Slow .25 or .30 cal for squirrels

JimD

I love the knockout slugs! I'm shooting them around 940 fps with excellent accuracy & I can confirm what you said, they are very explosive! I haven't managed to catch a K.O slug yet! but I have caught a few NSA 36gr slugs by laying a water bottle (full of water) on its side & shooting directly thru the plastic cap.. Get a good straight shot into the bottle & you can pour the slug out. Anyway, the expansion of the 36gr NSA slugs are excellent as well. 

I recently took down a really big squirrel with a .177 HW30 shooting 10grn H&N Baraccuda Hunter. I think HW30’s are like a measly 7FPE. I shot him in the head tho. Also the Baraccuda Hunter is such an outrageous hollowpoint, it’s difficult for me to tell by feel which side is front and which is skirt. The nutter was only 10-12 yards away, one of the reasons I chose a big heavy blunt pellet for maximum damage with no pass-thru. The accuracy of that pellet diminishes beyond short range so I don’t use it much. I’ve had this tin going on 5 or 7 years now. That tree rat didn’t go anywhere. He had some seizure-type activity, mouth gaped open, then stopped moving before I finished reloading, so I thought he was dead. I didn’t retreive him right away because I didn’t want to be seen in case any of his buddies want to come join the party. I’ll be gosh darned, he started moving again but his skull was so bashed that he didn’t have enough sensory perception or neurological coordination to have any success at a getaway. I put another pellet in his rib cage and that was that. I ought not be surprised anymore, long ago this happened a time or three using .22 polymag at 20+ FPE. Squirrel took one to the skull with a satisfying polymag PoP and fell off a trunk. After a few minutes of dirt nap, he pulled a HulkaMania resurrection, popping up with a deformed skull and eyeball hanging out of socket. He had so much nerve damage that he couldn’t put one foot in front the other to escape. 

This is opposed to some head shots that will have the squirrel RUNNING AROUND IN CIRLCES or flipping all around.

I would really like to know what is happening when quarry runs in circles.... 🤔

It clearly does not seem like an uncoordinated muscle spasm (like in the flipping and flopping around) — but a coordinated muscle activity, one setting one foot before the other.

🔸 Do they feel any pain at this stage? Or are they basically dead? Or what...?

I really would like to clear up that mystery, as I have observed this on YT and other venues multiple times.

Thanks,

Matthias

I use a 22 for squirrels and go for a head shot.. Even when they are more upright and I hit low in the neck or shoulder area they don't go more than a couple feet and it's usually from flipping around. I sometimes get the run on their side in a circle thing but they still end up pretty much where they were when they were hit. 

For some reason rabbits, which are obviously bigger than the squirrels tend to just drop on the spot with little to no movement when I hit them in the head with my 22.

FYI I'm getting about 50 fpe at the muzzle with my Prophet Performance on these shots. 

This is opposed to some head shots that will have the squirrel RUNNING AROUND IN CIRLCES or flipping all around.

I would really like to know what is happening when quarry runs in circles....
1f914.svg

It clearly does not seem like an uncoordinated muscle spasm (like in the flipping and flopping around) — but a coordinated muscle activity, one setting one foot before the other.

1f538.svg
Do they feel any pain at this stage? Or are they basically dead? Or what...?

I really would like to clear up that mystery, as I have observed this on YT and other venues multiple times.

Thanks,

Matthias

”Like a chicken running around with its head cut off”

Coordinated but clearly dead I’m my opinion. Pain is just a perception of damage and perception is a trait of the mind/brain. As to where the coordination comes from, the muscular nervous system is designed well enough to work without direct thought. Consider when you trip as you walk, you don’t think about correcting your gait. Your body just reacts. Muscle memory is similar and likely applies to this situation.

The head may be “alive” for a few seconds while oxygen depletes. You can decide what alive really means. Heartbeat? Mind? Breath? Movement … that is a debate for another forum

Here's one of Ted's videos on this very topic. He brings in a university professor to explain what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1INVWP-HnI

Love it! Very appropriate video for this discussion and for hunters and pesters to reference, especially those who film and share footage of kill shots. Thanks for sharing. 

...As an aside, it is possible to disrupt an animals nervous system with a high velocity projectile impact but it takes a lot more velocity than air rifles generate. It is also possible for the temporary wound channel tissue to be permanently damaged but it takes more velocity than we have. I think the "energy dump" phrase may come from these situations but they are only really possible with powder burning rifles. Pistols and air rifles/pistols are too low in velocity to have these affects. We just make holes - which can work very well.

I have been doing some testing my admittedly oversized Benjamin Bulldog .357 in 6x6x16" Clear Ballistics Gel Alphabet org grade block, so I can try and gauge ammo lethality.

The photo below shows the Polymag Temporary Wound Channel, which was over triple the size of the NSA 142, 110 and 79 gr slugs.

Do you think this could rip nerves, veins and arteries?

VideoCapture_20211218-044621.1642055368.jpg