• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Slow Build Marauder vs FX Dreamline

Hello everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker and reader.
Greatly appreciate all the content that this community has built over the years.
I know similar topics has been debated, but just need a final push.

I'm not new to air rifles, but I have never owned a PCP and I'm looking to change that fact.

Purpose of the pcp will be small game hunting and part time backyard target practice.

Here is my current dilemma, I can acquire a .25 Synrod around $438.39 from the Crosman website using the discount code, and I could start shooting as it is and then down the road buy a regulator and other enhancements, such as but not limited to: a super hammer kit, spring kit, LW barrel, etc,
We could be talking about another $500.
My other option would be to buy a .25 Dreamline (as of right now not yet widely available in .25) for around $1,100, this will get me a more accurate and refined platform from the get-go and more possibilities in the future (thinking again it could get me in deep trouble with the Administration Committeemen).

I'm aware that they are totally different products targeted to different audiences within the Air Gun community, but they are the ones that are catching my attention the most.

I also know of other brands, such as Daystate, Diana, BSA etc, but in that mid range I'm liking the Dreamline for the level of customization and tuning.

Please note that I'm completely aware of the added cost of a tank and/or a compressor and possible other accessories such as a better scope.

Thank you for your time.

The Mrod is the Chevy small block of the air rifle world. If you are mechanucally inclimed, not afraid to try mods, etc they are solid, inexpensive, reliable and infinitely customizable. Here's what I did and don't regret it one bit. 55 shots at 29 FPE. If you have access to a metal lathe you can have a great shooting Mrod for under $600. The .25 should already have a good G.M. barrel.

.22 used Synrod. $325

LW barrel. $225 for a drop in. About 1/2 that if you machine a blank to fit.

HUMA regulator $100. Other brands work well and are $60-80.

Lighter valve spring. $7

Light weight hammer. $50? I made mine for a couple dollars. Very good mod.

Captured hammer spring. $2 in nuts & bolts at a hardware store. Very good mod.

Drill out the transfer port to the size you want. 0.155" works well with 1800# reg pressure.

No brainer to me to get the FX Dreamline. Buy the model that most fits you needs to start. Then if you need more shot capacity get the bottle adapter and bottle. Need a short inside the barn pester get the shorter barrel and turn down the power. The rifle has some much flexibility to change and add parts without having to drill or modify the rifle. Just adjusted the regulator, hammer and valve and write down your setting for each set-up. Bill

well my 2 cents ... my progression in the PCP world is as followed .. Hatsan AT44 LongQE, Umarex Gauntlet, Hatsan Bullboss, Diana Outlaw and finally (for now) FX Wildcat. We can see where this is going ... for next year I have narrowed it to two PCP in .25cal the FX Impact MKII or Airgun Technology Vulcan 2 tactical. I'm looking for "out of the box" accuracy with no tinkering needed. So stay tuned...

Great comments by everyone! I'll simply add another point of view.

I have all three caliber Marauders and an FX Wildcat. All four rifles are really fun to shoot and all make me smile:)

If you want to go "one gun and done" get an FX. My Wildcat is so sweet to shoot...trigger, accuracy, ergonomics & weight are all fantastic. The FX guns are engineering marvels.

If you want an air gun "journey" and you are reasonably mechanically incline, get a Marauder. As others have noted, the Marauder is simple to work on & the aftermarket parts availability is very good....maybe as good as the AR world.

Currently, my .22 Marauder with regulator, free flight hammer & Marmont Militia barrel is my most accurate (lubed pellets) rifle.

Hope this helps and good luck with what ever route you choose.

You indicated that you are considering a .25 Mrod. These come with Green Mountain barrels and there shouldn't be any need to upgrade, so the price will be a lot lower in the end. I recommend keeping your eyes open on the used market. You can usually find some very nice rifles out there at good prices. Now that the Dreamline has been out there a while, I've seen a few used ones pop up already. As far as "one gun and done" is concerned, if you get into this hobby, that will never happen. BTW, I've seen some used FX 500s and Basic Crowns for not too much more than the Dreamline. In fact, the new FX Crown VP is $1399, just a couple hundred dollars more than a Dreamline.

Your purpose "Purpose of the pcp will be small game hunting and part time backyard target practice."

