• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Slug fit loose? (hammer mag)

Lobi

Feb 11, 2023
Michigan
My Hammer came with a sample pack of 350gr Umarex slugs. They pushed in pretty tight in the magazine.
Bought a box of 345gr hp slugs and tried em for the first time today. They are loose in the magazine. They caliper right at .510 as do the bores in the mag. They can fall right thru the mag. I made a couple nicks in the back edge with my fingernail that made em stay in the mag while I loaded the gun. I'm sure they are tight to the bore as soon as the blast of air hits em.
Any thoughts on loose slugs?

Accuracy suffers, speeds vary but don't think anything else dramatic occurs... Did you shoot those bullets?
I only shot one of these loose slugs. I put 5 of the 6 sample (tight fitting) ones thru the gun previously. I'm only doing one shot at a time with days in between to not bother the neighbors.
When it gets nice out I'll go to the range and run a handful of these (loose fitting) ones for testing. I'll bring my chronograph.
My worry is that if they can slip right thru the magazine then are they also sliding down the barrel of I tip the gun down? Seems like I'll end up with a squibb if I shot it and the slug was not near the breech.

Please stop calling them bullets. Lol
Ouchh 🥲
So what do you think they are? Before when there was any kind of pressed or swaged slugs on market there were airguns which shot what? Example those older Sam Yang's....Leadballs? Projectiles? Old black powder rifles shoot what? Minnie what? When you buy a mold you cast what? Bullets. So even now when those pressed slugs are "in" there is still airguns which shoots bullets, Lead bullets Casted lead bullets.
Just my 0,2€

In the machine shop world we had a saying. Size for size is a press fit. Meaning if your slug is .510 and your barrel is .510 it’s a press fit, not a heavy press but it is NOT going to slide anywhere on its own, you will need to push it. Only way it can fall one way or the other on its own is to have clearance (air) all the way around it.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore