• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Skout Rear Benchrest Review

Skout Airguns was kind enough to provide me with one of their first production run examples of the new SKOUT REAR BENCHREST. After a couple of trips out to the range to put it through it's paces, are my impression.

It's been suggested that I upload the text of the review so that those that don't like downloading PDFs can simply view it online here.
So.......here you go.

+++++++++++++++++++
Skout Airguns Rear Benchrest
April 2nd 2024 by Joe Polanco
As a competitive bench shooter, I get to see a lot of different accessories designed to enhance
accuracy and the shooting experience. Many of them are of limited use and even more limited quality.
I'm happy to report that the latest offering from Skout is destined to be neither. Although currently it's
only for use with their Epoch, a soon to be released attachment will make it compatible with virtually
any commonly used benchrest gun. The design is innovative, the action is silky smooth, the weight is
substantial and build quality is equal to that of their already lauded Epoch. Just one look tells you that
this piece has the potential to be game changing.
Lets take a quick look at the features.

1: Overall Weight +/- 7lbs.
2: Micro Adjustable Leveling Feet
3: Precise, Ambidextrous Windage Adjustment
4: Interchangeable, Magnetic Windage Adjustment knobs (two variants included)
5: Large, Precise Elevation Adjustment Wheel
6: Arca Swiss QR Mounting Plate
7: Windage Tension Adjustment & Position Lock
8: Bubble Level

This feature rich rest has a build quality equal to that of the gun for which it was designed.
Made of high quality anodized aluminum alloy this rear rest should last the user a lifetime. The
operation is smooth and stable allowing the shooter to cut the amount of applied pressure necessary to
keep the gun on target throughout the shooting sequence thereby enhancing shot to shot precision.
From target acquisition to post shot follow through, the Skout Rear Rest minimizes realignment time
literally buying the user more opportunities to catch his/her optimal shooting condition. For benchrest
shooters who shoot in varying wind conditions, having a little extra time to wait for a favored wind can
be just the edge they need.

I found the use of this rear rest far preferable to adjusting with either my front rest (a Russ Bear bi-pod) or
any rear bag rest if which I have many. I was able to achieve enhanced consistency in my shot to shot
placement with considerably less effort even when “chasing the wind” as during the period of time
after making any adjustment, I found it unnecessary to manually hold the gun in that position while
waiting for “my preferred wind”. For me, that was the real hook.

So to wrap up, what should already appear to be a pretty straight forward set of attributes:

Pros:
1: stability provided from the added weight and hard attachment
2: precision adjustments allowing for much more consistent shot to shot accuracy
3: build quality equal to that of the gun for which it was produced
4: value for dollar – at the current price point it not only out performs it's front rest competitors,
but does so at a fraction of their cost

Cons:
1: currently proprietary (for the Epoch only at this time)
2: lacks “cant” adjustment – for those not shooting from a very close to level surface, it's hard
points of attachment do not allow the rifle to be canted

Currently, Skout is working on an accessory saddle clamp. This clamp will make the rest a
universally usable tool allowing it to be used with virtually any rifle while simultaneously eliminating
the canting issue.

There are some exciting innovative things for airgunners coming out of Pennsylvania these days. For
the serious bench shooter, the Skout Rear Adjustable Benchrest is certainly well worth a look.

+++++++++++++++++++

View attachment Skout Epoch Rear Benchrest Review_240408_043526.pdf

Attachments

• Skout Epoch Rear Rest - (2).jpg
    Skout Epoch Rear Rest - (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Skout Epoch Rear Rest - (1).jpg
    Skout Epoch Rear Rest - (1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Skout BR - (2).JPG
    Skout BR - (2).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • Skout Epoch Rear Rest - (3).jpg
    Skout Epoch Rear Rest - (3).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Skout Epoch Rear Rest - (4).jpg
    Skout Epoch Rear Rest - (4).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
So does the rest physically attach to the gun? If so, what absorbs recoil?

Thanks for the write-up.

Dave
In it's initial configuration, the rest is currently being sold for use with only the EPOCH. With proper setup and grip, any recoil is distributed between the weight of the rest and shooters shoulder. The short barreled .25 cal (the configuration I typically use) has the most recoil of any of the configurations I have tested. (.22 L&S, .25 L&S, .30 L&S, .35 L) I found the rest to greatly reduce the amount of shoulder pressure the gun requires.

Glad to see Skout adding a rear rest to their lineup. I do have some questions though. It appears the rest has 4 leveling legs. If so, 4 points of contact are a hinderance to level a rest on any surface. Wouldn't it be more beneficial and logical to use 3 points of contact?

The elevation adjustment also makes me scratch my head. It appears that the leverage ratio of the cantilevered mounting arm creates a moment on the elevation post and therefore potentially binds the elevation screw threads in a less than ideal design of application?