• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Slugs for Airguns at NRL-22 matches

calibers under .30 can use slugs
Incorrect. Read section:

B. Divisions
6. Air Rifle division is for shooters using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet or slug.. Projectiles cannot exceed 85 grains and must be .35 caliber or lower. Projectiles must be mass produced. Tethered tanks are not allowed.

https://nrl22.org/about/rules-2023/

Incorrect. Read section:

B. Divisions
6. Air Rifle division is for shooters using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet or slug.. Projectiles cannot exceed 85 grains and must be .35 caliber or lower. Projectiles must be mass produced. Tethered tanks are not allowed.

https://nrl22.org/about/rules-2023/
“…Projectiles must be mass produced….”

Do they really mean “commercially available”? Meaning anyone can buy them.

Because I don’t necessarily know how any particular company is making their products. Any production process that uses a mold or die or cnc to make identical copies is a form of mass production. But do they mean something else?

Because I don’t necessarily know how any particular company is making their products. Any production process that uses a mold or die or cnc to make identical copies is a form of mass production. But do they mean something else?
Yeah that's a weird rule that seems unrealistic to enforce lol

First off let me apologize for my ignorance on this subject. I'm new to the "AIR NRL22". If I'm understanding the thread correct, one could use up to .35 slugs and compete in the nrl22. If so, wouldn't that (.35) be at a greater advantage over .22/.25 during a mid-range (275yds) and in match? If not please explain...
No. When compared to an 85gr .35 caliber, a 40gr .22 caliber would usually have a better BC and would probably be easier to shoot accurately.

First off let me apologize for my ignorance on this subject. I'm new to the "AIR NRL22". If I'm understanding the thread correct, one could use up to .35 slugs and compete in the nrl22. If so, wouldn't that (.35) be at a greater advantage over .22/.25 during a mid-range (275yds) and in match? If not please explain...

Everything has trade offs.

35 cal pellets don't have a very high G1 BC at approx .04 (much like all heavy pellets of other calibers) but the 35 cal H&N Grizzly slug has a BC of .1 which isn't all that high either but not bad.
The energy level would help sometimes on certain stages and sometimes it'd be a hindrance. If you have to spin those heavy spinners over and over again for extra points it'd help out but if you have to wait for a spinner to stop to engage it again it'd be a hindrance.
More easily identifying where you missed in the dirt or on a steel the extra weight helps because heavier projectiles upset more debris and make bigger splats on the steel. But controlling the extra recoil off of props would require more attention.
Definitely easier to hit smaller KYL's because of the extra width but also a slight edge (pun intended) on all the steel.
"""That is if the precision is there to begin with""".

Shooting pellets at 275Y doesn't work out well because of the low BC and resultant huge wind drift. Slugs are much more suitable and the higher the BC the better.

Personally I wouldn't go for a 35 cal airgun because of the lack of a large selection of different slugs and the worry of finding one that shoots well in a gun. Also if the magazines don't hold at least 10 rounds its a non consideration because it takes time away loading another mag that could have been spent better elsewhere. So to me calibers 22 through 30 are a better choice for NRL22 IMHO.

Just to give you a look into BC and drift at 275Y in a 5 mph full value wind using a 25 cal 34 gr pellet/.05ish BC/900 fps, and a Altaros 25 cal 49.5 gr slug/.21ish BC/720 fps

Pellet blows 30.2"
Slug blows 8.5"

Wowzers! o_O

Possibly. NRL22 only goes out to 200y (NRL22x goes out further).

My Maverick scored consistently higher in .30 with 44.75gr than it did with flatter shooting .22 slugs, but I haven't used it with .30 slugs yet in a match. The majority of NRL22 courses have targets inside of 100y, and this is where I've found the biggest advantage to using .30 (especially for the 1/2-1/4" KYLs).

Regardless of caliber, the main factor is obviously how well you can accurately shoot the rifle (PRS style).

Reactions: tibor
You can shoot slugs in Nrl22 matches

7B66418E-4557-4F02-AAD6-EA02B8403DD7.png

Mass produced… this rule is meant to keep innovation and enterprise alive. They don’t want to exclude a slug or pellet manufacturer from innovating new products. So making a mass produced rule, no information on what is considered mass produced, I assume packaging? At any rate, that’s the reason for the verbiage.