Brocock/BRK Sloppy Ghost !?!

...I just bought a .22 Ghost HP and found the action lever to be quite sloppy...is this normal for the Ghost...?!?...is there some remedy...???...

...I don't have much experience with these new-fangled lever action repeaters...do most of them have this much play in the lever...???...

...I do have a "Benjamin" Cayden and an Air Maks Caimen, and both those rifles have a lot less slack in their lever arms...

...their combined price much is less than that of the Ghost...

...the Caimen is downright snug compared to the Ghost...

...I am not sure that it is something I will be able to overlook going forward...I would like to think I would just get used to it, but fear it may bug me every time I use the rifle...

...if it were not for the tiny five shot test group AoA produced with this rifle @ 20 yards, I would have already returned it...they tuned it well for JSB 18.13 grain pellets for me...

...AoA has issued an RMA # with no restock penalty...the only cost I would incur would be shipping...Chris @ AoA rocks...!!!...

Reactions: Ranchibi
...I just bought a .22 Ghost HP and found the action lever to be quite sloppy...is this normal for the Ghost...?!?...is there some remedy...???...

...I don't have much experience with these new-fangled lever action repeaters...do most of them have this much play in the lever...???...

...I do have a "Benjamin" Cayden and an Air Maks Caimen, and both those rifles have a lot less slack in their lever arms...

...their combined price much is less than that of the Ghost...

...the Caimen is downright snug compared to the Ghost...

...I am not sure that it is something I will be able to overlook going forward...I would like to think I would just get used to it, but fear it may bug me every time I use the rifle...

...if it were not for the tiny five shot test group AoA produced with this rifle @ 20 yards, I would have already returned it...they tuned it well for JSB 18.13 grain pellets for me...

...AoA has issued an RMA # with no restock penalty...the only cost I would incur would be shipping...Chris @ AoA rocks...!!!...
Go to YouTube and watch Sub12 video on the ghost

Reactions: Hapo
Wolfman,
Thanks for posting link, had no trouble finding on YouTube, but can't do links. Nearly fell out of my chair when reviewer demonstrated side-lever wobble, liked his plan to install thin spacers. Nod to Cavedweller for the catch. WM
Sorry, Sir, just double-checked link, that's not the one I saw. Sub12 did a 16-minute video about 7 months ago called, "BRK Ghost UK Overview," side-lever wobble addressed @ 3:28m. YouTube search, "Brocock Ghost," select, "Brocock Ghost Reviews," from drop down list, then scroll down 5, or 6, reviews. WM

Last edited:
Couple thoughts....

First is that theres sort of cam over effect that keeps it closed and likewise has to be overcome to open it.

Second is that, depending on how much hammer spring preload is dialed in, the initial movement of what I call the cocking block (via side lever) doesn't start to compress the hammer spring. The compression begins further into the travel of the cocking lever. Almost like a break barrel springer where the effort to compress the spring is in the last half of barrel travel.

Both of the above combine to make it feel like there's some give in the first 25ish percent of travel. But if you watch that cocking block, it's moving if the cocking lever is moving.

...thanks, Frank...those are things I had not especially noticed...I was concerned aboot the "up and down" (lateral?) play in the lever when it was halfway opened...I have not actually run any pellets through the rifle or even cocked it...the lever doesn't rattle or anything when it is closed...

...I should probably not let it bother me so much, but it didn't feel very "premium" in such an otherwise well fitted rifle...

...as mentioned, I have little experience with these lever action repeaters...I only have handled two others to compare it to...

...the Air Mak Caiman does have a much less wobbly lever feel, but the gun developed regulator issues, after little actual use, and has basically failed, so there is that...

...the UK Overview WorriedMan directed me to has been very helpful in gaining some perspective...(3:28)...I was worried, man...!!!....

...that UK Overview made me aware of some other things I am probably not going much like, but now they won't be surprises, so I will have some of that perspective going for me, which is nice...

1706336202621.png

Last edited:
...thanks, Frank...those are things I had not especially noticed...I was concerned aboot the "up and down" (lateral?) play in the lever when it was halfway opened...I have not actually run any pellets through the rifle or even cocked it...the lever doesn't rattle or anything when it is closed...

...I should probably not let it bother me so much, but it didn't feel very "premium" in such an otherwise well fitted rifle...

...as mentioned, I have little experience with these lever action repeaters...I only have handled two others to compare it to...

...the Air Mak Caiman does have a much less wobbly lever feel but the gun developed regulator issues, after little actual use, and has basically failed, so there is that...

...the UK Overview WorriedMan directed me to has been very helpful in gaining some perspective...(3:28)...I was worried, man...!!!....
Cavedweller gets the credit, I just happened to find it, glad to help. WM

Yeah, my Ghost lever is pretty loose (vertical, or up & down movement) also.
Actually, it looks like someone sanded the black coating off the the lever where the pivot to frame location is. Obviously I don't know why this was done, but.

I was going to call the dealer about the "hand working" on my gun, I chose not to. Not a big deal, whoever did the sanding did an ok job of it. Very smooth, almost polished finish.
But yes...still a sloppy fit.
I started to put a shim in the gap. I have some very thin shim material from work. But...not thin enough !

Matter of fact, I shot my Ghost yesterday. Overall, smooth as butter, cocking action. Ultimately, not concerned.

Mike

Reactions: Hapo
Well this topic made me take my Ghost and other side levers from the shelf.

As it seems I just cock my riffles and only think in light medium and heavy. All my levers have some slop.

While I was busy I noticed that all my triggers had some side slop too.

I own quite some brands but seems normal. Or I have bad luck. They all shoot awesome and as long as I hit my targets I do not care.

Eric

@Hapo, give it a chance before making a final conclusion off of an initial impression.

Especially if you haven't even shot it yet, as you said.

...well, if I did that I get hit with a 15% restocking fee...

...it looks like the price went up $100 since I bought mine...

...methinks I am going with what you think...you think good...

...AoA should cut you a percentage...(grin)...