• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slug weight vs length for accuracy

With most air rifles, this can present a safety issue. I there is air in the gun, I'd remove the barrel before pushing the pellet out from the muzzle to breech.
You are correct and in fact this should always be done every time you change to a different pellet. It is called slugging a barrel. In PBs it is done with a soft lead ball. For the purpose of sizing a barrel. In an airgun ideally you want the least amount of barrel friction with sufficient rifling bite not to strip lead from the pellet. It is the reason most pellet manufacturers make their pellets in different sizes. Just .001" in diameter can make a big difference.

I'm a touchy/feely guy and I like to feel the resistance of the pellet or slug passing through the barrel and I usually do not remove the barrel when I do it. After a while with experience, you will feel the difference between tight and loose. Viewing the depth of the styrations is a pretty good clue.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Matt Drubber has a great, but long video on this. One key point that I haven't seen anybody touch on is too much air, THAT will destabilize slugs. I've been playing with FX/RMR hybrids in both .22/.2173 and .25, still getting the .22's to play well but it's a process, even though they're good enough for 100+ yard Ground Squirrel splats.

Do you aim at the bore diameter +0.01mm as an ideal slug diameter?
Roachcreek has said size your slugs .0005 to.001 larger than your groove diameter. That's why anybody shooting slugs needs to slug their barrel then measure the diameter in at least 2 places to find that dimension. Remember, over the counter slugs are going to vary in diameter. Always size them to get the most consistency which along with weight equals accuracy. Also the longer the slug the more twist rate you'll need to stabilize it.

Roachcreek has said size your slugs .0005 to.001 larger than your groove diameter. That's why anybody shooting slugs needs to slug their barrel then measure the diameter in at least 2 places to find that dimension. Remember, over the counter slugs are going to vary in diameter. Always size them to get the most consistency which along with weight equals accuracy. Also the longer the slug the more twist rate you'll need to stabilize it.
you mean bore diameter? how can you shoot something bigger than groove diameter in an airgun?

Reactions: drpietrzak
Guys, why not doing a very gradual leade so that just a tiny bit of a slug after chambering is in the full rifling but still the rest of it is also kept by the tapered rifling? Like below.

IMG_20231025_170135~2.jpg

IMG_20231025_170135~3.jpg

I don't think there is anything better than that.

Last edited:
I watched a guy onYT mess with a barrel on a BSA 12 , bad performer, several issues one being when chambering the pellet it was not engaging the rifling at all,he made a longer pellet probe to overcome the issue,it also had a crown problem ,when both were corrected the rifle shot very much better.Having shot a lot of cast bullets over many years found the most important thing was bullet fit in the chamber ie throat. Cheers Mal in au.