• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Skout EPOCH Update - Dec 16th 2022

Your more than welcome to spend $3k on a rifle sourced from parts made in China and wherever in Asia, I choose not to..
I will not spend so much money on an an experimental rifle.

I could eventually spend that money on a confirmed marvel rifle after it is dully confirmed that it offers much more than the many (half priced) rifles that I already have.

I have zero affiliation with Skout, but do know Darryl Trent and the owners of Skout as competitors in the Paintball world.
The Epoch has some of its electronics sourced from the orient, ie; solenoids, PCBs, LED screens and wiring harnesses. I'd say 95% of the Skout is American made. I'm an admitted FX fanboy, but we got to happy there is an American company stepping up to compete with FX and Daystate.

I have zero affiliation with Skout, but do know Darryl Trent and the owners of Skout as competitors in the Paintball world.
The Epoch has some of its electronics sourced from the orient, ie; solenoids, PCBs, LED screens and wiring harnesses. I'd say 95% of the Skout is American made. I'm an admitted FX fanboy, but we got to happy there is an American company stepping up to compete with FX and Daystate.
The combination of the new Huben k1, LCS, Rattler system with an electronic trigger, is something I am really interested in being posted.

But I really doubt about their barrels.

Including a CZ an LW would had been easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloudrider

While I completely agree and I'm happy at least an American company is trying to compete but given the competition Skout has to be much better and cheaper! Sadly it already failed on the cheaper part, being better is a tall order and they are (NOT YET) the new kid on the block.........:cautious:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloudrider
Is what it is. Like everything made in the USA it probably really isn’t. How much comes from where I trust we will never know. I do know these guys made some pretty good innovative paintball stuff. Guns like the impulse and shocker that ran on very low pressures like 120 psi if I remember correctly. Now those are only pushing a light paintball to around 300 fps but their guns ran lower pressure than most competitors did.

Reactions: Skout-airguns
So can an honest break down of what is Made in the US and what is Made in China be had ?

Just a guess here:
- metal and plastic parts are made here due to low volume (promptly moved to china if volume picks up)
- electronic parts are made in china due to lack of electronic manufacturing expertise and capabilities here in the US
- barrels will likely be outsourced to LW or CZ, then to chinese manufactures like Snew\Peak after a while

Sad trend in "American" companies these days. The word "American" in quotes is because all the American brands are being bought by chinese companies so they look like "American" companies, only thing American left is just the name and the few American sales/marketing people.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: XMX
Is what it is. Like everything made in the USA it probably really isn’t. How much comes from where I trust we will never know. I do know these guys made some pretty good innovative paintball stuff. Guns like the impulse and shocker that ran on very low pressures like 120 psi if I remember correctly. Now those are only pushing a light paintball to around 300 fps but their guns ran lower pressure than most competitors did.
Thanks Trucker. Hoping to show everyone soon. From players (shooters) to shooters~Darryl

So the "Made in the USA" in the ads is missleading since it's actually made in China and then assembled in the USA,....right ?

Sidenote, I don't care if stuff is made in China because I think they make great stuff,...but just don't use the "Made in the USA" as a selling point.
So let me ask you, if a house is designed by an architect from Tennessee and built there but the wood used was sourced and milled in China, with plastic outlets made in China, with any number of parts and pieces produced in China, was it "Made in the USA"?

So let me ask you, if a house is designed by an architect from Tennessee and built there but the wood used was sourced and milled in China, with plastic outlets made in China, with any number of parts and pieces produced in China, was it "Made in the USA"?
If parts are made in China then it's made in China and assembled in the US.

The word "Made" is quite definite

Nike shoes are designed in the US but the label say made in XXXX

I assumed it was made in the USA with that price tag. Guys pay big bucks for Daystate and FX rifles because they’re made in those countries with unquestionable materials and machining to a higher standard than most overseas factories. Next to “made in USA” what makes me feel good is reading made in England, Germany, Sweden, Russia. Not to say China doesn’t put out quality products I.e. Huben k1. But the words “made in China” doesn’t inspire confidence.

No doubt Skout has the technology of a high end rifle, but to be made in China is an obstacle to overcome for the marketing team. Or when guys start winning comps with them, then it will be irrelevant where it is made.

I assumed it was made in the USA with that price tag. Guys pay big bucks for Daystate and FX rifles because they’re made in those countries with unquestionable materials and machining to a higher standard than most overseas factories. Next to “made in USA” what makes me feel good is reading made in England, Germany, Sweden, Russia. Not to say China doesn’t put out quality products I.e. Huben k1. But the words “made in China” doesn’t inspire confidence.

No doubt Skout has the technology of a high end rifle, but to be made in China is an obstacle to overcome for the marketing team. Or when guys start winning comps with them, then it will be irrelevant where it is made.
Considering they have a long successful history of making absolute top of the line paintball markers... I'm sure they are using the same manufacturers to make their parts as they do their markers.

A artisan American made precision pew pew surpasses $5000 in a blink of an eye... And I'm sure this air rifle would as well if it was 100% sourced and manufactured here.

And let's not act like things being made in America instantly make it quality. I meet very few people that take pride in their work these days. A very tiny percent of our population these days truly strive for perfection. I can't say what happens in other countries, but modern American culture has not bred these traits into the current generations.

I don't care where it's made. As long as it flips the PCP industry on its head with performance, reliability, and build quality. I'm not buying a "made in America" sticker. I'm buying a air gun. Rather have a Chinese masterpiece than a American pile of 💩. Imho (not that I would mind a quality American made product, but it's not a deal breaker that it isn't made here)

Reactions: DMTman
Quality CNC works equally in every part of the world, the thing is how much a worker costs, I know for sure that well-known German car manufacturing companies supply many parts from "poor" countries, and because of the war in Ukraine and the crisis, they will probably move production to those " poor" countries! ...
Times change, and in the end it's always a matter of damned money and interest, because sheep are used for shearing and other things...

Considering they have a long successful history of making absolute top of the line paintball markers... I'm sure they are using the same manufacturers to make their parts as they do their markers.

A artisan American made precision pew pew surpasses $5000 in a blink of an eye... And I'm sure this air rifle would as well if it was 100% sourced and manufactured here.

And let's not act like things being made in America instantly make it quality. I meet very few people that take pride in their work these days. A very tiny percent of our population these days truly strive for perfection. I can't say what happens in other countries, but modern American culture has not bred these traits into the current generations.

I don't care where it's made. As long as it flips the PCP industry on its head with performance, reliability, and build quality. I'm not buying a "made in America" sticker. I'm buying a air gun. Rather have a Chinese masterpiece than a American pile of 💩. Imho (not that I would mind a quality American made product, but it's not a deal breaker that it isn't made here)
“Not to say China doesn’t put out quality products I.e. Huben k1. But the words “made in China” doesn’t inspire confidence.”

I don’t get the rant. I concur that China can put out good quality IF the company that contracts them chooses those options: tighter machining tolerances, higher quality metal, etc.

BTW an “artisan made pew pew” can be had for $2900. A proven winner of many competitions. Just so happens the Mac 1 FT is made in America. Also worth mentioning are the $2600 rifles made by American Air Arms.

Back to the topic of where this rifle is made, I see that I missed a previous post mentioning that 95% of the gun is made in the USA and the electronic components are made in China. I’d rather electronic components to be made in China than America. Their manufacturing has mastered making those components.

“Not to say China doesn’t put out quality products I.e. Huben k1. But the words “made in China” doesn’t inspire confidence.”

I don’t get the rant. I concur that China can put out good quality IF the company that contracts them chooses those options: tighter machining tolerances, higher quality metal, etc.

BTW an “artisan made pew pew” can be had for $2900. A proven winner of many competitions. Just so happens the Mac 1 FT is made in America. Also worth mentioning are the $2600 rifles made by American Air Arms.

