• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slugs are they worth it?

1590942419_20341958155ed3dad3452041.69851230.jpeg
I’ve been testing slugs ( I have tons of them) just never got anything that I felt was all that wonderful. I’ll be the first to admit the problem may be the shooter. I’ve got the latest and greatest equipment. I’ve pretty much given up . I don’t really shoot beyond 100 yards and rarely beyond 75. I’ve concluded that inside 100 you DON’T NEED SLUGS. 
I had a good calm morning for an hour this morning and I shot some groups at 100 pellets only Did well . I brought the target back to zero the guns at 65 yards. Here are two groups I ended with .
Five shots each at 65. Top group is my impact shooting 34 hr JSB the lower group is my FX crown shooting the 25 grs.
I happy with what I can do with the pellets. Some what frustrated with the slugs and pretty much figuring what do I need them for. I may in time fool with the slugs some more but for right now the adage “ if you try hard enough you can make any hobby work” seems to apply 

In .25 fx you need the superior liner to shoot slugs ok old liners in .25 shoots ok for hunting but pellets are better.

In .22 and .30 things changes as new slugs are arriving. Pellet liner shoot slugs pretty good (light ones...up to 28gn h&n, nsa, fxs) and slug liner heavy ones (sub moa @ 100y with the right tune).

The "need" of them will depend on what your hunt and distance. 

I usually shoot pellets for feather pest control and slugs for rabbits (they stay down usually more due the slug impact and expansion). Anything bigger than rabbits I use slugs.

Ime a year ago Slug shooting was moa +, 6 months ago was moa, as today the right slug with the right barrel and right tune is sub moa.

I just made a post about how great bullet from a discontinued rcbs 25 - 050 molds work on my cricket .. better than anything else I have tried..Nielsen, varmint knocker, jsb.is only point n shoot you can't simply miss .. I never imagined that it would work because is not the best looking bullet , compared to the 257 420 ...and I only buy some to try it in my 18" tj on the regulated buid....the point is that not everything is true about slugs still a lot of try n error to do pellets have years in the making...n slugs are only beginning....the bullet is available from hunters supply and been 44g I have one herd to be shoot from Sumatras n other very high power pcp most of the time with not so great results..never herd somebody using them on a cricket....they work so great that I'm having a mold made n will try to se if they could down size to 217 to have another made for my .22 cricket to try it.

I’ve got the superior liner. In the impact. And a ton of slugs. Maybe I’ve given up too soon? I’m just tired of testing

Did you shoot the fx hybrids .25? 

All other slugs where made before the superior. I have not tested yet, I quit .25 cal fx a while ago on slugs since results where much better in .22 and .30 and I was hoping the new superior will work better. 

I don’t have Superior liner in .25 installed yet. I bought a 600mm. I do fix hybrid .25 and my Hatsan Flash at 920 don’t like them. 

my buddy with his flash is shooting the fox hybrids at 820 with slug on slug but only at 80 feet hasn’t stretched legs yet. 

I’m really not happy that I misunderstood that the heavy Superior liner isn’t coming out for awhile longer that’s the higher twist rate barrel

my 600mm Superior is like 1 in 20 I think 

I bought a Ghost Wolf Airforce Talondor .22 Friday we’ll see how that does

I have great results from nsa 36.2gr slugs out of my impact mk2 25cal and if I’m just target shooting on calm days I then turn power wheel down to two and adjust the scope according. I also have an Edgun m5r standard that I only shoot the nsa 17.5 slugs, and the price is similar as jsb 18gr. Now with that said on very windy days the 17.5gr are just too light so I shoot the 36.2gr slugs. This is what works well for me and maybe I’m just lucky with the results of the slugs and the guns but I have no problem so far.