Slug price vs production cost and quality

If you don't want to read the entire long post, just jump to the Summary section at the end of post

Practically since the beginning of the launch of our CNC turned ATP slugs on the market, we regularly receive questions about the selling price, especially when compared to other slugs produced by a different technology
I'd like to put some information out there on this topic and bring more information rather than answering the same thing over and over again.

Even here on the forum, there is a topic where the higher price of our slugs is discussed, and as the main reason most authors state that it is a unique product that has no competition on the market and that is why the price is higher.

The only part that is true is that it really is a unique product, because apart from us, no one in the world has been producing airgun lead slugs with this technology for more than 5 years. But the reason for the higher price is something else, which I will describe later in the text.

First of all, I would like to introduce the common procedure of pressed slugs or pressed pellets:

The procedure is that a lead wire of a given diameter is made and it is then introduced into a machine, which turns it into ball (pellets) or cylinders of a given length (slugs).
These blanks are then sprinkled into a pressing machine, which turns them into the final projectile.
In most cases, we can talk about the production time of one projectile in the range of 0.5 - 1,2s, i.e. you will make 120-50 pcs per minute , 7200-3000 pcs per hour.

These projectiles are then very often poured directly from the machine containers into a specific package and sent to the customer. Some samples can be taken continuously for control. For example, at JSB, an optical inspection by a worker is included between the production and packaging process, but it is not a standard procedure for all manufacturers.
Often manufacturers also use a harder mixture of lead, which survives simple packaging (pouring into a bag) and even harder transport without damage, but they have disadvantages in difficult insertion into the barrel or the possibility of stuck directly in the barrel at lower outputs (even 45J may not be sufficient output for shot from the barrel).

Now I will describe a very rough process of manufacturing CNC turned slugs (there is no point in trying to ask us about the details, we will never publish them)

The process begins similarly by creating a lead wire of a given diameter. This is where the similarity ends, as this wire is then manually processed by a worker and then transferred to a special single-purpose turning machine that we developed and built ourselves.
The main problem is the softness of lead, which can be damaged by practically anything, for example even with inappropriate manual measurement. I will not mention the next series of problems, but I will go to the most important.
The machining process itself from start to finish, when we get a finished 1 CNC turning ATP slug takes from 15 to 25s according to the type of slug !!!
This means that this process is 15-50 times slower than in the production of pressed slug!!!

An example of the production of CNC monolithic firearms bullets by the most famous manufacturer

The machining time alone (which is far from the end of the whole process) corresponds to the fact that one machine is able toproduce around 4 pcs of ATP 32gr .22 per minute, 240 pcs per hour!

So if you are shooting targeted precision, where it is not a problem to get to a speed of 4 shots per minute, then the same time you spend shooting, the same time the given machine must be in operation and producing slugs!

After the machining itself, each slug is optically inspected by a employee and each slug is measured to see if it meets the required dimensions, and if not, it is discarded. The required dimension must fit within a tolerance in the order of microns (ten thousandths of an inch). Of course, we can never guarantee 100% certainty of the final inspection, but we do our best to do so.

This is followed by the manual insertion of each individual slug into the manufactured foam matrix, which is then manually vacuumed to strengthen the package and limit contact with the atmosphere. If you think that just putting slugs into a foam matrix is a simple and quick matter, you can try it yourself on your ATP slug packaging to see how long it takes. Yes, in theory, it would be possible to invent automatic loading, but you are not sure whether there would be mechanical damage to the slugs
All these steps are necessary to preserve the properties of the slug as it leaves the turning machine, so that they are not damaged during transport or packaging and their properties are not degraded of mechanical damage.
Originally, we wanted to do packaging like other manufacturers do, but we quickly found out that this is not a suitable way to deliver a perfect slug even for the most demanding customers, because it doesn't matter how exactly you make the slugs, if it doesn't reach the customer in this perfect condition.

Summary

Pressed slugs:
- speed of production: 0.5 - 1,2s, i.e. you will make 120-50 pcs per minute , 7200-3000 pcs per hour.
- production control: often checking only random samples, not each individual slug
- packaging: often pouring into the bag directly from the machine's magazine -some manufacturers separated slug in package from itself
- hardness of lead: some manufacturers use hard lead to make it easier to pack the slugs and still not risk much damage during transport

Altaros ATP CNC turned slugs:
- speed of production: 15 to 25s according to the type of slug, 4 pcs of ATP 32gr per minute, 240 pcs per hour !
- production control: optical checked and measured each slug
- packaging: manual insertion of each individual slug into the manufactured foam matrix, which is then manually vacuumed
- hardness of lead: uses almost pure lead for maximum slug softness

We can make a comparison of the most requested oure slugs ATP King 40gr, where the price is 0.15 - 0.18 $ per piece
Again:
similarly heavy FX Hybrid Slugs 44gr, where the price is 0.17 $ per piece. Utah, USA
similarly heavy Patrito slugs 40gr, where the price is 0.13 $ per piece. Krale EU
similarly heavy Zan slugs 40gr, where the price is 0.09 $ per piece. Krale EU

so it can be seen that in some cases ATP King is not even the most expensive slug on the market and when we compare the price of 0.15 $ vs 0.09 $, it is a difference only of 40%.

I then decide for each of you whether we demand a higher price for our unike products that we make 15-50x slower production speed, or on the contrary, some other manufacturers who, unlike us, all use similar production technology are not only using their strong marketing position on the market to sell you a similar slugs at a much higher price, which someone else is able to produce 2-5 cheaper in almost the same quality.

