Slowing down a Shoebox F10 for increased longevity

I have been a Shoebox user for almost ten years, and I absolutely love how great it is as a “set it and forget it” compressor to fill tanks. My Shoebox Max is in its tenth year, having about 270 hours of run time on it (with only one “rebuild” along the way) and I figure it has compressed over 1800 cubic feet of air to 4500 psi, filling tanks hundreds of times. I do feel (or perhaps mostly hope) that it will run for many more years, but some of the recent posts I have read about failures and parts concerns had me thinking about having a backup plan. At first was thinking of more tanks, as having full ones around would buy me time to figure out what I want to do next if mine were to die – but in truth I love the Shoebox and don’t really want anything else; the slow speed is not a “bug” to me but a “feature” that leads to robustness, and I just let it do its thing while I do other stuff like yardwork and such. When the chance came to buy a lightly used F10 with less than 10 hours on it, I simply could not pass it up – that became my long-term backup plan!

The F10 is beautiful, but I have to say it runs almost scary fast – I honestly think the box is running too fast for its own good. I had some experience with changing pulleys around on my Max – I “upgraded” it to an F8 pulley a few years ago, and while that had it running (and filling) noticeably faster I felt it was still running well in control. The original Max pulley had it chugging as a very slow speed, and I think that the F8 pulley is probably the sweet spot to balance speed of fill and longevity of the compressor. That got me thinking that maybe the F8 pulley would be good to put on the F10 to slow it down and reduce the loads, hopefully leading to a much longer life – while it would technically “run longer” in terms of absolute hours, the key thing really is the number of strokes the pistons take. That is what defines the amount of air compressed, and slow would mean less heat and load on the bushings and other parts, so it should last longer to compress more total air over its life.

So I performed the swap, but also captured before and after videos to show how the speeds compare. The first video shows the Max with the F8 pulley compared to the stock F10 speed, and the second video shows the Max with its original pulley back in it and the F10 with the F8 pulley. You can clearly see the difference between all three pulley speeds. I can report that the Max pulley has only 10 cogs in it, the F8 pulley has 13 cogs, and the F10 pulley has 20, so that gives you the relative differences.

Here are the fill rates into my Guppy tank from the different compressors and configurations – do note that in all cases I feed the units air at 95 psi, which also reduces the load vs. 125 psi:
  • Original Max: 27 psi/minute
  • Max with F8 pulley: 33 psi/minute
  • F10 with F10 pulley: 50 psi/minute
  • F10 with F8 pulley: 33 psi/ minute
So the boxes are basically the same when running the same pulley . . .

This has me thinking I’ll revert my F8 pulley back to the Max, and run it until it dies, and then break out the F10 and begin using it (hopefully in the very distant future). I will say that I got the F8 pulley as a spare part back before the store closed, so I don’t know how to get others short of buying F8 compressors, or having one made. But I thought I would share what I learned on this with other Shoebox owners. The videos are only a few seconds long. In playing them before posting I notices I mispoke in the second video, saying that I had the F10 pulley in the F10, but it is really the slower F8 pulley (I show the F10 pulley out of the unit). Enjoy.

I saw your post on this the other day and had some feelings on slowing down the F10 that I kept to myself. Since you've posted again on it I'll share my thoughts.

IMO there is no reason to slow down the F10. It runs within the specs it has been designed for. I got 400 hours out of mine driving it from a 1 gallon compressor. Over that time I did a few rebuilds and the main issue that ended up taking it out of service is that I didn't have any water/moisture management between the compressor and the F10. Eventually there was a good amount of corrosion in the F10 that caused the issues. After about 300 hours the two brass bushings on the drive arm needed to be replaced. I was able to get replacements from McMaster Carr that only needed a little bit of fitting work.

If it hadn't been for moisture damage I bet I would still have the F10 up and running today. It was slowish, but the most reliable compressor I've had. This was ~4 years ago. Spent thousands on crap that broke quite quickly since then. If Shoebox was still in business I would've bought another and put some inline moisture control in place.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Running FAST or SLOWER you need to look at the TOTAL OUTPUT over time .... The strokes made for a given output should be the same.
HEAT is a killer of nearly all pneumatic compressor systems, so if things are found to be running cooler when running slower, use this info in getting better cooling in place while running faster.
As too the mechanical strain on parts, Bearings, Connecting rod & pump rods etc .... Pay attention to lubrication requirement.

Personally having an original chain drive ShoeBox, as well an F10 ShoeBox ..... I'll take the speed & overall quieter operation all day long ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not sure what I am going to do, but I think I'm going to run the Max till it dies first (with the F8 pulley on it) and then decide what to do.

ctshooter - I did read your post on your concerns on moisture in yours, and I am hoping that helps mine out as mine has always had the big Wilkerson drier in the input path eliminating any condensation in use. But I do think the loading matters to longevity . . . even if operating within "design parameters," just as happens with vehicles (one driven harder often does not last as long as one used more gently over the same miles and years).

Scott - I agree with everything you said - no matter which way I run the F10, it will be used to pump the same amount of air (at least up until it breaks on either path). But in my testing, the F10 pulley results in the pistons being at least 10 degrees F hotter on the surface than the F8 pulley, both with the cover off and fans blasting air at them. As for the noise, both are quiet but the F8 is actually a little quieter, if slower. I have to believe that the nod to longevity would go to the compressor running at a slower speed, even if well lubricated and cared for . . .

