• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Slugs now allowed in 100 yard BR at Air Gun Oregon match May 2nd-5th

See post below for more information.
It seems like it's time to try this. We'll have two classes in the 100 y EBR event this year. Altaros Slugs is sponsoring the Slug portion prizes. Now we can see how much more accurate the slugs might be than the pellets on this target. What do you think? Will someone shoot a 250 score now?

See post below for more information.
It seems like it's time to try this. We'll have two classes in the 100 y EBR event this year. Altaros Slugs is sponsoring the Slug portion prizes. Now we can see how much more accurate the slugs might be than the pellets on this target. What do you think? Will someone shoot a 250 score now?
Can we shoot both slug and pellet class? Or do we have to choose one?

Last edited:
Can we shoot both slug and pellet class? Or do we have to choose one?
I can't see how you can shoot three cards of each:) Well... maybe if we don't fill the 48 slots for EBR, you could enter in both.. very interesting:) We are at about 35 right now.. But I have to wait until the last day or so, to see if someone new entering in three events wants that spot... don't you think?

Last edited:
I can't see how you can shoot three cards of each:) Well... maybe if we don't fill the 48 slots for EBR, you could enter in both.. very interesting:) We are at about 35 right now.. But I have to wait until the last day or so, to see if someone new entering in three events wants that spot... don't you think?
That sounds like a plan as long as the Finals are separate.

There is a lot of .30's out there, just limiting to 100fpe would seem to be sufficient, wouldn't it? Just curious.
I guess that does work too... but like Centercut said does that even work for accuracy? Most slugs will be in 25 cal and less at 100fpe or less.. is my guess.. We have a .32 caliber plug we'll be using for scoring, so that would be the limit I guess.

Last edited:
Hi Wayne, I don't really have a case. I typically shoot tethered guns for BR. The advantage is that you don't need to refill even if you shoot all day. I don't have any interest in building a slug gun with a giant air tank, or getting up during a card to refill multiple times. By tethering , You can also make low powered guns with small valves produce high power by using higher reg pressures than internal setups can provide. The air tube becomes the plenum so there is no need for adding plenum volume. There are no advantages beyond that.

Mike

Yes exactly. I don’t think power level matters. The higher the power the harder it is to hit the bullseye when you get much over 90 fpe anyway.
I’d just say Slugs .30 and under. Not even mention power.
Also, if there are 12 slug shooters or less, just have the final on Sunday and don’t waste time with qualifiers.

I add my view to the point of restricting power and other nonsensical rules and I feel the same way as other manufacturers of accurate airgun and top airgun shooters.

Tethering rules:

It's the same nonsense from the old era as pellets only on airgun bechrest competition. It is the same as if the competition with firearms said that those who do not have enough magazine or quite a large number of magazines, so that they will be disadvantaged as the replacement ammunition will be 50m from the shooting bench.

Tethering rules in previously tima it say an advantage that who has a larger bootle. As the old rule said that the best regulator is to have the largest bottle (not to have any regulator). And so shoters who life close to the competition place and do not have to fly by plane would have an advantage, as they can bring even a 12L bottle, while the others even 2-3L.

But none of this has been true long ago, since at the time of the external regulator that can hold pressure with accuracy to 1-2 bars even the largest 50l does not have the advantage at hi power airgun, as after a few shoots will supply a different pressure than 3l connected via an external regulator.

Even the extreme reverse organization that make rules for competition in 50m benchrest has already introduced the Unlimited Airgun class last year, where it is possible to use the slug and connecting the rifle to the bottle. They were pointlessly given the condition that the bottle must be in 3L or less, which is not quite one, as per one shooting even 3L bottle is enough, but nonsensical limits the shooter
that have only one bottle, for example, 6.8l and nothing else.

Today every youtuber is shooting with a bottle connected, the times when I did it practically only my self and a few other shooters 7 years back are long gone. It's just an evolution, it's more convenient more accurate, it saves air. I don't see a single disadvantage

At this time some shooters are adapted to this nonsensically rule and practically circumvent it with unsightly and impractical installations of 2L bottles on the rifle and what logic it is just to fulfill the pointless rule.

Oregon match event have opportunity to be the progressive competition that moves the competition in the right direction and which indicates the trend of others.

Becnhrest in the past has always been the most accurate competition and the emphasis on having as few rules as possible, because only the way it is possible to show what is really physically possible with the current equipment.

Let us return to the basically benchrest itself.

Another rule that should be deleted is caliber and performance limitation.
All you have to do is look at firearms becnhres. There is nothing like that, you can calmly with caliber .50 (if the shooting range allows) but nobody does it because they know that with 6mm caliber achieve a better result. This is the magic of benchrest, let people find the best way.

There are many competitions where there are many rules, so let's do some competitions where the rules are minimal to be open to almost every shooter with any equipment.

Most of the rules only bring restrictions to people and are created by people who benefit from it. Very few rules actually help most people.
Rules that make fair environment and prevent fraud are suitable, others just bother people and reduce participation in competitions

P.S.
If anyone thinks that I am trying to favor our products, they should realize that we do not produce any airguns or slugs in larger caliber than .25, so try to not limiting the power or caliber I'm certainly not doing this to favor our products, but because I believe it's a step in the right direction.