Why would you need all the other stuff you listed to add to a .25 Marauder? Unless you are a top flight target shooter, you will find that a .25 Marauder is a very accurate air rifle. Out of 60+ airguns, the only one I have that will out shoot my .25 Marauder, accuracy wise, is my FWB 300s. But I don't use the FWB 300s to hunt and for backyard target practice, the .25 Marauder is still one hole accurate.

There is no way you could go wrong buying the .25 Marauder and probably never add all those other accessories unless you just like to play with mods. I rebuild airguns and have never even found the need to or desire to open up my .25 Marauder to improve the gun.

There certainly is nothing wrong with any FX, but for your stated purpose, the .25 Marauder will do everything you want to do. And no, I don't own an FX so I would never bad mouth one, they have an excellent record and I'm sure you would be happy with an FX also. 

A clear statement on any air rifle. Eventually O-rings and seals fail, time always wins; there are no exceptions. Eventually you will be inside any air rifle you buy.

Some are easier to work on than others. Some, you will swear were designed by malicious gnomes, hell-bent on causing consternation and anguish. 

For me, long-term availability of parts is important to me (how long has the manufacturer existed, are they likely to have spare parts in 20 years?). I don't buy and sell my air rifles; I tend to buy/keep/maintain my air rifles.

I love the look and feel of many of the new boutique brand air rifles, they are true marvels. The appeal of such air rifles is apparent. A new Corvette brings more pride than a new Camry.

Should I buy a high-end air rifles, I understand it should shoot exceptionally out of the box. A rifle like the Marauder .25 will typically be a half-notch down out of the box. And yes, with work, the Marauder .25 will shoot so close to a boutique rifles, that only a real pro could produce measurable differences at the range. A ragged ten shot hole is quite common for an upgraded Marauder .25 at 50 yards.

So your answer comes down to two factors:

1. Acknowledge you will eventually be in any air rifle, you are paying extra to defer that work until a later date (when an o-ring fails, or a spring breaks). You are paying to put off that work until later.

2. Pride of ownership. Among air rifle fans, they will know you have a really cool airgun in your hands. The non-airgun literate at the range will only care about how accurate and quiet your airgun is. Both of your choices can produce similar results.

I’m with Jonah on this one. If you are a basic level mechanical type of guy, the Marauder is so easy to open up and fix, after two attempts you’ll be doing it in your sleep. Very user friendly gun, parts are cheap from Crosman(as I just recently learned), the aftermarket like Hill Airguns, JSAR, and a few others more are support friendly for these guns. The Marauder was my first when I got into PCP guns two years ago, and I’ll never get rid of it. The 25 cal hits like a hammer!

I have a .22 Marauder and an Impact. The Marauder got me shooting, is an incredible learning platform and for hunting out to 75 yards, pretty accurate. Here's what I did:

• Marauder About $400 give or take depending where you buy it.
  • Regulator - I went cheap and picked up an Adrius. You can get them for about $70 from Hill Airguns
  • Lighter valve spring - $10 from Hill
  • 20 gram hammer $60 from Hill
  • #262 Hammer Spring $10 from Hill

So for another $160, I have a regulated rifle that gives me 1.5 inch groups at 75 yards.

Here's the drawback. If you want to adjust the regulator, you must de-gas the gun, remove the fill nipple, remove the regulator, kinda guess at the adjustment, put it back in and reassemble. You go through boatloads of air. I have a compressor so no big deal, but if you are paying by the tank, it adds up. I probably reset the reg 12 or 15 times testing, deciding to change pressure and doing it again. Royal pain in posterior. However, for a total of under $600, I now have a gun I love, tets 60 shots per fill, and is really accurate.

On the other hand, if you want to adjust the reg on a Dreamline, you grab your trusty hex wrench and adjust. Way easier. Adjusting my Impact is incredibly easy compared to the Marauder. Granted I'm comparing a $600 gun to a $2000 gun, and the Marauder trigger is good, not an Impact trigger, but it is good!

And working on the Marauder - compared to the Impact? I'll take the Marauder any day. The Impact is the Fararri of airguns, and probably has near 50 O-Rings in at least 14 sizes. The Marauder has something like 10 O-Rings in 3 sizes. Sooooo much easier to work on! I spent last winter working on the Impact.. Spent the spring working on the Marauder. No comparison.

The FX gun will always be more adjustable and more accurate, but what do you need? The Marauder is a fantastic first gun, and I'll be hard pressed to let mine go, ever. Heartily recommend the Marauder, Great place to start. The Dreamline would be a fantastic spot too, but maybe too much gun for first time around.