• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slugs at 375 yards...

Man, I was totally on my game. Was shooting the 26.8 NSA HP DB at 1040 FPS with my EDgun R5 Super Magnum. Had to shoot over three properties where I shoot to get the range necessary, plus use a 75X spotting scope to properly see the targets. I started by shooting soda cans, but that really wasn’t a challenge, since the wind was only about 9 mph gusting to 15. Then I decided to shoot wine corks at that distance and was routinely hitting about 3 out of 5. I was happy as a clam and the Eddy was firing on all cylinders.

Unfortunately I woke up from that awesome dream, and sitting up in bed realized that it wasn’t really possible... ;) Damn! I’m in Mexico, haven’t shot for two weeks, and must be going through Airgun withdrawal...

It truly is a bottomless rabbit hole. If you don’t shoot over about 120 yards there is no reason to waste your time (and it’ll be a LOT of time) messing with slugs. You need a lot of time, lots of slugs, and most definitely an air compressor. The only reason I dove in that hole is because I want to shoot the small bore slug challenge at RMAC. I hunt mostly ground squirrels and I don’t care who you are, head shots even with slugs at over 120 yards on more than a totally calm day involves a wing and a prayer, since your first shot must count and there are no sighters. I’d love to see first shot into a one inch circle at 150+ yards. Not the edited video, but your first shot at each target, different directions, different ranges... Easy. Just put four quarters at ranges between 150 and 200 yards (each at a different distance) one each N, W, S and E from your position in a breezy (doesn’t even have to be windy) day, and shoot a slug (one slug only) at each quarter. My money is on zero success, but someone might get lucky so I’ll say 1 of 4 would be incredible. 

Dreaming? Where's your confidence man! In all truthfulness, I opened up the thread hoping you would be sharing some wisdom on the 375 yard long range shooting. I've been studying on long range shooting of slugs and the needed setup for that lately. The goal for me is the one shot at whatever distance, in varying wind conditions, (without the benefit of wind socks or sighters.)

Ha Ha, classic! I know you're a great shot but I also know you had to be dreaming! I was about to call Bulls--t on that one! 3 out of 5 on corks at 375 in the wind!!! NOPE!!! I think because of all the edited videos out there, a lot of people have some serious misconceptions about the capabilities of slugs. I love them, don't get me wrong but so many people try them thinking they're going to shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds out of the box and then give up before they really spend the time finding the right slug/tune because they're not as accurate as all the guys in the videos. 4 quarters challenge? At between 150-200yds with no sighters, 1 out of 4 might be a bit optimistic!

Stoti

It's largely mental, but I do live for the days when my rifle + barrel + ammo + scope are all dialed in together. My problematic days are almost always due to trying different ammo, rifles, and/or calibers. I drive 75 miles each way to shoot once per week, so when I get out there and find that my home tuning job doesn't translate to my rifle liking that ammo, it's frustrating at best.

The good days though are nothing short of great. When I started getting the 43.5gr NSAs dialed in my MKII, I struggled to hit a small clay pigeon at just under 400y (930fps). I had the 4-32 on that day, and couldn't get over it being that tough to see POI (while kicking myself for not using my 7-35).

A few weekends later, I threw on the big glass and I had the rifle dialed up to 975fps and everything with that tune was harmonious (despite being somewhat unpleasant to shoot). I setup to break another personal record to shoot a can at 1/4 mile. When I warmed up for that, I was nailing my 8" steel plate at 375y 8 out of 10 times, but mentally that wasn't a big deal to me. I hit the can on my 9th or 10th shot, some degree of luck was there, but those shiny little beauties were dropping real close to where I was sending them each time. After I hit the can, the luster wore off and I could not hit the second can I had setup adjacent to it, so gave up trying on the second mag lol

Cherish the good days and don't make yourself miserable trying to turn a bad day into a good one when it's not meant to be. 

I’d like to see a 10 shot group at 375 yards.

Hitting a soda can at that distance if the group is as large as I suspect it will be is nothing more then luck.

your asking an air rifle to do what is plenty challenging for a 223 bench rest rifle to do under anything but calm conditions.

I think that was Mike’s point ( not to put words in his mouth). I’ve seen some of this on YouTube as well one guy was shooting open sights at a mile and after 140 or so shots hit what ever it was he was shooting at. He was happy all I could see was that he proved the bullets would carry that far .

i guess it’s fair to say we can all determine our goals with out air guns . 

@bubblerboy64 yes, that was my point. I’d be totally shocked to see a ten shot group inside of two feet at that distance. Maybe indoors, but certainly not in the real world. Perhaps on a totally calm day you’d have only the 26 feet of drop and 10 inches spin drift to contend with. Then, even with a light 5 mph breeze add in about 4 feet of wind drift... at 10 mph now you have 7 feet of wind drift. And if the wind isn’t steady (and when is it?) you need to contend with a 3 to 4 foot wind drift variance. I think you see my point. FWIW

Braxton and I are heading to an in door 100 yard range today to do some testing. We have probably six rifles to try and LOTS of ammo.

I’m going to guess we will still have difficulty shooting inch groups. I’ll report back and open another thread.

No punches will be pulled and no magic groups claimed to be the norm .

We’re doing this just to see what is possible FOR US neither of us claims to be a bench rest shooter but just an average JOE

Some real world accuracy under PERFECT conditions

But not with an air rifle... Awesome shooting! What type and caliber rifle?

Yeah I can't help myself because I love powder burners as much as AG's so I tend to - go there. I think it's good to make comparisons for knowledge's sake. 

The 200Y was with a top of the line 10.5 lb 6mm PPC single shot bolt action benchrest rifle. These guys find and ride a wind condition while shooting at very impressive speeds for a single shot. The 600Y was with a 6mmBRA.

If the wind is down the top shooters in the country agg in the .1's at 100Y for the whole 2 day match!

And here we rejoice if we get sub moa at 100Y with our AG's, right?!.

Maybe someday PCP rifles, barrels, and slugs, will begin to encroach on consistent sub 1/2 moa at 100Y?? Of course wind will blow a .1BC slug at 1000 fps a heck of a lot more than a .25BC bullet going 3300 fps!

Well we tried some 100 yard INDOOR shooting. First try at the indoor range. Shot three guns. My anschutz 22 , my 30 cal RAW and my impact Mk II shooting 34 JSB pellets did around or close to an inch at 100.

I tried some slugs in the impact and while I did not have time to shoot many I must say they didn’t show me much. Haven’t given up on the slugs but I’m certainly finding them challenging.

Both the RAW and the impact shooting pellets would put 3 out of 5 under a nickel. I think sorting pellets might help a little. My bench rest skills are average. It takes very little to pull a shot off a 1/2 at 100. 

Next time going to try a better front rest and sort pellets.