Slug Effective Range ?

Just consult Strelok pro and you shall find what you seek. Here is my Impact “effective” range shooting 38 grain NSA at 960fps, guess my effective range is….800 yards??
D721BEF6-FBC5-4FD5-8900-2A035E7BD7AA.png

Be careful with these things there, I would not want to be there on the receiving end of my 38 grain slug even at lowly 400fps. I avoid shots with no backstop at all cost especially the upward ones.

Edit: my table is in meters so 14.8 FPE at 770 yards!

Last edited:
Impact mkII heavily modified shooting fx hybrid 44's @ 1011 and I take woodchuck shots out to 250yds all day with instant kills body and head but they DO NOT EXPAND 😕
Used to be tuned to Griffen 41gr superlight amazing little slug he puts plastic balls in his Slugs for crazy expansion

Owing a nuisance wildlife removal business quick and I mean ALMOST INSTANT 1 shot kills is only what acceptable and it's mostly knowledge of animals biology and practice / high end gear and I will shoot Beaver / coyote / fox regularly for a living. The amount of dead chucks per year is well over 200

Seeing a shift in the available and desirability of these Higher BC projectile has me wondering what is the max range hollowpoint slugs can open and take certain critters humanely.

Has anyone done any long range test of .22 and .25 caliber slugs to see what range they may be effective on things such as squirrels, groundhogs. and other like sized critters that we hunt?

I know it will be determined by some FT-lbs of energy required to both open the slug and penetrate deep enough into the target.

I would love to here your thoughts on the subject. However, I find myself using a more solid slug like the NSA 34gr dimple nose for long range pesting.

I have a fx Maverick sniper 25 cal shooting a 38.5 nsa slug at 940 to get 75 fpe I went coyote hunting 2 nights ago and I took a shot on a coyote at 100 yds right in the vitals it ran maybe 5 to 10 yds and died very quickly so I don't even think of the effectiveness and I wouldn't hesitate to take a much longer shot just my 2 cents

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Impact mkII heavily modified shooting fx hybrid 44's @ 1011 and I take woodchuck shots out to 250yds all day with instant kills body and head but they DO NOT EXPAND 😕
Used to be tuned to Griffen 41gr superlight amazing little slug he puts plastic balls in his Slugs for crazy expansion

Owing a nuisance wildlife removal business quick and I mean ALMOST INSTANT 1 shot kills is only what acceptable and it's mostly knowledge of animals biology and practice / high end gear and I will shoot Beaver / coyote / fox regularly for a living. The amount of dead chucks per year is well over 200
I'd love to have that opportunity by me.

Any one shot into ballistic gel or any thing at 100-200 yards, (recovered pellets slugs from kills )just curious. I’ve thought about it but haven’t, as I don’t shoot any animal, bird nearly that far. Paper don’t care. I don’t always believe the mathematical figures, difference in hardness of lead ( projectile)being one reason. I know I’ve been told by several on here “ you don’t have to shoot that far, you can figure it out mathematically, I don’t believe so.

Any one shot into ballistic gel or any thing at 100-200 yards, (recovered pellets slugs from kills )just curious. I’ve thought about it but haven’t, as I don’t shoot any animal, bird nearly that far. Paper don’t care. I don’t always believe the mathematical figures, difference in hardness of lead ( projectile)being one reason. I know I’ve been told by several on here “ you don’t have to shoot that far, you can figure it out mathematically, I don’t believe so.
Well, it's kinda easy if you have a tunable airgun.

For instance. My FX Maverick VP is shooting Hybrid Slugs at 930fps. At 100 yards, Strelok Pro (and about any Ballistics Calculator around) says they are going at 803fps; and a 200 yards they are going 706fps. So you just shoot from a yard away with your airgun tuned to that velocity and shoot the gel.

I'm an engineer, and I often don't understand the physics, I just believe it!!! 😃

Well, it's kinda easy if you have a tunable airgun.

For instance. My FX Maverick VP is shooting Hybrid Slugs at 930fps. At 100 yards, Strelok Pro (and about any Ballistics Calculator around) says they are going at 803fps; and a 200 yards they are going 706fps. So you just shoot from a yard away with your airgun tuned to that velocity and shoot the gel.

I'm an engineer, and I often don't understand the physics, I just believe it!!! 😃
This is exactly the "engineering" testing that I do as well. I shoot the projectile into Clear Ballistics gel with the air/power slowed down to achieve the same fps speeds that the Strelok Pro app shows they will be traveling at my intended target's longest range. The results gives realistic penetration and hollow point expansion data. I also look at the YouTube videos made by the airgun hunting and pest control folks to see how the particular projectile they use works on specific pest animals and birds.

This is exactly the "engineering" testing that I do as well. I shoot the projectile into Clear Ballistics gel with the air/power slowed down to achieve the same fps speeds that the Strelok Pro app shows they will be traveling at my intended target's longest range. The results gives realistic penetration and hollow point expansion data. I also look at the YouTube videos made by the airgun hunting and pest control folks to see how the particular projectile they use works on specific pest animals and birds.
Then buddy, you're spot on!

I haven't done this testing as of yet. As I have just extrapolated from 15 yard Clear Ballistic gel testing at full power. I need to melt down my Clear Ballistics block and do some .30cal testing. But those who haven't shelled out the cash for some Clear Ballistics gel 10% have no idea just how freaking tough that stuff is! When I shot my Bulldog .357 with 110gr and 142gr slugs at 15 yards, it zipped clear though!

That told me, there is no need to test further! I know there is no way on earth a yote would survive a 150 yard shot with either round! I'm also confident my much lower powered Maverick VP .30cal will put a yote down at 100 yards with a bodyshot too.

Long_Shot and I have been doing many tests on long and short range performance.

We both have Corbin swaging set ups. Mine is .22 and his is .25.

I can tell you that my 24 grain stop performing well at about 175 yards leaving the barrel at around 920 fps with a good performing HP. Yes I can still hit things at that range and longer but the impact and HP performance really get anemic.

Now take Long_Shots .25 38 grain. Cans of water exploded and sound like a gun shot at the same yardages.

We also capture the slugs to inspect for proper opening.

The reason is because we've been trying to perfect the ultimate long range slug design and we're getting very close.View attachment 62324

These are 28 grain .22.
Great

Swish didn't mention he had perfected that split slug concept for .22 long rifle rounds about 6-7 years ago.

Effective Range..... ? Loaded question. So many variables, but more power equals much more effective range.

I have a 52 FPE .25 cal. gun that is only good for about 100 yards, expansion performance wise. Accuracy is not to good if there is any wind past 100 yards.

I have a 75 FPE .25 cal. gun that is a destroyer out to 200+ yards, expansion performance and "consistent accuracy" at longer range.

I have zero desire to shoot anything inside 100 yards, with a Scoped Precision PCP when shooting a Starling off a fence at 173 yards is a give me shot.

I've shot 15 Ground Squirrels at 265 - 280 yards in the last couple months. 7 were DRT. I've seen worse results from "Pellet Guns" at 40 - 60 yards than that.

I know that a pre-fragmented slug will ad range to any airgun. High or low powered.
Some times killing something in less than a 100y feels like cheating.. 👍