I am new to the airgun world and I’m trying to figure everything out as I go with help from the internet.

I am shooting with a FX impact M3 700mm .22 with a FX heavy liner and JSB knockout .216 25gr slugs. I think I’m done tuning this set up for now but I’m running into issue with a few random flyers. I’m shooting at 35 yards ( I haven’t shot them past 35 yet either) and it’s shooting lights out then a flyer almost a inch away then the following shot is a bullseye. I’ve attached a target showing what I’m talking about.

Is this “normal” with slugs or could it be the barrel doesn’t like them as much as I think? I don’t do any sorting or inspecting of the slugs, straight from the tin to shooting, should I be doing something in between?

I do have a large selection of other slugs on their way to test but right now I’m just using the knockouts.

15287B84-C619-4ED4-B460-1C9EEF34D56B.jpeg

My 500mm M2 heavy liner is lights out 50 yrds .217 knockouts.
My problem now is I'm feeling sorry bad for the rabbits. They seem to look at me. I think I'm getting soft.

Andrew.​

Andrew‼️

What has gotten into you?
The PETA-22 virus?!? 🙄

This is sounding pretty serious. 🤔
You fixed up your M2 really nice. Now, it seems, your head/heart might need to get fixed up. May I suggest some therapy?

Your misplaced softy feelings for pest animals are hurting humanity and the ones you love most. 😟

Get a grip on yourself, get a grip on your rifle, and squeeze that trigger ever so gently to knock out another one of those harvest-robbing, golf course-destroying rabbits with a .217.

You can do it. Trust in yourself. And the FX engineers. And the ballistic coefficient of KO slugs. Kill'em all.

Matthias

Please don’t think I’m busting your balls but that’s not lights out at 35 yards. If you overlap your targets and look at group size, that slug or tune is a no go. I start my slug tunes at 30 yards. If they don’t all go through basically the same hole, I don’t even shoot them farther. If you know how to do a proper slug tune and have tried all steps at each reg setting, take mercados advice and try a different diameter. Then go through the process of working your way through all the reg, hammer and valve settings until you strike gold or rule that slug out also. Then buy more and so on and so on…………

Please don’t think I’m busting your balls but that’s not lights out at 35 yards. If you overlap your targets and look at group size, that slug or tune is a no go. I start my slug tunes at 30 yards. If they don’t all go through basically the same hole, I don’t even shoot them farther. If you know how to do a proper slug tune and have tried all steps at each reg setting, take mercados advice and try a different diameter. Then go through the process of working your way through all the reg, hammer and valve settings until you strike gold or rule that slug out also. Then buy more and so on and so on…………
No offense taken at all. That’s kinda what I was expecting to see at 35 yards. Coming from center fire and rim fire guns I am expecting the ammo or in this case slugs to be perfectly repeatable in 1 hole groups at 35 yards but I was told airguns/slugs aren’t always as perfect.

When tuning through all the reg, hammer and valve settings is there a sweet spot or base line slugs like? Is there a method and step 1,2,3…. That you have found works best? I am still very new to this world and I’m still a little hesitant of what not to do when tuning for fear of breaking something. Is there a limit to how much the regs should be set to while testing?

Here is what my tune is now:
1st reg - 140
2nd reg - 112
Macro wheel - 16
Micro - 4.5
Fps - 943

I have a pretty good grasp on the slug thing and it’s nothing to burn through 500+ trying to determine if I should give up on a slug or find a tune I once had. This is not powder burner land. If you’re gonna be a slugman with an airgun, put all your powder burner thoughts, techniques and expectations up on a shelf. It’s time to start over with a clean slate and an empty database. The only advice I will give you is don’t believe everything you see or read. Write your own book of known truths.

I know the diameter is important but don't over look the weight.
I'm shooting 29gr slugs which I purchased from a very good manufacturer. When I started weighing the slugs, with a parameter of +/- .1 gr., found there were heavier and lighter slugs.
Testing the sorted slugs, I found that my STD had dropped to 2.0 with 10 shot , shot strings.
Here are the results. Helped with the occasional fliers.
IMG_20221106_111150_516.jpg

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
.216 sounds small. If you're not slugging your bore (choke) to measure he smallest diameter in your bore, then you I would see if you get higher velocity from a .217 of that same weight. If so, then .216 isn't fully obturating in the bore and thus is not the correct size.
I'm shooting .217 slugs .25 caliber out of a 600mm barrel Crown mk2, lubed lightly with Balistol.