• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slugs all that?

Thinking about purchasing another new gun and want to jump on the slug train. For the people that have made the switch.. are you happy with the results? Are they worthless short range? Heard pellets still take the cake at short range. Also how much distance are you gaining (I know.. lots of variables, power, weight ect) typically?

99% of my shooting is within the point-blank range of my airguns 15 to 40ish yards so pellets are practical and accurate.

That being said, there is a lot to learn about long range shooting so I am setting up a slug-rifle for plinking (and maybe a bit of pesting) in the 100-125 (maybe 150) yard range.

Slugs are just another discipline for me, no different than 10 meter or FT shooting... all are entertaining.

I went backwards. No more scopes and slugs for me! I felt it took away the fun factor of airgunning. On the other hand, I do love to see forward progress of airguns.

99% of my shooting is within the point-blank range of my airguns 15 to 40ish yards so pellets are practical and accurate.

That being said, there is a lot to learn about long range shooting so I am setting up a slug-rifle for plinking (and maybe a bit of pesting) in the 100-125 (maybe 150) yard range.

Slugs are just another discipline for me, no different than 10 meter or FT shooting... all are entertaining.

I love open sights. Hunting less than 50 yards I prefer them. But nobody is implementing them on quality pcp guns.

To the OP, what gun are you thinking about buying?

Most my hunting and shooting is at 50 yards or less, with open sights. Pellets are extremely accurate and there are plenty of grain weights to choose between. Don't see a real need to shoot slugs.

I personally don't agree with the notion that slugs are less accurate than pellets at short range but more accurate at long range. Please provide a good explanation on how a projectile follows an inconsistent flight path at short ranges and then magically assumes a convergent, consistent flight path the further it goes. A projectile that is accurate at long range should also be accurate at shorter ranges.

I personally don't agree with the notion that slugs are less accurate than pellets at short range but more accurate at long range. Please provide a good explanation on how a projectile follows an inconsistent flight path at short ranges and then magically assumes a convergent, consistent flight path the further it goes. A projectile that is accurate at long range should also be accurate at shorter ranges.

Bingo. Great point. I think the answer is that slugs do not have a built in targeting device to get them back on target. If it’s MOA at 100 yards it’s MOA or better at 50 yards. 

Here are a few 9 shot 100-yard sighting in groups of the.22 21g .218 H&N Slug HP, bottom right and left 1-inch squares are where I stopped tuning, 933FPS, 120 bar, hammer 5, valve stop 3, 700mm slugliner, getting 104 shots from 250 to about 117bar. I wasn't convinced at first, but I gotta say that I can live with those flyers! At my 30m zero Its one ragged hole.

When slugs are the same price as .25 25g JSB's my migration will be complete, until then I still really like the .25 at 100 yards, but I know that the slugs will out perform the .25 past 100yards.

1580324407_19054059475e31d6372ee6f8.50798653_thumbnail_image1.jpg