• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slugs behavior, any one have an explanation?

Fire012

Jul 11, 2023
Kuwait
Any one have any idea why the slugs act like that? i couldn't pin point the problem and start loosing faith in my gun! its not fun any more!

every time i shoot, i would have decent groups then an amazing group then hell break loose! i really need help or an explanation! thanks

CAP6577013787944368399.jpg

17014518673838613547699045097383.jpg

IMG-20231124-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20231124-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20231124-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20231124-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20231123-WA0012.jpg

Barrel fouling.
Option b. Another bad batch of Zan.
@Fire012
How often are you cleaning your barrel in your slug gun? Do you know if the barrel is choked? Have you slugged your barrel? I see you have Zan slugs. I've bought some Zan slugs that were improperly labeled and shot like crap. Have you measured your slugs?

Last edited:
Barrel fouling.
Option b. Another bad batch of Zan.
I didn't go threw my 2nd hundred slugs after polishing the barrel and checking the bore for the best fit. Also, i noticed some variation between the slugs i bought from Huma-air and the ones i got directly from Zans website. Zans website did better over all. a little tighter groups but still not that good.

Its incredibly easy to get lucky and shoot an amazing 5 shot group with ammo that your setup doesn't particularly love. Fluke groups happen and really shouldn't be your basis for potential
i'm shooting thoose around 960 fps. and it happen less with Zans. I tried JSBs 25 grn redesigns and it was so bad. FX branded JSB didn't do any good either.
Javlins, NSA, JSBs pellets and slugs all preform badly. the best match were the Zans.

My barrel needs to be clean when I shoot slugs, any slugs that do not load snug will always be a flier thru my RAW (non choked poly). A repeatable eye picture helps immensely with groups in tandem with the slug diameter which = spin stability.
Zans .219 28grn are the best for mine a cross all the others i tried. cleaning is a must for me " i'm a bit anal about that! 🙈" i even check the barrel with bore scope cam before and after each time. anfter the polishing it did hold its grounds a bit longer between cleaning tho!

i tried .219 22grns and it didn't preform that good. so i think the longer the slug is the better! full engagement with the rifeling as you said.

Last edited:
@Fire012
How often are you cleaning your barrel in your slug gun? Do you know if the barrel is choked? Have you slugged your barrel? I see you have Zan slugs. I've bought some Zan slugs that were improperly labeled and shot like crap. Have you measured your slugs?
I do clean it often. and to be honest, i only check the slugs wieght after cleaning "wash" and sort them according their wieght not the dimension and just trust the label and the feeling when i load them.

i have 2 barrels, L 500mm and X 700mm HP unchocked both.

Last edited:
I usually shoot at least 10 shot groups to see the consistency and never at closer distance than 50 meters or 55 yards 👍🙂

Clean the barrel more often for sure 👍
lately, i only shoot at home @30 Yrds so busy! no time for range. but i will try this week and see if a longer distance fix it. Thanks budd.

Last edited:
Reactions: SorenDrost
I was looking at the Krait a little under a year ago, and my understanding was it was designed to be a pellet shooter. I could be wrong.

Do you get the same results with pellets?
to be honest, i can't really tell at the moment if it a sluger or a pellet shooter! 🤷‍♂️ the build quality is really good and i feel it has a lot of potintials. but may needs a little tweaking i guess!

Last edited:
That looks like something is loose in the rings or mount or a broken scope.
I was thinking about that! since the scope is mounted on a bridge with two fastenning screws. it might get a shock effect when shoothing and that may threw the aim a little bit or barrel/shroud harmonic issues! 🤷‍♂️

BTW, i'm using Element helix 6-40x50 with quick release rings.

20231203_115519.jpg

20231203_115531.jpg

Last edited: