Slug Tests.

I posted this on another forum for few to see. I thought someone here might like a better

description and test results of these type of slugs than previous posts here on AGN. 

!!!!!!! WARNING - DON"T SHOOT BALLISTIC GEL. WITHOUT SAFETY GLASSES !!!!!!

THIS POST IS NOT TO SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT HP SLUGS. WE ALL HAVE OUR FAVORITES.
THE PURPOSE IS TO SHOW THE RESULTS OF TESTING BOTH FRAGMENTING SLUGS & HP SLUGS.
THESE ARE THE SAME RESULTS SEEN IN THE FIELD AND ON VOLUNTEER CADAVERS.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't normally spend this much time posting something. I have other things "I should be doing."
But my hole reloading and shooting life PB or air has always been about HP performance with
accuracy at POI. So after doing all the testing necessary to confirm repeatable performance results
for extreme long-range slugs, it only seemed right to share this information.

This short slow motion video showings the "Energy Transfer" difference between a standard hollow-point slug and a
fragmenting slug on a small 2" thick Ballistics Gel. block. Shooting a 2" block of 20% NATO Ballistic Gel.
is as close to a Pigeon or Squirrel cadaver as reasonably possible without showing you the real thing.
Shooting a large block of test medium that stops a round completely, isn't an accurate test here.

These slugs are designed specifically for Pigeon, Starling or Ground Squirrel pesting applications.
Other calibers/game may benefit from fragmenting slugs also. That I've not tested.

A friend @swish and I have been shooting and experimenting with his fragmenting slug design for the last year or so.
We've experimented with lots of different configurations of hollow-points, base styles and fragment numbers (any from 2-7).
The slugs can be manipulated to reliably produce varying rates that they fully expand or fragment at. The main goal has been
to produce a slug for accurate long-range shooting that will always release maximum energy at POI as velocity's diminish.
Pass-throughs and ricochets are reduced to almost nothing, while delivering twice the energy at POI.
Delivering as much energy as possible at POI is what we're trying to accomplish with a HP slug in the first place.

I know that there are some PB ammunition designed to do the same thing. Not a new invention here.
Just putting good sound proven technology to work in the low velocity air-gun world, that's all.

Velocities listed in this video are 1 foot from the block. I added some lame music so it wouldn't be too boring.

https://youtu.be/_Gq6LmEk0SY

Note - The last fragmenting slug in the video is at the same velocity it would be doing at 135 yards out of my slug
gun. That's over 48 FPE and the fragments just bounce off the printer paper taped to a cardboard box behind it.
That's approximately what would spill out of the back of a pigeon at 135 yards. Instead of a standard hollow-point
that would still have approximately 50% of available FPE left over flying through space... See test results below.

Here's a few positive aspects about the fragmenting slug.

1 – Safety. 5 to 7 small pieces of lead weighing approximately 5 to 8 grains each with
almost no velocity left, don't represent very much of a ricochet hazard.

2 – Effective range. .22 cal. 28 grain as low as 600 FPS at POI. – slug design dependent.
(Complete fragmentation) .25 cal. 38 grain as low as 600 FPS at POI. – slug design dependent.
.25 cal. 36.5 grain as low as 640 FPS at POI. – slug design dependent. Still testing.
.25 cal. 31 grain as low as 680 FPS at POI. – slug design dependent. Still testing.

3 – Accuracy. It's the exact same slug as our day-to-day paper/plinking slugs.
Can do MOA or better at 200 yards with a capable slug gun.

4 – Cost/availability. Currently this is a do-it-yourself thing. But rest assured the slug
makers will be making these for mainstream use before too long.

I don't generally promote certain products or manufacturers very often.
But that's kind of needed here. Corban swagging press and dies to start. I've made the additional
punches and pins for hollow-points to get the different results, for the different fragmenting slugs.

Obviously slug weights can be varied. These weights are just what we're using in our slug guns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These tests confirm what the video shows. Fragmenting slugs in 22 or 25 cal. will deliver the available energy
at POI better than a standard hollow-point on these small pests.
Regardless of the test medium the results are always the same.

Included here are a few photos and velocities of pass-through slugs that might surprise you.

1581435271_15402871995e42c987730620.99283255_1GTA_gel2.jpg

The Chronograph was placed behind the 2" thick Ballistics Gel. block to see how much
velocity/energy is lost with different types of slugs. Below are those results.

2 Shots ea. showing how much velocity (= energy) remains after pass-through.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1- .22 cal. 28gr. HP 910 FPS @ POI - 548 FPS after passing-through 2" thick gel. block. 
2- - Same - - 557 FPS

3- .22 cal. 28gr. HP 875 FPS @ POI - 547 FPS after passing-through 2" thick gel. block. 
4- - Same - - 553 FPS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5- .22 cal. 28gr. Frag. 910 FPS @ POI - 000 FPS No pass-through 2" thick gel. block.
6- - Same - - 000 FPS

7- .22 cal. 28gr. Frag. 875 FPS @ POI - 000 FPS No pass-through 2" thick gel. block.
8- - Same - - 000 FPS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- .25 cal. 38.1gr. HP 595 FPS @ POI - 462 FPS after passing-through 2" thick gel. block.
2- - Same - - 457 FPS

3- .25 cal. 38.1gr. Frag. 595 FPS @ POI - 000 FPS No pass-through 2" thick gel. block.
4- - Same - - 000 FPS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3- .25 cal. 38.1gr. HP 752 FPS @ POI - 512 FPS after passing-through 2" thick gel. block.
4- - Same - - 516 FPS

5- .25 cal. 38.1gr. Frag. 752 FPS @ POI - 000 FPS No pass-through 2" thick gel. block.
6- - 38.1gr. Different design Frag. - 099 FPS One small piece passed-through.
7- .25 cal. 38.1gr. HP 900 FPS @ POI - 565 FPS after passing-through 2" thick gel. block.
8- - Skipped. Not needed. Too much redundancy.

9- .25 cal. 38.1gr. Frag. 900 FPS @ POI - 000 FPS No pass-through 2" thick gel. block.
10- - Same - - 000 FPS

1581435402_12755964535e42ca0a121537.29623227_1GTA_Gel.jpg

1581435421_4517845115e42ca1da18825.62575526_1GTA_gel3.jpg

Of coarse I'd recommend a "Standard HP Slug" for a larger animal were more penetration
is required, like a Coyote for example. Common sense dictates matching power/cal. and game size. 
But many of us are shooting small "pests", with more pass-through velocity/energy than I'll bet
we were aware of. That's one area were the fragmenting slugs really do excel.

I personally had serious ricochets after pass-throughs or missed shots on Ground Squirrels
at all yardages. Knocking a hole through a Squirrel at 150 yards and hearing a round ricochet
another 100 and hit a tree with a load whack was the norm. That's just not the case anymore.

I'm just showing 100% repeatable test results that are hard to dismiss. These aren't some
huge hole HP with a poor BC that won't shoot stable at 200+ yards. Their a 2-S ogive slug for
descent BC that anyone could be making at home for about 1/2 the cost of a pellet. 

*** Hopefully there's some useful information in here for someone that might be interested.***