Last edited:
You can buy a plug in reastat or however it's said it's used to turn speed up or down on fans I've seen them plug in and then you plug in your item your powering you could then adjust the current to slow it down or speed it up just a thought my max I had went forever before a rebuild I rebuilt it and changed the pulley to a f8 pulley and ended up selling it because me and a friend bought a coltri mch6

OCO Labs have the 13 tooth pulleys. A little expensive at $30, but it appears that they are in stock.
I also tried McMaster Carr and while they offer quite a few, they don't have the exact item.
I have dealt with Zack when requiring the parts that still work for the Box.
Mike

Reactions: AlanMcD
Yes, but not how you think - the o-rings are held in position in the cylinder halfway down centered near the base block, and the piston moves back and forth in them. So it is the piston that slides on the o-ring and not the o-ring in a groove on the piston sliding on the cylinder wall. The cylinders do need "rebuilding" (an overstated term, as replacing the o-rings is so simple) typically somewhere in the 100-200 hour range, and it only takes about 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: DesertSilver
I have been a Shoebox user for almost ten years, and I absolutely love how great it is as a “set it and forget it” compressor to fill tanks. My Shoebox Max is in its tenth year, having about 270 hours of run time on it (with only one “rebuild” along the way) and I figure it has compressed over 1800 cubic feet of air to 4500 psi, filling tanks hundreds of times. I do feel (or perhaps mostly hope) that it will run for many more years, but some of the recent posts I have read about failures and parts concerns had me thinking about having a backup plan. At first was thinking of more tanks, as having full ones around would buy me time to figure out what I want to do next if mine were to die – but in truth I love the Shoebox and don’t really want anything else; the slow speed is not a “bug” to me but a “feature” that leads to robustness, and I just let it do its thing while I do other stuff like yardwork and such. When the chance came to buy a lightly used F10 with less than 10 hours on it, I simply could not pass it up – that became my long-term backup plan!

The F10 is beautiful, but I have to say it runs almost scary fast – I honestly think the box is running too fast for its own good. I had some experience with changing pulleys around on my Max – I “upgraded” it to an F8 pulley a few years ago, and while that had it running (and filling) noticeably faster I felt it was still running well in control. The original Max pulley had it chugging as a very slow speed, and I think that the F8 pulley is probably the sweet spot to balance speed of fill and longevity of the compressor. That got me thinking that maybe the F8 pulley would be good to put on the F10 to slow it down and reduce the loads, hopefully leading to a much longer life – while it would technically “run longer” in terms of absolute hours, the key thing really is the number of strokes the pistons take. That is what defines the amount of air compressed, and slow would mean less heat and load on the bushings and other parts, so it should last longer to compress more total air over its life.

So I performed the swap, but also captured before and after videos to show how the speeds compare. The first video shows the Max with the F8 pulley compared to the stock F10 speed, and the second video shows the Max with its original pulley back in it and the F10 with the F8 pulley. You can clearly see the difference between all three pulley speeds. I can report that the Max pulley has only 10 cogs in it, the F8 pulley has 13 cogs, and the F10 pulley has 20, so that gives you the relative differences.

Here are the fill rates into my Guppy tank from the different compressors and configurations – do note that in all cases I feed the units air at 95 psi, which also reduces the load vs. 125 psi:
  • Original Max: 27 psi/minute
  • Max with F8 pulley: 33 psi/minute
  • F10 with F10 pulley: 50 psi/minute
  • F10 with F8 pulley: 33 psi/ minute
So the boxes are basically the same when running the same pulley . . .

This has me thinking I’ll revert my F8 pulley back to the Max, and run it until it dies, and then break out the F10 and begin using it (hopefully in the very distant future). I will say that I got the F8 pulley as a spare part back before the store closed, so I don’t know how to get others short of buying F8 compressors, or having one made. But I thought I would share what I learned on this with other Shoebox owners. The videos are only a few seconds long. In playing them before posting I notices I mispoke in the second video, saying that I had the F10 pulley in the F10, but it is really the slower F8 pulley (I show the F10 pulley out of the unit). Enjoy.

Haha, yeah it seems like the F10's are on the verge of disintegrating at any moment running that fast. I had the crank arm come off and fortunately no major damage was done.

I have never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the box. But it seems to me that longer run time equals more cycles, which by itself means more wear. But it will probably be a few years before we answer that one.
The key is that these compressors move the same amount of air with each rotation. Spinning faster moves more air in a shorter amount of time, thus involves more energy input (although for a shorter duration) and thus more heat - and higher inertial loads on moving masses, which is what I am most interested in reducing. Slower speed is clearly less stress on the compressor.

That said, I doubt that the difference in speed has much bearing on o-ring life, as long as extreme heat is avoided. Tom Kaye always said the thing that wears out the o-rings is the mileage, not the heat. So that probably means that either way they will last about the same time in terms of air compressed, but obviously run times will be different.

Reactions: mobilemail
OK, I get it. Smaller gear equals slower piston cycle. Thanks for the clarification. Heck, I could totally get on board with that. Could this be someone's 3D print opportunity, or is this too much stress for a printed part?
I think that would be tough duty for a printed part. I'd call OCO labs via the link above and see if they have any left - the 13 tooth one is the one you want. The original Shoebox's had a 10 tooth drive gear, and I think 13 is the sweet spot - the F-10's use a 20 tooth, so a lot faster. You could always post a Want To Buy for one and hopefully somebody that has a spare would sell it - it's not like the original ones are going to wear out - but they'd have to see it first . . .