• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slugged Barrel - Has anyone tried it?

I have been reading a lot on this forum and GTA regarding people washing pellets, lubing them as well as checking head and skirt diameters. I understand why you would want to do this trying to get better accuracy, but I was wondering if anyone has tried slugging their air rifle barrel. Slugging is a means of checking the exact size of internal size of the barrel. In the past, a person would use pure lead and hammer it in the barrel and then remove it. Using a set of mic's, they could determine the size of rifle round they would need to match the barrel. Now there is simpler method to use and you no longer have to hammer the lead in. When firearms have been recovered after a crime has been committed and it can no longer be fired, this is a common method for the examiner to use to see if the recovered slug from the body matches the weapon recovered.

My thoughts is if you knew the size of the slug you made, you can then match it to the pellet head size to get it even more precise.