• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slug Tightness Question

I got a new .45 AEA Element & also got a new package of NSA .457, 240 grain, slugs that won't fit all the way into the gun like they will with my .45 Air Force Texan Carbine. Previously I used .45 Cal, 250 grain slugs from Seneca that will easily go into both guns. Below are pics of both slugs in the AEA. I am able to close the handle down with the an NSA slug inside. Is it safe for me to fire it?

thumbnail_20230323_213746-1.jpg

thumbnail_20230324_082229.jpg

In my rifles in the totally opposite end of the caliber range, while there are no choice in diameter sizes like you have in other calibers or at least the .22 class above.
There of course still might be some diameter fluctuations in a tin none the less.
Anyway i feel chambering larger weight slugs are harder than shorter lighter ones, also if the material are different ( harder ) looking at you H&N, it seem to have a say too, though here i have just tried 16 grain H&N slugs, but feel a bit different from 16 grain Zan slugs.

Mind you if you really have problems ( have to use a lot of force ) seating / chambering the round, i would advice you be careful.

AEA had their first batches of Challenger .457 barrel rifling cut way too big, in the .460+ range. It appears that they probably fixed this by making them closer to the nominal .45 caliber sizes. And from that picture, you got a good barrel that needs to be ""slugged" to determine it's true bore diameter. A .457 round ball pushed through there and measured to get a true size would be ideal. Forcing that slug may result in several things going wrong for you and or the gun. There's a lot of air discharged in a .45 caliber that I would not mess around with if not chambering all the way.