In the firearms ammunition market, it is common for the highest ranges of ammunition intended for the most accurate shooting, where every several % of total bether accuracy is paid dearly, to cost up to 5 times more than the basic range. An example is the top .22 LR ammunition from LAPU or RWS again standard .22 LR.

If we were to compare the price of our production with a similar production, then the closest comparison is this cutting edge 40gr .223 bullets where the price is 0.7 $ per piece, i.e. almost 5 times higher, and at the same time, compared to ours, it is a classic standard machining, of normally machinable materials, for which you can directly buy a CNC machine, you do not have to develop and build it.

Cutting Edge 40gr .223 bullets

I have already been asked by a few people from my surroundings, who are active in the world of CNC machining or have a machining company themselves, whether we are even able to make a profit with such a poor production speed/price ratio. Yes, we are, and it costs us a lot of effort, but it is definitely not the kind of profit you might have imagined before reading this post.

Last edited:
Engaged in CNC machining, this industry is currently facing great difficulties, including labor costs, factory rental, machine maintenance costs, and the worry that the operator will input program errors, causing damage to the CNC spindle....
The speed at which you create slugs is not proportional to the benefits you gain
I sincerely wish you better and better

These Altaros slugs are almost like precious metal to me so I don't shoot them often except for a little practice but for competition they are almost a must have. A little pricey but nevertheless a great product.

Just sayin that when I open a tin a pellets and see what poor shape they are in and then compare and inspect the Altaros slugs I can tell there's a huge difference in quality control.

These Altaros slugs are almost like precious metal to me so I don't shoot them often except for a little practice but for competition they are almost a must have. A little pricey but nevertheless a great product.

Just sayin that when I open a tin a pellets and see what poor shape they are in and then compare and inspect the Altaros slugs I can tell there's a huge difference in quality control.

When I've tested with the Altaros slugs I feel like every shot is akin to the dramatized launching of a nuclear missile where guys are turning two different keys in unison after putting in their special codes. And only after all the "go for launch" authorizations have occurred.

For that price, EVERY. SINGLE. SHOT. feels like all the hopes and dreams of me and my ancestors are clinging to that slug as it passes through the barrel and out the gun. A silent prayer of "fly well my sweet!" is uttered in a hushed and reverent tone as it leaves the muzzle.

Kidding, mostly, but the price per shot of the Altaros does indeed cut into volume shooting, which is one of the big pros of airguns for me.

I admittedly didn't read the whole post, but it seems like you are trying to justify the cost of your slugs. That seems unnecessary. For those that are willing to pay the cost...they are obviously worth it to them. Unless you aren't selling enough of them to make it worth your while...who cares what the other people think. Just my opinion.

Mike

Heck of a lot cheaper than PBs when every time you pull the trigger it's a dollar or more.
That's what I was thinking. Big part of why I sold all but my most economical cartridges for each set of abilities that each covers; now only have 22 LR, 223 Rem, and 308 Win: Roughly cost $0.08, $0.50, $0.80 - $1.00 for the most economical choices of ammo for each respectively.

@Altaros

For those of us wanting to try these but are on the fence due to the price (not to be confused with their VALUE which is more than well demonstrated), where should we be doing our shopping around for these in order to get the best price on them?

Any chance there is any kind of coupon to help entice the first time buyer into testing out their first tin? Probably not, but thought worth asking, and may be worth your consideration to help full more people into giving them a shot and potentially being able to see for themselves what value they really are through there own guns performance demonstrated with them.

I admittedly didn't read the whole post, but it seems like you are trying to justify the cost of your slugs. That seems unnecessary. For those that are willing to pay the cost...they are obviously worth it to them. Unless you aren't selling enough of them to make it worth your while...who cares what the other people think. Just my opinion.

Mike
thank you for your opinion.
no I don't need to justify the price, certainly not in time when we have waiting lists for delivery with a waiting time for distributors or larger orders of 1-2 months, because production is not keeping up with demand.

My goal with this post is to let people know for what they are actually paying this extra cost. That it is certainly not due to advertising, branding or a dominant exclusive position, but that it is largely the price of the production itself.

For me personally, it is important that our customers, even those who decide not to buy the product, also know the background of the given product and not just information on whether product are currently selling well or not.

I believe that smaller manufacturers like you or us, regardless of the type of product, should have better contact with customers than the big ones who push it mostly with advertisements that often border on false advertising.

@Altaros

For those of us wanting to try these but are on the fence due to the price (not to be confused with their VALUE which is more than well demonstrated), where should we be doing our shopping around for these in order to get the best price on them?

Any chance there is any kind of coupon to help entice the first time buyer into testing out their first tin? Probably not, but thought worth asking, and may be worth your consideration to help full more people into giving them a shot and potentially being able to see for themselves what value they really are through there own guns performance demonstrated with them.

The truth is that for the size of a company like ours, when shipments are sent by my colleague who is also in charge of final assembling and testing the pressure regulator, the first order of a new customer interested in slugs is, from our point of view, with a discount, since it is very often an order of one or two packages of slugs, when the time/wage costs for the complete processing of the order are in proportion to the turnover from this order, significantly larger than when order 5-10-20 packages in one order.
The processing time is the same, but in the first case the customer only pays the shipping cost and these another costs go to our company.
For us, it's an investment in a new customer that may or may not pay off, but it's our way of promoting slug testing rather than making these small orders more expensive.

I understand that the average customer is not very aware of these matters, especially not when they are used to, for example, buying from multinational companies such as Amazon, where the processing of the shipment is extremely automated and the difference between ordering an item for 10 USD or 200 USD is practically minimal and already included in shipping cost.

Last edited: