Skout Skout Epoch Share and Discussion

Interesting... Mmmmm

First I was of the idea that buying an Epoch you would acquire an advanced Airgun.

Now I understand that what you really pay with those 3K is a tuition to become part of a community of pragmatic pneumatics research.

I am out.

In this moment I will rest on all the years of improvement developed on the Huben, LCS, Rattler finally captured by the Sidewinder.

Last edited:
Interesting... Mmmmm

First I was of the idea that buying an Epoch you would acquire an advanced Airgun.

Now I understand that what you really pay with those 3K is a tuition to become part of a community of pragmatic pneumatics research.

I am out.
I'm confident Skout will continue to iterate the design to a point of excellence. They have the experience and are clearly listening to customers.

To Emu's point, the price of entry isn't worth the hassle. Personally, I'd love to see a smaller and lighter version. I don't want three barrels and a fancy case to stick under the bed.

In terms of the moderator, that seems like a miss at least on the 30 cal. Drop that too and let me use what I have. All this should allow the price point to be lowered which makes it more reasonable.

Reactions: cavedweller
Pretty sure that none of my gun manufacturers offer free upgrades to the guns I've purchased. Every upgrade to my Daystate (made or contemplated) has/would exceed the cost of the Epoch. Yes you are a guinea pig, but I've paid for every upgrade I've made to my Delta Wolf, the new valve upgrade being the least expensive.

There is usually a cost to being the first - with Skout it seems the cost is experience and knowledge instead of actual $. It is a high buy-in price, but so was my Delta Wolf.

YMMV

Last edited:
Interesting... Mmmmm

I am out.

In this moment I will rest on all the years of improvement developed on the Huben, LCS, Rattler finally captured by the Sidewinder.
You might be thinking the fiddling and changes some are making is a requirement found ... contrary !!!
These rifles ROCK IT right out of the box .... Any things found that do need addressing, get addressed at N/C

Interesting... Mmmmm

I am out.

As with you, I have saw things get better and evolve, with most major brand of manufacturers and in all aspects of the sport. The list of manufacturers who've made substantial progress in design and accuracy over the past decade is longer than most can name. Airgunner's and the manufacturer's, together and as a whole, have came a long way in the past ten years and I am proud to have been a very small part of the evolution.

Now with my fiddling .... JSB 44.75's at 900 fps on 1150 psi.
no doubt it breathes !!
What changes did you make? Increased entry into the barrel, adjustment of the regulator and opening time of the valve, what is the state of efficiency? I am still of the opinion that a larger plenum is needed, higher pressure and shorter valve operation! ...

Yes there have been a number of improvements. Some are purely unnecessary, like the valve for the bottle, yet they are still free. Although we are discussing mods, imperfections and preferences, I would like to be clear that this has been the most accurate out of the box air rifle I have ever owned. In the first hour I had made sub moa groups! I have, Impacts, Redwolves, Edguns etc. And each is amazing in their own respects but none have so quickly become my "go-to". That may change with the next great thing, but the hardware, and more importantly the customer support has been top notch!

What changes did you make? Increased entry into the barrel, adjustment of the regulator and opening time of the valve, what is the state of efficiency? I am still of the opinion that a larger plenum is needed, higher pressure and shorter valve operation! ...
Great rifle as delivered !!! Ideas being shared ;)

* By design a LP operating system, Larger plenum, high pressure small sip a design trait of recent years. a MAJOR valving design change is not following that accepted blueprint.

Time will tell :p

I know this valving design works very, very effectively, and very efficiently in the application that my industry uses it for. But uses all metal sealing surfaces and much higher temperatures (1000deg.) Also uses orfices and porting only for equalization across both sides of the valve not two different psi’s. From two distinct valves. I have been extremely interested in this gun once I learned of this style of valve, metering and electronics.

I am not interested in a .30 but am anxiously awaiting a .25 or .177 for testing. To be honest I’m not a fan of the style or look of this configuration I hope they make more suitable for bench style shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorhead
Great rifle as delivered !!! Ideas being shared ;)

* By design a LP operating system, Larger plenum, high pressure small sip a design trait of recent years. a MAJOR valving design change is not following that accepted blueprint.

Time will tell :p
Ok, we'll see how it works with heavy slugs in all calibers (I don't think it's capable of that at the moment) then we'll make a final judgment...

Personally, I'd love to see a smaller and lighter version.

In terms of the moderator, that seems like a miss at least on the 30 cal. Drop that too and let me use what I have. All this should allow the price point to be lowered which makes it more reasonable.

The marketing approach that's been taken by Skout is a "top down" model. The EPOCH is their first entry into the PCP gun market. Its intended to "wow" the industry with proven innovation not previously applied to this market in an extraordinarily high quality and vastly inclusive package.

There most definitely will be other models that will fit into other categories.

Reactions: Str8tshooter

All of this speculation on your part is predicated on knowledge of other systems. I would suggest that some actual experience with the gun might broaden your thinking.

I am not interested in a .30 but am anxiously awaiting a .25 or .177 for testing. To be honest I’m not a fan of the style or look of this configuration I hope they make more suitable for bench style shooting.

Interestingly the gun was actually designed as a bench competition gun. While it's chasis is obviously tailored to the specific and very popular AR look (remembering that SALES are actually important) the gun is actually more purpose built for bench shooters.

Reactions: Str8tshooter
Accuracy?

How heavy it feels?

How comfortable to shoulder it is?

How many shots per fill you get?

What is the real benefit f receiving three barrels?

Is it a bench or a hunting rifle?

Is the system of the rifle alike the one on the Rattler, Huben K1, Sidewinder is it a hammer and spring mechanism or is it something absolutely new?

#1 : It's very accurate.
#2 : It feels heavier than it actually is.
#3 : It's very well balanced
#4 : 50-60 shots per fill
#5 : the 3 barrels provided are intended to allow for a wider selection of ammunition.
#6 : although primarily designed as a competion bench gun, it's a generically styled AR chasis allowing for use in multiple disciplines.
#7: There is no hammer. The gun uses a pneumatically balanced spool valve.

Reactions: Fatboy74
Thanks
#1 : It's very accurate.
#2 : It feels heavier than it actually is.
#3 : It's very well balanced
#4 : 50-60 shots per fill
#5 : the 3 barrels provided are intended to allow for a wider selection of ammunition.
#6 : although primarily designed as a competion bench gun, it's a generically styled AR chasis allowing for use in multiple disciplines.
#7: There is no hammer. The gun uses a pneumatically balanced spool valve.
Thanks !

Reactions: JoePolanco