Slug Won't Fit

Was shooting my 22 Cal RTI Prophet II today. First time using this barrel. Loaded a mag with NSA 31.2gr 218 slugs and the slug would not go all the way in the breech. The mag would not come out because of the slug being still partially in the mag. Had to quit and go home where I finally got the mag out, don't ask how it just magically released finally. I got a cleaning rod from one of my cleaning kits and was able to easily tap the slug out. I just assumed all 22cal slugs would fit in a 22cal barrel.

Was shooting my 22 Cal RTI Prophet II today. First time using this barrel. Loaded a mag with NSA 31.2gr 218 slugs and the slug would not go all the way in the breech. The mag would not come out because of the slug being still partially in the mag. Had to quit and go home where I finally got the mag out, don't ask how it just magically released finally. I got a cleaning rod from one of my cleaning kits and was able to easily tap the slug out. I just assumed all 22cal slugs would fit in a 22cal barrel.
@Jerkey I’m far from an expert here, but I’m thinking the linked video may provide some information for clarity about finding the correct sized slug for your barrel. There are many varieties of slug shapes (I’m talking overall shapes and base shapes) and diameters (that vary by the thousandth of an inch) that can significantly impact the performance of the slug/barrel combination. For example yours may be better suited shooting .217 slugs. Some can fit loosely and others can be slightly too large so that the don’t seat without an unnecessary amount of force. The right slug should chamber with reasonable amount of force/leverage and little resistance. This is my opinion based upon my limited experience with airgun slugs.

Last edited:
Dave, the link to the vid is very helpful. 👍🏼 I'd love to hear from the OP what diameter he found his barrel has, I really do.

Also, I can't help finding this a rather odd occurrence.... 🤔

A slug with a very common diameter gets totally stuck — in a barrel explicitly made for slug shooting....

Anyone else have a comment?

Matthias

218 is on the thick side of slugs especially at 32gr to much bearing surface.. is a common size for Fx liners .. but unusable in CZ .. or LW barrels that are usually 216 .. or in some cases 217 .. but at 218 you simply put a cork in your barrel... is not the barrel by any means..the slug you choose is simply to thick...
Thank you....I hope my 217 Knock Outs will work for me. As it stands right now I have 1500 .218 slugs I can't use......

Last edited:
Reactions: mercado
I just slugged the barrel on my RTI Prophet 2. I used 21gr .218 H&N slug. I checked it with my Brown and Sharpe micrometer first and it was measuring between .2175 and .2185 in 8-10 spots around the circumference. It pushed through the barrel easily with just a little more resistance at the muzzle. After exiting, it measured .2155-.2160 around the circumference again in 8-10 spots.

Did you lube the slugs before trying to insert them?

I just slugged the barrel on my RTI Prophet 2. I used 21gr .218 H&N slug. I checked it with my Brown and Sharpe micrometer first and it was measuring between .2175 and .2185 in 8-10 spots around the circumference. It pushed through the barrel easily with just a little more resistance at the muzzle. After exiting, it measured .2155-.2160 around the circumference again in 8-10 spots.

Did you lube the slugs before trying to insert them?
No I did not lube them.