Slug cost vs pellets

Hello,

I'm sure there is a good reason but I was just curious if anyone knew why 100 count 26 grain FX hybrid slugs (made by JSB I'm guessing?) would be 16 cents per round and and 350 count 25 Grain JSB domed pellets would only be 5 cents per round, less than a third of the cost for roughly the same amount of lead.

Would love to shoot slugs but have a hard time sending $2.56 down range with each magazine.

Any insights appreciated, thank you.

I doubt that FX Hybrids are made by JSB. You can buy 4 tins ($13.99 x 3, + 1 free) of JSB 25.4 grain slugs from Pyramyd air. About 5 cents per round and sometimes they even have discounts.

Hmmmm that's good to know. Looks like I have some more research to do on the JSB slugs. Any opinions on how accurate they can be out of an FX Superior liner? Also, are there any opinions on which size would be the best in 25 cal? I see they have .215, .216 and .251.

I suppose I was somehow under the impression that the FX Hybrid slugs were the only ones worth trying when it came to accuracy results. Thanks again for the heads up about the JSB slugs, it is appreciated!

I doubt that FX Hybrids are made by JSB. You can buy 4 tins ($13.99 x 3, + 1 free) of JSB 25.4 grain slugs from Pyramyd air. About 5 cents per round and sometimes they even have discounts.

Hmmmm that's good to know. Looks like I have some more research to do on the JSB slugs. Any opinions on how accurate they can be out of an FX Superior liner? Also, are there any opinions on which size would be the best in 25 cal? I see they have .215, .216 and .251.

I suppose I was somehow under the impression that the FX Hybrid slugs were the only ones worth trying when it came to accuracy results. Thanks again for the heads up about the JSB slugs, it is appreciated!

Something tells me that ONLY the .251 will be any good in a .25 caliber.

FX hybrids are made by Rat Sniper USA. . They are pretty good slugs but sooooo expensive.

same or better quality ( most depends on the barrel liking one or the other) and much cheaper ( 5-6 cents per round) are:

JSB Knock outs

NSA 

H&N

There are more good brands / slugmakers ( like Griffin, AVS , Javelin , varmint Knockers , Hawler ( = NSA) but these 3 are the main players cuurently delivering good stuff at a much lower costs than we were used to a year or so ago and in many sizes and weights.

availability is not perfect everywhere and testing a specific slug in your barrel is very much recommended before buying bulk of a slug you thnk will be good. It is about hundreds of millimeters and a few meeter more or less in speed can make a big difference in precision. Trial and error but with high potential awards ! 

That would be my guess too.

That would be my guess too.

That would make sense since they are the ones that are sold out everywhere 😄

NSA are the best for my .22 compact. I only tried the .217 they shoot better than the fx, at least until I can find a speed they like in the compact. NSA have pretty good pricing too. As for .25 I would try a couple boxes of the sample packs if nobody has a preference that they will tell you what they shoot.

Sampler pack sounds great. I checked a few places though, can't seem to locate them, any idea who sells them?

The NSA sample packs you can buy for any slug 17 cal to 300 cal. You go to the slug you want and use the drop down menu to select "sample pack" and you can a sample pack for each individual slug. The boxes of sample packs of a prepacked, pre-selected weights are only for dealers. Buying direct from NSA you buy the ones you like, you can buy just one or a bunch of different ones in different weights and/or diameters.

Reactions: Cliff_Allen
The NSA sample packs you can buy for any slug 17 cal to 300 cal. You go to the slug you want and use the drop down menu to select "sample pack" and you can a sample pack for each individual slug. The boxes of sample packs of a prepacked, pre-selected weights are only for dealers. Buying direct from NSA you buy the ones you like, you can buy just one or a bunch of different ones in different weights and/or diameters.

Awesome, I'll head back over to the site and check it out. thank you so much for the help, it is appreciated!

To answer the original post it's simply down to volumes, slugs made on automatic machinery are actually simpler to produce than pellets.

Only JSB and H&N have the machinery to produce very, very large volumes, hence their prices are generally lower, the others even NIELSEN are what I would deem custom manufacturers, plus you only have to look at the quality of packaging and presentation on the FX product to understand why they would be more costly, even the shipping volume cost must be 4-5 times that of 2-3 tins of the others as a 1000 box is enormous!