Tuning "Slugs Require High Velocity For Accuracy"

I wonder if the origin of the "Slugs need high velocity" thing comes from running on the edge of stability with regard to barrel twist rate. Example case: FX 44.5gr Hybrid .30 slugs were rumored to need 960 or 970fps+ to be accurate when released. At that time, the .30 Superior Standard barrel was 1:26 (it may have even been when they were trying to do everything with 1:37!!). Now the .30 Superior Standard barrel is 1:22, same as the original slug liner. FX claims a stability threshold of 50gr for this 1:22 barrel I have one of these barrels and I don't see much difference shooting the .30 hybrids anywhere in the 900-960fps range. I've also shot a small number of groups with 17-20gr .22 slugs at around 650-700fps in the Superior standard 1:24 barrel (stability threshold for that barrel is claimed to be 23gr). The increased group sizes compared to same slugs at 960fps, were small enough that it could easily be blamed on increased velocity spread (very light hammer strike at those low velocities).

A little data to look at. Looking at the 850fps vs 1050fps shooting 200fps faster you actually have 1.1" more wind drift at 100yds. Also energy lost your at 16fpe loss vs 29fpe. Speed loss 191fps vs 289fps. While you do gain in the trajectory no doubt, other parts suffer.

Drag. The faster you push something..the more drag it creates. The more drag something has..the faster it slows down...also..having more drag also makes it easier for wind to exert an effect.

"It's all about that drag, 'bout that drag, no f-p-s"

(think lyrics for "All About That Bass") ;-)