Slow .25 or .30 cal for squirrels

I've shot more squirrels with my Marauder pistol than with either of my 25 calibers. I got it first. I lost a couple early when I was using the tune it came with, 13-14 fpe at the muzzle. I retuned it to 16-18 fpe and the last 15 haven't moved more than a couple feet. I aim for head shots when reasonably possible but sometimes I hit the head but the angle of the squirrel is such that the pellet goes into the neck and out the shoulder. It happened to me today with a 25 caliber PCP. Squirrel flipped a bit but took no steps. Sometimes I hit the shoulder area. I shot one with a pump up 177, a 1377, at about 5 fpe. The pellet did not make it through the shoulder. To me that is unacceptable. My Prod at the original tune would not shoot through a squirrel from the side. I hung one on a tree (a dead one) and shot it with multiple types of pellets. With the new tune a straight side shot will go through as will a head shot. An angled shot will not but goes through enough of the squirrel they still drop. I hit one in the front shoulder and found it in front of the back leg on the other side, for instance. The squirrel took a step or two and dropped.

My Prod likes copper plated H&N FTT and that is what I've used to kill most of the squirrels. I have also used Crosman domed and hollow points, however. The hollow points do not expand at Prod velocities. Muzzle velocity is a little over 700 fps.

I think my 25s kill them a little quicker. I only used my Avenger on a couple, it is noisy. It is tuned to shoot FX 25.4s at 930 fps. All shots passed through but I put a follow up in one of the two squirrels it killed. I hit the shoulder area but it angled back and came out the opposite rear leg. The squirrel was still moving when I was reloaded so I put another in it. I don't think it would have run off but I took no chances. I've killed 7 now with my P35. It likes H&N FTTs which in 25 weigh 20 grains. It is tuned to shoot them at 875 fps. I got pass throughs on 6 of the 7. On one I got both front shoulders and found the pellet under the hide on the off side. None of these squirrels have taken even one step after impact.

My shots have not exceeded 30 yards. At this sort of range, I think a 22 is fully adequate as long as you have upper teens in fpe at the muzzle. I know lower can work but in my experience if you go lower you definitely want to hit the brain to be confident of them dropping. Body shots will work if you have a bit more energy and you hit them in the front half of the body.

I am not at all in the :"energy dump" camp. I don't even like the phrase. We kill animals by stopping their brain. Either by hitting it with our projectile or removing it's oxygen by hitting vital organs and causing blood loss. Our projectiles make holes. The holes need to be deep enough to reach the vital organs even if our shot hits the front shoulder. I like having enough penetration that side shots go through which seems to equate to a little over 2 inches penetration in wet magazines. I test new guns and projectiles before shooting game with them. If you can get 2+ inches penetration with expansion I think that is fine. But if I have to choose, I choose adequate penetration. To date, all my squirrel kills have been with pellets that did not expand. They work fine. But I may use a slug at some point with one of my 25s. They will still penetrate enough and the reduced penetration would reduce the velocity of the projectile at exit. Expansion of slugs seems to be very velocity dependent, however. At longer range I may not get any expansion but they should still kill fine like a domed pellet would. My P35 likes H&N Slug HPs but I can't find them to buy in the lighter weights. When I do, I may test them on a squirrel or two. They will expand a little at 25 yards.

As an aside, it is possible to disrupt an animals nervous system with a high velocity projectile impact but it takes a lot more velocity than air rifles generate. It is also possible for the temporary wound channel tissue to be permanently damaged but it takes more velocity than we have. I think the "energy dump" phrase may come from these situations but they are only really possible with powder burning rifles. Pistols and air rifles/pistols are too low in velocity to have these affects. We just make holes - which can work very well.

Very well put Jim. I know the .25 hits a little harder, but the bigger hole is the key. You have to have a .25 with enough power to make it through. I like the .22 because it has the same results as the .25 with a head shot. Then on top of that you get more shots, cheaper pellets, quieter impact, better trajectory and the ability to make the necessary power with cheaper platforms without modifying (I know not all cheap 25s are underwhelming). The benefit doesn’t seem to outweigh the downside for me. Saying this, I love my little .25 I have right now and I kill quite a few squirrels with it I just keep it inside 30, but much prefer my .22’s.

Try knock outs 22 960 fps m2 compact. I know squirrels are tougher. 
20200705_062715.1640738243.jpg

Those slugs would be fun if they are accurate. Which diameter NSA slugs do you use and how fast do you push them? My .22 marauder has the Lothar Walther barrel

Im shooting the .217 @ 900 FPS. I believe they are available in several different Diameters.