Back to the topic of where this rifle is made, I see that I missed a previous post mentioning that 95% of the gun is made in the USA and the electronic components are made in China. I’d rather electronic components to be made in China than America. Their manufacturing has mastered making those components.
I wasn't speaking of any air rifles. Pew pew was meant to reference something we can not talk on this forum about. My uncle does ERL competitions and doesn't even have anything real fancy. It cost well over the 5k mark. Just the action is 2k.

Expecting a company to produce a brand new product... With loads of R&D... Then to be made not only in America.. but made in America by Americans who actually care... I'd expect this Skout to be much more

American air arms. So your going to compare a hammerless... Electronic operated air gun with multiple barrels include at a $2900 price point... To a rifle.. that is basically the same as every other air rifle ever made.. with a single barrel... that cost $2700-2900 to the Skout. Sounds like you'd be happy to pay $2900 for the exact same thing with no industry shaking improvements with a single barrel as long as some guy who lives in the US made it.

The Skout is touted as a culmination of everything that makes many different air rifles great... In a single rifle.

Btw.. I refuse to buy AEA.. or hatsan... Or any of that Chinese crap. And I certainly would appreciate a all American manufactured air rifle... But I don't think expect a company to offer 5x what anyone else, made with $40/hr American labor, for the same price as everyone else

Idk I'm done with this convo. Apparently you don't follow what I'm saying. Buy a American air arms for the same price as this one if that's what ya want .. same old thing as every air gun we have seen up to this point. But hey it is made in the USA

Reactions: DMTman
“Pew pew was meant to reference something we can not talk on this forum about”

So then why bring it up if we’re not allowed to talk about it. I don’t need a reference about your uncle’s artisanal PRS pew pew to understand what air rifles are proven winners.

I’m all for new innovation in airguns. I own a Chinese made huben k1 and am very fond of it. Mostly because its valve system is one of the most revolutionary advancements in airguns. A mechanical, hammerless airgun. The first of its kind. So good in fact the boys at LCS decided to “use” it for their sk-19 and so on and so fourth. So I know very well the technology and great machining that can come from China.

*if you think AAA rifles are like any other airgun I encourage you to watch mountains sports airguns videos featuring Tom Costan.

“Pew pew was meant to reference something we can not talk on this forum about”

So then why bring it up if we’re not allowed to talk about it. I don’t need a reference about your uncle’s artisanal PRS pew pew to understand what air rifles are proven winners.

I’m all for new innovation in airguns. I own a Chinese made huben k1 and am very fond of it. Mostly because its valve system is one of the most revolutionary advancements in airguns. A mechanical, hammerless airgun. The first of its kind. So good in fact the boys at LCS decided to “use” it for their sk-19 and so on and so fourth. So I know very well the technology and great machining that can come from China.

*if you think AAA rifles are like any other airgun I encourage you to watch mountains sports airguns videos featuring Tom Costan.
The AAA rifles are the Elite of the Elite IMO when it comes to manufacturing. They are also custom airguns and not mass produced. I should probably bite that bullet ASAP. As for the question of whether or not China can make good products: of course they can. My personal preference? The more I get into this industry the more I realize the buy once cry once mentality saves time and money. That being said I buy products from companies that have a reputation for excellence.

I will keep following along on the updates with the Skout platform. Chinese or not they will need to show the consumer why their platform is preferable to the competition.

Kind regards,
Atlas

If parts are made in China then it's made in China and assembled in the US.

The word "Made" is quite definite

Nike shoes are designed in the US but the label say made in XXXX
No, actually the word made is quite ambiguous. Is a piece of jade or tigereye jewelry crafted by an artisan in Montana "made" in America? Of course it is even though the gem stone was mined half a world away. So you see, the words " made in America " are actually quite ambiguous. Personally I was conceived in Germany even though I was born in Baltimore. So, what about me? Was I made in America?