Slug Effective Range ?

Seeing a shift in the available and desirability of these Higher BC projectile has me wondering what is the max range hollowpoint slugs can open and take certain critters humanely.

Has anyone done any long range test of .22 and .25 caliber slugs to see what range they may be effective on things such as squirrels, groundhogs. and other like sized critters that we hunt? 

I know it will be determined by some FT-lbs of energy required to both open the slug and penetrate deep enough into the target.

I would love to here your thoughts on the subject. However, I find myself using a more solid slug like the NSA 34gr dimple nose for long range pesting.

This has been addressed some in the past. There are many variables and even more OPINIONS.

Many have no concern about the “ humanely “issues and many do. 

I can tell you that at 60 to 70 yards I have a fair number ( more then I like) less then clean kills on pigeons. And I’m hitting them hard using a 30 cal RAW and a 25 cal impact. I may not be the greatest shot but I’m shooting off of a bench and doing my best. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube and online videos of pigeons being dropped like stones at REALLY long yards. This has not been my experience 

Groundhogs. I’ve killed several in my back yard with head shots out to about 40 yards. Using the same equipment.

I do a fair about of longer range groundhog hunting and I try to hit them hard with a 223. I’ve used a 17 HMR and I think inside 100 its a good choice . Frankly I’m not using my air rifles on groundhogs unless I have no other options 

I myself limit my shots,distance wise.30 fpe at p.o.I. where I can put all shots 3/4" on target.mostly(brain shot)headshots.what ever that distance maybe ,that's my MAXIMUM shooting distance with that airgun..that's for my .25 cal airguns and larger cal airguns..have taken a coyote at 55 yards (brain shot) dropped right there,drt. 30 fpe at p.o.I....that is the MAXIMUM distance i will ever try,closer distance have taken more..think acherey distance.i have used both NSA slugs and JSB'S 33.95 MK2 pellets..use a range finder and ballistic calculation after shooting through a chronograph to find how fast your shots are...alot of range time....practice practice practice. Shot placement is key for me .just as if I were shooting arrows,shot placement is vital..practice to hit small and you will miss small....I'm still playing with different slugs from NSA.just got the new 29 gr slugs .25 cal gonna run them through all my .25 cal airguns...at 30 yards or less the JSB'S are doing just fine for me...Michael,out

Long_Shot and I have been doing many tests on long and short range performance. 

We both have Corbin swaging set ups. Mine is .22 and his is .25.

I can tell you that my 24 grain stop performing well at about 175 yards leaving the barrel at around 920 fps with a good performing HP. Yes I can still hit things at that range and longer but the impact and HP performance really get anemic. 

Now take Long_Shots .25 38 grain. Cans of water exploded and sound like a gun shot at the same yardages. 

We also capture the slugs to inspect for proper opening. 

The reason is because we've been trying to perfect the ultimate long range slug design and we're getting very close.
1570481089_8081813975d9ba3c18e0611.43011092_20191002_202924.jpg

These are 28 grain .22.

Swish those look great!

They would be a little heavy for how I am set up in each caliber.

I found that hitting a 4lb bock of duct seal at 100 yards gave full expansion on the 33.5gr NSA's, but penetration seemed pretty shallow. I know duct seal is much more dense than a critter, but got me thinking about it. 

I have mostly shot JSB pellets, and haven't got into slugs till more recently. 

Swish didn't mention he had perfected that split slug concept for .22 long rifle rounds about 6-7 years ago. 

Effective Range..... ? Loaded question. So many variables, but more power equals much more effective range. 

I have a 52 FPE .25 cal. gun that is only good for about 100 yards, expansion performance wise. Accuracy is not to good if there is any wind past 100 yards. 

I have a 75 FPE .25 cal. gun that is a destroyer out to 200+ yards, expansion performance and "consistent accuracy" at longer range. 

I have zero desire to shoot anything inside 100 yards, with a Scoped Precision PCP when shooting a Starling off a fence at 173 yards is a give me shot.

I've shot 15 Ground Squirrels at 265 - 280 yards in the last couple months. 7 were DRT. I've seen worse results from "Pellet Guns" at 40 - 60 yards than that. 

I know that a pre-fragmented slug will ad range to any airgun. High or low powered. 

Hi I do alot of hunting and I disagree with distance that a slug can kill , here is why

Most all small bore slugs I use in .22 and .25 caliber can kill as far as your ability to hit target , I make my own slugs and say my MP .22 gr I have killed coyotes 1 shot and done , last 2 didnt take 1 step the one before ran 60 yards but it was a reaction as slug passed threw both lngs and was in fur of exit . and .25 caliber slugs I shoot are from 46 to 58 gr , they hit just as hard .

Now my answer for small game hunting

my slug gun setups are

.22 69fpe slugs 34 to 38 gr

.25 80fpe 39 to 55 gr

30 94fpe 48 and 52 gr favorite have up to 63 gr

.257 180fpe 73 gr 85 gr 118 gr 127 gr

SO I use heavier slugs , I do not shoot them light hollow slugs many shoot here with . I have done alot of testing on them and I like the heavy accurate hard hitting slugs that can penetrate ,, I dont want fragmenting or dumping all energy on impact , some here do .

I shoot past 200 all the time like Long shot , and I am comfortable doing it , heck last week I shot 12 chip monks in head at 118 yards with slugs , I have shot my whole life I shoot pretty much every day of my life and I own some of the best optics available anywhere .

The problem I have with slugs is Mine will make a small hole in and ut of a small animal , like I said mine are designed to kill larger game like coyotes or zombies .

I shot 3 squirrels last week 2 in head one in body with my mp slug at 910fps and it just bored a clean hole , the slug hits so hard they probably die from the impact before the slug exits , all ones I shot were like 75 yards away and like 100 meters in trees using 22 cal 36 gr slugs ,

I shot 1 squirrel a day earlier 50 yards in head with a hadies pellet , to be honest the hadies did more damage on the small squirrel

so with my slugs you wont get much damage to meat but you must be very aware of what is behind target . In many situations pellets must be used for me as slugs could be dangerous , they fly much further . LOU

This late in the summer and shooting at heavily hunted prairie dog towns,Jbravo103 and I found
there weren't many shots under 100 yards.
115 to 130 yards was a pretty typical shot.
Even at that range 1 or 2 shots and they were gone.
NSA 36.2gr have been my ammo of choice.
Jbravo103 was shooting NSA 33.5gr @985fps

20220820_132008.jpg