Slugs in Springer?

James Macarri of Air Rifle Headquarters (ARH) told me a few years ago, anything over 9 grains in .177 caliber was detrimental to longevity of coiled springs. I don't know of anyone in the world who has more knowledge about airgun springs than Jim.

That said, if you can replace your own spring for $20, I wouldn't worry much about damage and just shoot the most accurate pellet.

Just as an experiment I tried 177 cal 12.5 gn NSA slugs in my AirTact to see what would happen. The accuracy was just fine, actually much better than I expected but the velocity was only 570 FPS. Since then, I detuned that gun to 12 FPE by shortening the piston spring and when I tried again to see what the accuracy would be, I could not even get the slug to leave the breach.

I found an interesting article regarding the effect of heavy pellets on springs which can be found here:

Some said earlier in the thread "heavy " was harder on a springer. I have no clue.
I didn't know that regarding a pellet being too heavy. I know very light alloy pellets could damage springers and gas ram because of the piston head slamming the breech with too little air cushion but too heavy is an issue? I shoot 16.2gr JSB Beast's in my R9 and get 624fps. Those are the heaviest 0.177 pellets I can find. Are those too heavy for a springer?
You can use those if you want. It will shorten the spring life. Which is pretty short to begin with. There's dozens of threads about ideal weight for a springer. The R9 of which I own two and tuned several others usually make between 14 and 15 fpe in 177 if it's running right. You're getting about 14 which is more than I'd expect for that rifle with that pellet.

Chronograph and accuracy testing will tell you what the gun likes. Every individual rifle is different but generally Hw95s and the Beeman rebranded version the R9 usually like midweight pellets in the 7.9- 9.5 grain range. My Hw95 does best with accuracy and power with either 8.44 Exacts or 8.64 FTTs.

This is a topic that there's a lot takes on. Generally a good pellet for a particular springer is one that provides the best combination accuracy and energy. This can take a lot of testing.

If you're concerned with wind drift and energy retention you're better off getting a 22 barrel for that gun. With no other changes it'll make between 16&17 fpe with 14.66 FTTs. That'll give you close to 100 fps extra and a flatter shooting gun over the combination you're running now.

HTH
Ron

I’ve shot the .177 JSB KO 10 grainers from my 14 fpe HW97 with pretty good accuracy results.

Actually, it’s currently what I’m experimenting with right now in the Weihrauch.

Two things stand out…
1) they hit really hard and do much more damage on impact than any pellet I’ve ever shot(at least on sparrows)
2) it really helps to “seat” the slug into the barrel 1/4-1/2” with a probe; this eliminates that initial hard startup and I’m almost positive it increases accuracy as it consistently seats the slug at the same depth; if you’ve ever shot them you know how hard it is to seat them all the way but once you get it past that first 1/8” it really slides in smoothly

I tried jsb 10.3 knockouts in my vortec tuned Diana 48. The velocity started out at around 770-760 but every shot after kept dropping. Can't remember the spread now (sometimes) but after doing the Chrono string they just sit on the shelf until I get either a .177 pcp or a sizing bushing to get the diameters consistent.

I tried jsb 10.3 knockouts in my vortec tuned Diana 48. The velocity started out at around 770-760 but every shot after kept dropping. Can't remember the spread now (sometimes) but after doing the Chrono string they just sit on the shelf until I get either a .177 pcp or a sizing bushing to get the diameters consistent.
Did you clean your barrel before trying the slugs?

My postulation is that slugs will quickly lead poor quality barrels.

Interested in selling the .177 KO’s?😉

James Macarri of Air Rifle Headquarters (ARH) told me a few years ago, anything over 9 grains in .177 caliber was detrimental to longevity of coiled springs. I don't know of anyone in the world who has more knowledge about airgun springs than Jim.
OK, that's good to know. I've shot only a few of the JSB Monsters and Beasts. Got a tin of each out of curiosity. I stay in the 7-10 grain range with the R9.

I found the KO work really good in my hatsan 125 sniper but when I tried some 12 grain nsa slugs it just didn't work.

Reactions: Billinoregon