• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slugs- my experience

My battles with tuning guns for slug use have been as many others- trial and error. Until I met Steve from AVS . He educated me about variables involving slug success. Obviously proper tune, but , tune is length, weight, speed and twist rate of barrel dependent. Extensive testing and adjustments to garner the right projectile at the correct weight and speed for that barrel twist rate. But once there, you are golden.

My battles with tuning guns for slug use have been as many others- trial and error. Until I met Steve from AVS . He educated me about variables involving slug success. Obviously proper tune, but , tune is length, weight, speed and twist rate of barrel dependent. Extensive testing and adjustments to garner the right projectile at the correct weight and speed for that barrel twist rate. But once there, you are golden.
Spot on. It is in the.math, and in the science. I'm still waiting for the AVS .30 caliber boat tail slugs to get here so I can try them in the Evol 30. They look promising.

Spot on. It is in the.math, and in the science. I'm still waiting for the AVS .30 caliber boat tail slugs to get here so I can try them in the Evol 30. They look promising.
Boat tails? Really? I would think they are the last type that would work, given the power and twist rate, but then again what do I know. If Steve thinks they will work, why not.

Boat tails? Really? I would think they are the last type that would work, given the power and twist rate, but then again what do I know. If Steve thinks they will work, why not.
I have not done the "math", but have looked at the twist rate calculators and I think they will work well in the in the short barreled Evol's, similar to how well the old NSA rebated boat tail slug's used to work so accurately with a lot of these twist rates and barrel lengths. The rebated boat tail slugs worked exceptionally with long range shooting.

Last edited:
yes, yes , and yes.... usually! The problem is at the slow speed of air rifle vs, rimfire and or centerfire, we all jack our rifles as fast as they will go... and that's either still to slow, or beyond the accuracy of the rifle. Then comes twist rate.... when I chamber centerfire rifle barrels there are tons of choices in barrel selection, how many lands and grooves, rifling profile, and amount of twist rate... we don't have many choices with air rifle barrels, and lastly slug manufacture... cast or swaged, flat base or boat tail or dished or cupped, flat point or hollow point... all things to consider that balance the slug in flight.

I was shooting these boat tails at 100 yards today. Even at 780 fps they handled the wind much better than 17.5 NSAs that we're at 900 fps.
50903.jpeg
50899.jpeg

I agree .I watch Steve he is awesome.

Hi
Steve is a genuine gun nut lol
I reckon he had shares in crosman with the amount of money he made them bjesus I nearly went bankrupt he he.
His YouTube vids are so well put together and he takes more than enough time to explain" what and why he is doing it for,
I've watched him through his journey and he has done his homework /and I bet he still strives for perfection in anything he puts his mind too.
God bless him and may he get everything he wants in life.
The crosman 2240 the most expensive budget gun in the world " Thanks to steve" ya gotta love him

I'll bite and show my ignorance.......
What is "AVS"?

Reactions: dens228
Hey, new Evol .30 owner here. Curious what slug/ tune you found that performs best in your evol?
This will shoot just about any slug at about a 2 moa group without adjusting anything. If I adjust the hammer spring pressure to not disturb the pellet or slug with waisted air it usually tightens up the groups to sub moa. Because it was designed optimal for pellets, any slug between 45-55 grains shoot exceptionally and usually under an moa group, if I do my part. The short 18" barrel is the limitation on speed with the longer, heavier slugs. At a slight cost in efficiency, my regulator is turned up around 2250 and a heavier hammer tension so I can shoot whatever weight slug that I pull off the shelf that day.

I recently bought 1,000 rounds of the Rogue Precision slugs off eBay to test with decent accuracy results. https://www.ebay.com/itm/374626178033 They have little bearing surface on the heel end if the shank, so they are pretty fast out of the bore, but still decent grouping. Also, they seem like they are made with pure soft lead wire so they expand well in gel too. I'd like to see these made in 55 grains to see if the increase in length gives a big more accuracy without sacrifice in speed/energy.

Last edited:
This will shoot just about any slug at about a 2 moa group without adjusting anything. If I adjust the hammer spring pressure to not disturb the pellet or slug with waisted air it usually tightens up the groups to sub moa. Because it was designed optimal for pellets, any slug between 45-55 grains shoot exceptionally and usually under an moa group, if I do my part. The short 18" barrel is the limitation on speed with the longer, heavier slugs. At a slight cost in efficiency, my regulator is turned up around 2250 and a heavier hammer tension so I can shoot whatever weight slug that I pull off the shelf that day.

I recently bought 1,000 rounds of the Rogue Precision slugs off eBay to test with decent accuracy results. https://www.ebay.com/itm/374626178033 They have little bearing surface on the heel end if the shank, so they are pretty fast out of the bore, but still decent grouping. Also, they seem like they are made with pure soft lead wire so they expand well in gel too. I'd like to see these made in 55 grains to see if the increase in length gives a big more accuracy without sacrifice in speed/energy.
How have these slugs faired? I am seriously thinking about another .30 Evol to build into a PRS setup, every where I read everyone says they shoot slugs pretty well out of the .30 evols but everyones definition of a good group is different im finding.

Reactions: Centercut
How have these slugs faired? I am seriously thinking about another .30 Evol to build into a PRS setup, every where I read everyone says they shoot slugs pretty well out of the .30 evols but everyones definition of a good group is different im finding.
I can say for certain that it was consistently giving groups with any slug at 2 moa or better, not messing with the settings. The barrel was that good. The speeds really slowed down with the more surface drag of heavier slugs, but it's to be noted that speeds and accuracy were best between 45-50 grains for sure.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I can say for certain that it was consistently giving groups with any slug at 2 moa or better, not messing with the settings. The barrel was that good. The speeds really slowed down with the more surface drag of heavier slugs, but it's to be noted that speeds and accuracy were best between 45-50 grains for sure.
I am looking for MOA at 100, PRS doesn't need to be THAT precise as its just ringing steel at least thats what I find from the one event I shot at with PRS. I am gunna hold out for the end of the year and see if an HPS comes out if not I will try the .30 with the Hybrids.