• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Slugs in Break Barrels

I shoot slugs in my break barrel .25 for hunting. They work fine at 30+ yards. Each rifle is different you need to experiment with pellets. One of my .25 won't shoot a slug worth a crap but my other shoots them great.

There are springers available that have plenty of power to push a slug. You don't need to go to the dark side to use them.

Reactions: TC724 and crowski
People shooting 30 to 50 yards with slugs? Slugs are meant to for past 100 yards. Imo if you shooting like under 50 yards, stick to pellets. Pellets will have better accuracy at the short range. 10 to 100 yards I shoot pellets. Past 100 I get put the slugs. I've only tried nsa slugs in them cheap game whisper break barrel. Get like 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards. Tried same slugs in my impact slug liners and get under 1 under every time. 

People shooting 30 to 50 yards with slugs? Slugs are meant to for past 100 yards. Imo if you shooting like under 50 yards, stick to pellets. Pellets will have better accuracy at the short range. 10 to 100 yards I shoot pellets. Past 100 I get put the slugs. I've only tried nsa slugs in them cheap game whisper break barrel. Get like 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards. Tried same slugs in my impact slug liners and get under 1 under every time. 

You can stick with your PCP I'll stick with my Springers and still drop that rabbit or whatever at 50 yards. I don't like PCP and all the hassles that come with them. I'll grab my gun and tin and I'm out the door hunting while your pumping up checking regulators etc. I'm not looking for quarter size groups. I only need one good shot to accomplish my objective.

Reactions: crowski
I've shot some Rabbit Magnums in my Dianas. Neither the 460 nor the 48 liked them worth a flip. I chroned them and discovered what other folks are reporting here. Those heavy slugs and sometimes even the heaviest pellets just wont stabilize at the lower velocities you are going to get with any rational springer power plant. There might be some really heavy power plants like the old Diana 350 that could push .177 slugs fast enough but for the most part slugs are a PCP man's toy.

I used to shoot Kodiak Magnums in my 48. They will stabilize at those velocities but they simply will not shoot as flat as a medium weight pellet at hunting ranges. They will out fly the middle weights if you are shooting way, way out there but then you start running into the accuracy issues which are inevitable with springer velocities and long range.

Stick to a nice round nosed middle weight pellet if you can. In the long run it will shoot flatter and hit as hard as needed at practical hunting ranges.

YMMV

Reactions: TC724

You can stick with your PCP I'll stick with my Springers and still drop that rabbit or whatever at 50 yards. I don't like PCP and all the hassles that come with them. I'll grab my gun and tin and I'm out the door hunting while your pumping up checking regulators etc. I'm not looking for quarter size groups. I only need one good shot to accomplish my objective.

Ain't bashing on break barrel. But to answer op question. Slugs isnt made for break barrel. They just dont have the power nor accuracy as PCP does. Notice why no one is using any break barrels in any bench rest competition? It's all pcp. At 50 yards pcp can get hole in hole. And at 100 yards, under 1 inch easy. I only have 1 break barrel gun, the gamo whisper. And it cant do that on a million years. 

Under an inch every time Care to share your secrets to success . I’ve shot at least 1000 slugs at 100 and I’ve had very few . Same gun.

With practice and patience my friend. Also you need to tune your gun and mods too. Know what speed your pellets or slug is best, which pellet or slug your gun like, at what reg pressure. Get harmonic right. How to hold your gun correctly. You dont just go out with a impact and expect under 1 inch at 100 yards. You need to do your homework. Have you watch Ted's videos? He only shoot pellets and he can get 10 shots in under a inch at 100 yards easily. I seen people get 1/2 inch at 100 yards. My groups are average. 90 inch to .70 inch at 100 yards.

• Haha
Reactions: OldSpook
I hear different people with different results but I personally have used slugs in my old hatsan 125th with very good results never tried over 50yrds with them never had a need to. 50 and under worked perfectly fine. Just my .02

Same here how often do you actually shoot a critter over 50 yards. Most game I've taken is more in the 10 to 20 yard range. Slugs in my 125 does just fine. Will keep using them no matter what any of you think. 

I hear different people with different results but I personally have used slugs in my old hatsan 125th with very good results never tried over 50yrds with them never had a need to. 50 and under worked perfectly fine. Just my .02

Same here how often do you actually shoot a critter over 50 yards. Most game I've taken is more in the 10 to 20 yard range. Slugs in my 125 does just fine. Will keep using them no matter what any of you think. I don't know where you all hunt but where I live there's so much brush and bramble good luck seeing 100 yards into it.

My go to rifles are my .25 and .30 both break barrels. The .25 I feed slugs the .30 H&N or ploymags. Both will bust thru the brush and bramble unlike a .177 or .22

You'll never convert me to the dark side! Don't need tight little groups just one well placed shot.

Reactions: josh3rd
If you want to shoot slug accurate, get a pcp. They aren't made to be shot from a break barrel. Break barrels are too weak. Slugs need to be shoot over 900fps to 1000fps and break barrel wont cut it. Pcp is the way to go. Most expensive but you get what you pay for.

Slugs will shoot fine at lower velocities. I have shot sub MOA at 100 yards with the NSA 33.5 HP doing 740fps with my Impact. Shot it that way for a couple weeks until I ran it over the chrony and saw that it was shooting so slow. Then I upped the tune to near 920fps. NSA has just come out with a 26gr slug in .25 for lower powered guns.

I tried a slug in a breakbarrel. It was squishy and slimey. The accuracy was terrible. It kinda just splattered.

OH!! You mean those kind of slugs.... 

Seriously though. I can see a .25 cal Hatsan 130, 135 or 125 pushing a sub 30 gr slug. It wouldn't surprise me. It would be interesting to see chrony and accuracy results.

This is what I've been trying to tell these guys. Any one of the rifles you mentioned are fully capable of pushing a slug. Maybe not at a 100 yard but 50 without a doubt. And give me a break i shoot and hunt at least once a week. If I'm going to take a 100 yard shot at a animal i will use a modern firearms or one of my muzzelloaders.