Thank you for the info Howler. I ordered some .217 and .216”. Hopefully one of them will shoot close to JSB 18s. 
If not, then maybe they will be good enough for 40 or so yards and in. That would help with the pass throughs that seem to be inevitable with the domes at those ranges

Those slugs would be fun if they are accurate. Which diameter NSA slugs do you use and how fast do you push them? My .22 marauder has the Lothar Walther barrel

Im shooting the .217 @ 900 FPS. I believe they are available in several different Diameters.

Thank you for the info Howler. I ordered some .217 and .216”. Hopefully one of them will shoot close to JSB 18s. 
If not, then maybe they will be good enough for 40 or so yards and in. That would help with the pass throughs that seem to be inevitable with the domes at those ranges

They have worked well for me with body shots.. But dont get me wrong, they are accurate enough for headshots from my rifle! they expand nicely & I love hearing the Loud "thump" when I connect. Good luck! Hope it works for ya..

On the topic of headshot, I’ve experienced a bad one! I was 25 yards away from the squirrel sitting on a log eating it’s nut when I shot it with my p-rod. The pellet went straight through it’s eyes and

the squirrel began running in circles.

I put it down as quickly as possible with a follow up shot.

🔴 Could someone explain what exactly is happening when an animal runs in circles that has received a deadly hit to the head?

I have seen this a couple of times on YT and other occasions....

Thanks! 👍🏼

Matthias

On the topic of headshot, I’ve experienced a bad one! I was 25 yards away from the squirrel sitting on a log eating it’s nut when I shot it with my p-rod. The pellet went straight through it’s eyes and

the squirrel began running in circles.

I put it down as quickly as possible with a follow up shot.

1f534.svg
Could someone explain what exactly is happening when an animal runs in circles that has received a deadly hit to the head?

I have seen this a couple of times on YT and other occasions....

Thanks!
1f44d-1f3fc.svg

Matthias

I have no idea! But earlier this season I smacked a big grey that was facing down on the side of a tree right thru the boiler room with a 25 cal 43gr NSA slug @ 878FPS.

He ran around the tree & then dropped dead! This was a 43yrd shot that went clean thru & left blood spatter on the leaves on the opposite side! It couldn't have been any cleaner of a shot. I can't think like a squirrel! But right before I shot him he was playing cat & mouse with another grey & seemed really excited. Maybe that had him hyped I duno??

🔸Howler,

thanks for the details of what you observed, that adds another case to the one Coolhand reported.

Weird.... 🤔

🔸LanceHenley1,

yes, I heard about the nerve twitching.

However, I always had thought that the nerve twitching is uncoordinated — as in the legs of a downed animal make a running motion through simple muscle spasms — but it's down, it's not really running, there is no coordination of one leg with the other(s), there is no maintaining the body upright and in balance....

I'm still intrigued by this and would really like to understand this better. 👍🏼

Matthias

I have shot 25 caliber knockouts into wet paper from my Avenger at about 850 fps. They expanded very nicely but only penetrated about 2 inches. But that should be enough for a squirrel. My Avenger shoots them OK but not really well. Recently I tried NSA 26.8s and they seemed to group well but my home made moderator has started clipping so some of the shots were pretty far off. Need to go to a range or get a new moderator.

I've also shot two different weights of H&N Slug HPs from my P35. The lighter ones were going 750 fps and the heavier ones about 700. The lighter ones expanded a little but the heavier ones did not. I've seen other tests which seem fairly consistent with my experience. Most slugs will not expand much if at all under about 800 fps. I really doubt any expand at all under 600 fps. But they still would buck wind well and have a little less drop.

The main reason I use my lower tuned 25 for squirrels in the backyard is it is my quietest gun. It's about 10 db quieter than my Prod. I got a little moderator I will try on the Prod when I get a chance. It is pretty long, however, so even if it drops the sound well I don't know how much I'll use it. I have more clean kills in a row with no misses with my Prod than my P35. I think it's just the high scope and resulting trajectory. I need to hold over a little until I get to 20 yards, even 18 makes it shoot almost half an inch low. But I am very happy with the Prod's effect on squirrels at short range. I agree the ammo is cheaper and often easier to find. I'm hoping to pick up a P35 in 22, Krale hasn't had them in stock for months.