Yes exactly. I don’t think power level matters. The higher the power the harder it is to hit the bullseye when you get much over 90 fpe anyway.
I’d just say Slugs .30 and under. Not even mention power.
Also, if there are 12 slug shooters or less, just have the final on Sunday and don’t waste time with qualifiers.
Mike, I agree in theory, but at our range we have to collect the lead fragments, so we built targets with traps to do so. The limit of fpe our targets can safely handle without damage for the field target and 100 yard bench rest is 100fpe... so hence the limit there. We also have to limit the caliber to .32 since we have decided to plug all the targets with that caliber. So, that's gonna be the limits for our range.

I add my view to the point of restricting power and other nonsensical rules and I feel the same way as other manufacturers of accurate airgun and top airgun shooters.

Tethering rules:

It's the same nonsense from the old era as pellets only on airgun bechrest competition. It is the same as if the competition with firearms said that those who do not have enough magazine or quite a large number of magazines, so that they will be disadvantaged as the replacement ammunition will be 50m from the shooting bench.

Tethering rules in previously tima it say an advantage that who has a larger bootle. As the old rule said that the best regulator is to have the largest bottle (not to have any regulator). And so shoters who life close to the competition place and do not have to fly by plane would have an advantage, as they can bring even a 12L bottle, while the others even 2-3L.

But none of this has been true long ago, since at the time of the external regulator that can hold pressure with accuracy to 1-2 bars even the largest 50l does not have the advantage at hi power airgun, as after a few shoots will supply a different pressure than 3l connected via an external regulator.

Even the extreme reverse organization that make rules for competition in 50m benchrest has already introduced the Unlimited Airgun class last year, where it is possible to use the slug and connecting the rifle to the bottle. They were pointlessly given the condition that the bottle must be in 3L or less, which is not quite one, as per one shooting even 3L bottle is enough, but nonsensical limits the shooter
that have only one bottle, for example, 6.8l and nothing else.

Today every youtuber is shooting with a bottle connected, the times when I did it practically only my self and a few other shooters 7 years back are long gone. It's just an evolution, it's more convenient more accurate, it saves air. I don't see a single disadvantage

At this time some shooters are adapted to this nonsensically rule and practically circumvent it with unsightly and impractical installations of 2L bottles on the rifle and what logic it is just to fulfill the pointless rule.

Oregon match event have opportunity to be the progressive competition that moves the competition in the right direction and which indicates the trend of others.

Becnhrest in the past has always been the most accurate competition and the emphasis on having as few rules as possible, because only the way it is possible to show what is really physically possible with the current equipment.

Let us return to the basically benchrest itself.

Another rule that should be deleted is caliber and performance limitation.
All you have to do is look at firearms becnhres. There is nothing like that, you can calmly with caliber .50 (if the shooting range allows) but nobody does it because they know that with 6mm caliber achieve a better result. This is the magic of benchrest, let people find the best way.

There are many competitions where there are many rules, so let's do some competitions where the rules are minimal to be open to almost every shooter with any equipment.

Most of the rules only bring restrictions to people and are created by people who benefit from it. Very few rules actually help most people.
Rules that make fair environment and prevent fraud are suitable, others just bother people and reduce participation in competitions

P.S.
If anyone thinks that I am trying to favor our products, they should realize that we do not produce any airguns or slugs in larger caliber than .25, so try to not limiting the power or caliber I'm certainly not doing this to favor our products, but because I believe it's a step in the right direction.
Ok, I'm in..

But, let's not call it "Slug Class" anymore... How about we call it "Unlimited under 100fpe Class" and let tethering be allowed in that class. That will leave open more innovation and creativity.. don't you think?

Like was said above 32 caliber at 100fpe is pretty iffy.... And I have to limit to 100fpe for my targets. Last year the perfect score on targets from 115 to 260 yards was shot with 25 caliber 50gr Altaros at 885fps which is about 80 or 90fpe... Does anyone really think more than 32 caliber at 100fpe will work even at 100 yards? If so make your case..

Last edited:
Mike, I agree in theory, but at our range we have to collect the lead fragments, so we built targets with traps to do so. The limit of fpe our targets can safely handle without damage for the field target and 100 yard bench rest is 100fpe... so hence the limit there. We also have to limit the caliber to .32 since we have decided to plug all the targets with that caliber. So, that's gonna be the limits for our range.
Understood. No problems with that.

How about ONE Class at 100Y. Unlimited. Think out of the box. Slugs, Pellets, Ray guns, Lasers, Nuclear weapons, you name it. Must be .30 or less and under 100fpe. Those are the only rules. Period!

Tether if you want. 100 pound rail gun rest if you want. 10 inch or 50 inch barrels. .177 up to .30 caliber. 12 fpe up to 100 fpe.

No separate classes. Let’s see how slugs and pellets do at 100 yards mano a mano. If it’s calm the pellets still probably have an advantage. If it’s windy the slugs probably do. Maybe…

Let’s not play this class game and just shoot air rifles at 100Y. If you want to shoot 500 sighters that’s up to you. Or none. Who cares? The only thing that matters is your score… Oregon will be the first. Shooters are traveling for the EFT GP event. The others are just side shows.

Reactions: Altaros and tommyb