Slugs in Break Barrels

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. For myself I have found NO advantage to slugs inside of 100 yards and while there may be a good reason to try them in a springer I can only tell you I’m having enough of a challenge shooting them in my impact MK ll such that I have no temptation to try them in a spring gun.

BUT some folks get a kick out of reinventing the wheel and I’m always interested in hearing about it if they do.

I'm very temped to purchase slugs for my Hatsan 135 .22 vortex ram.

Funny is it shoots the cheapo Crosman HP 14.3 gr so well even at 100 yard shots a cross the pond. I printed this target it 23 yard shot thru and thru are Hatsan 135 one inch sphere I printed with my 3d printer it was bouncing all over the place with the
BTN 292 as you see it pictured the Hatsan 135 hammered into the 4x4 and it remained stationary stuck to the wood. 

the plasitc is a flexible plastic this is why it did not explode into a million parts on impact.

1.1599939198.jpg
2.1599939199.jpg
3.1599939200.jpg

I assume the definition of "SLUG" to be the way heavier than normal for caliber pellets. I shoot .177 cal break barrels and for some who think the power isnt there.....

power is not the problem but rather many of the extra heavy pellets are microscopically larger in diameter and results in such a tight fit in the barrel that there is too much

friction and it slows the velocity way down. HOWEVER The H&N Sniper Magnum in 15gr 177 and the EXACT BEAST DIABLO in 16gr both shoot like gangbusters out

of break barrel rifles. Of course the muzzle velocity is way down at the muzzle but after about 25 yards the phenomenal improvement in the pellet BC results in greater retention

of velocity and much improved trajectories. I have seen zero sideways impacts so the twist rates must be adequate for these longer heavier pellets. I am searching for other brands and models of pellets that are of the slightly smaller diameter and will shoot well in the break barrels. Apparently the larger tighter pellets work well with the PCP rifles.

I think slugs would work fine in a higher power springer, but stick with known good slugs like nsa that are known to shoot well at low speeds. I think that a lot of guns aren’t shooting slugs well due more to twist rates of the barrels, and not just speed. Slugs need to be spun at a higher rate than pellets because that’s is what stabilized them. Pellets stabilize themselves to an extent, and so twist rate isn’t as vital. 
I would get some variety packs and try some out. Then post what you find. 
happy shooting!

I assume the definition of "SLUG" to be the way heavier than normal for caliber pellets. I shoot .177 cal break barrels and for some who think the power isnt there.....

power is not the problem but rather many of the extra heavy pellets are microscopically larger in diameter and results in such a tight fit in the barrel that there is too much

friction and it slows the velocity way down. HOWEVER The H&N Sniper Magnum in 15gr 177 and the EXACT BEAST DIABLO in 16gr both shoot like gangbusters out

of break barrel rifles. Of course the muzzle velocity is way down at the muzzle but after about 25 yards the phenomenal improvement in the pellet BC results in greater retention

of velocity and much improved trajectories. I have seen zero sideways impacts so the twist rates must be adequate for these longer heavier pellets. I am searching for other brands and models of pellets that are of the slightly smaller diameter and will shoot well in the break barrels. Apparently the larger tighter pellets work well with the PCP rifles.

Pellet on the left. slug on the right 

7E4790C7-C539-448E-AF5F-2A1BA2980151.1600026037.jpeg

Hi. I'm new to air rifles. I've got a black ops .22 break barrel nitro piston. Rated at 1000fps with alloys.

I bought some slugs but wanted to research using them first. Found this forum and here I am. I have read all the comments on slugs and have two questions. 

Does anyone know if for some reason specifically the black ops I have will be damaged by slugs i.e. getting stuck in the barrel? 

Also, it makes sense here that the heavier ammo will decrease the fps but I'm guessing it would up the fpe... is this correct? Being new please be kind if that's a dumb question lol.

Thank you

Hi. I'm new to air rifles. I've got a black ops .22 break barrel nitro piston. Rated at 1000fps with alloys.

I bought some slugs but wanted to research using them first. Found this forum and here I am. I have read all the comments on slugs and have two questions. 

Does anyone know if for some reason specifically the black ops I have will be damaged by slugs i.e. getting stuck in the barrel? 

Also, it makes sense here that the heavier ammo will decrease the fps but I'm guessing it would up the fpe... is this correct? Being new please be kind if that's a dumb question lol.

Thank you

As long as their sized .217, should be okay. Shoot the .217 .22 slugs at 23gr out of a Gamo Whisper Fusion Mach 1 and it shoots them dead on at 35 yards no problem. 

If you want to shoot slug accurate, get a pcp. They aren't made to be shot from a break barrel. Break barrels are too weak. Slugs need to be shoot over 900fps to 1000fps and break barrel wont cut it. Pcp is the way to go. Most expensive but you get what you pay for.
This is what I've been trying to tell these guys. Any one of the rifles you mentioned are fully capable of pushing a slug. Maybe not at a 100 yard but 50 without a doubt. And give me a break i shoot and hunt at least once a week. If I'm going to take a 100 yard shot at a animal i will use a modern firearms or one of my muzzelloaders.
Hybrid Slugs is the way on break barrels.

As far as I know, all break-barrel airguns are designed to fire pellets.

To fire slugs, you need an unchoked barrel with a relatively high twist rate as well as fairly high pressures, so you can shoot over 900fps.

There might be some break-barrels that can fire slugs effectively but I don't know of them.

Pump-style airguns have more things going for them, in that you can adjust the pressure on most.

Replies to questions regarding slugs vs pellets regardless of the launching platform end up the same. LOL To summarize: Slugs are great, Slugs Suck -Pellets are better. Pellets are better at these ranges, no they are not slugs are. I shoot one hole groups at 200 yards during a Hurricane with slugs. Who cares, My catch me F me pellet rifle shoots one hole groups at 200 yards while firing through a tornado. Some people shoot slugs and love them and will justify that decision with all kinds of facts and visa versa for pellet shooters. Every weapon shoots slugs and or pellets differently than another and a single weapon will shoot both differently depending on tune. If you want to try slugs, try them and let us know your results.

And above all, Don't shoot your eye out!

Last edited:
Reactions: TC724
I have had very good accuracy at only 760fps with slugs in my .22 Spa barrels. Once you have a gun that "prints" with them, you will never shoot pellets again. I have tried going back, but slugs are sooo much better with wind. The JSB KO is priced almost the same as pellets. A lot of break barrel rifles have unchoked barrels. Give the .177 slugs a shot. If you get them to work, they will out shoot .22 and .25 calliber pellets in springers. Just take care of overhead shots. They do trevel further. I calculated in Charegun some time ago that a 25grn .22 Slug at 900fps can travel some thing of up to 1km.

It’s all about fun so if you find something that works then use it. I haven’t heard much from slugs in break barrels being good but that doesn’t mean they won’t work. Personally I’d agree that out to 50y and under using a pellet is the best possible option. I like using hollow point pellets bc although they don’t expand at lower velocities as well they definitely slow down quicker in the target resulting in some nasty energy transfer. Like I said most importantly pick what you have fun/ good results with but so far it seems like most agree slugs are a no go for most.

There are advantages with slugs inside of 100 yards. If your main reason for them is to hunt..then youll get greater fpe carried further yardages.Granted you'll have lower velocities than a pellet but pellets lose thier energy faster .so what gives? A lighter pellet traveling faster or a slug going slower but hits harder at longer distances? .I've ordered some griffin slugs at 16 grain and will be testing in my .22 magnum .