Skout Skout Epoch Share and Discussion

Range results 03/17/2023
Skout Epoch .30 cal 35" (895mm) barrel.
I tried several NSA slugs and tried all three sizes of barrels. In the end I wound up very near where I started.
Best results were from the standard bore barrel.
JSB 44.75 at 900fps. Target is 1" squares.
REAL world 5 consecutive 5 shot groups at 100 yards in 3-7mph variable wind. (no holding for wind)
Just putting our experiences out there so folks can decide for themselves.

IMG_4755.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4754.JPG
IMG_4751.JPG

IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

Now before folks start saying "That's nothing special" This was the best group of the day!

IMG_4748.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't seen it written anywhere. I'll check tomorrow and let you know. I'm sure Scotty is correct.
Actually I was incorrect, I believe it is really 1-38”, according to Billy, but it doesn’t look it to me, final answer…maybe? I was confusing it with the new prophet barrel.

Last edited:
Great post Lewis! Sorry it took me so long to find! So, after talking yesterday, I got thinking, came home from work, switched from the minus barrel to the standard barrel to shoot the new pellets that have a head about .005” larger than the 44.75gr.. Since I knew it was supposed to rain all day, I went last night for a couple hours. I shot probably 20 or so, 5 shot groups at 100yds. These are the best! Sub MOA baby. (1.5” target circles.)
Have a great day.
Stoti

p.s. disregard the three in the top right of one picture. Sighters.;)

6B3A7436-D772-4E51-8C72-77605040328A.jpeg

1E89A1CA-F11F-42CE-86D7-84ADFDE97DCA.jpeg

7E71D484-475E-40A7-B9D7-18269ECAC98E.jpeg

A610792F-2B64-46CD-8992-561F927918D0.jpeg

42CCA1A8-2B2D-45AF-A4EA-814BA25A29FA.jpeg

So I couldn't help myself but fondle and try to disassemble the Skout at the airgun show yesterday to the dismay of whomever was manning the table! 😅 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here are my positive impressions:
- excellent machining and materials, entire rear action was machined out of single piece of aluminum so very stiff! (y)(y)(y)
- lots of very nice carbon parts, barrel housing and cheek pieces are all carbon and very nicely made
- borrows FX's barrel housing and liner design, each liner comes standard with carbon sleeve bonded on, please make that a standard FX!
- very easy to change barrel and liner like FX if not easier
- Epoch suppose to make their own liner/barrel and it's definitely land and groove style using traditional method unlike FX

Here are my not so positive impressions:
- There is no visible way to mount a rail system under the bottle like the Impact which makes it hard for people like me who prefer bipods
- heavy, it's solid 9lbs without adding anything so definitely not a walking around gun
- Moderator is proprietary or not 1/2 UNF, inside looks like a straight pipe muffler and ineffective
- Reg adjusters are on the bottom so if you try to shoot offhand then you gonna need gloves but it's not really a offhand gun anyways
- Balance seems good but I bet it's front heavy with a nice scope on
- Ergonomics is just ok for me, butt pad design doesn't seem all that great but I'm sure someone will make an after market one
- Can't tell how big the plenum is and how they can increase plenum as time goes on
- the action/gun is noticeably taller than impact it the alpha wolf next to it so with a heavy scope this thing could be quite top heavy

Overall the build quality is definitely very impressive, but definitely disagree with many of the design choices. It was fun getting my grubby little hands on one, still holding onto my money on this one.

Last edited: