and always post on the site. 

As above there are not widely available heavy liners right now, I have one in 800mm for my M3 but it doesnt appear to shoot any of the slugs I have tried (granted very limited availability in the UK) any better than the standard liner. 

They will be available more widely soon I am told. That said even with the slug kit trying to get the power high enough to push them really quick without smashing the crap out of the internals is not easy and I find my M3 shoots the 81gr more accurately at 830-840 but even slamming everything at what I would consider max I can't get much more then just over 900

Pete

Yes I do, I got it from my late shooting partner @spray1mark, like Mark did I have an extensive array of various FX liners and bits and got one out of curiousity

Only 2 were made that I know of so far (I am sure others have been made for testing etc but these are the only 2 I've seen or heard of), he had one and I had the other.

Edit: like I say above though, the power required to try and throw slugs at 900fps in .35 is immense and even winding my M3 up all the way it is very difficult to get the FPS required (as I understand it) to get the slugs moving and stable in flight correctly. I'm finding that the standard liner with 81gr does pretty well

Gentlemen; Thank you very much, one and all. I had planned to begin extensive testing (Damn the expense, time, effort) to find a combination that would shoot slugs from my impact. You guys have saved me a lot in telling me that it is not possible at this time. I agree with the statement from heavyimpact that my dealer knew not of which he spoke. As stated above, I will be added to the list of 35 cal owners anxiously awaiting arrival of the new barrels. My best to all of you guys that make this forum the best on the internet. Stay healthy.

Old and in the way.

@Pmanuk what's the twist rate in your liner and did you try the 79gr NSA slugs in the heavy liner? I would think you can push the 79gr up to 900 pretty easily as I am pushing the 81gr pellets with 1st reg at right around 175 or so and the 2nd reg at 130 bar-macro at 8 and micro at 3.5 and valve adjuster at 5 and 1/2 achieve 875fps with great consistency. If I turn the macro to 12 I am at 900-905 fps.

Just curious what that twist rate is and agree it will be more difficult to get higher rates of speed with heavier weight slugs . I'm also waiting to see if FX comes out with other accessories that can help achieve higher speeds as they have done with all their other calibers. One more question, do you have the slug probe installed or are you using the pellet probe?

Thanks

Hiya, 

I dont know what the exact twist rate it, never asked and never really looked into it, but it is different to the normal liner. I haven't been able to get the 79gr slugs here, the only ones I was able to get a hold of in .35 was 93gr (if memory serves - I'm not near my stash of pellets) 

I am admittedly over driving mine at 150bar on 2nd reg and 180ish on the 1st reg, to get consistent accuracy in the 840range I have to run it at 1/2 on the macro wheel and about 4 on the micro and a hair over 4 on the valve.

At some point when the motivation to get to the range again hits me I will down tune mine a bit, I only have the 1 800mm shroud so should I manage to get hold of some more slugs to test I will change the liner out and have a play.

edit; always forget something, I am using the pellet probe, don't think I have a slug probe that will fit/work in the .35!

Pete

Hey Pete,

NSA makes a slug probe for the .35 which is extremely robust and can adjust the depth of the probe. I wonder if that would help and if FX is planning on making a slug transfer port like the other calibers. 

Thanks for the information and I think the liner you have is one of the reasons they still haven't released in mass as of yet. Like I stated previously, I was told, by FX that they were still trying to perfect the twist rate but that it shouldn't be too much longer.

I guess we will just have to wait and see...