Skout Skout Epoch Share and Discussion

Alloy just means a combination of elements. There are many alloys of aluminum, steel, titanium, etc.

The barrel is apparently an aluminum alloy of some sort….so it’s not very hard in comparison to steel.

An electroless nickel coating with Teflon will make the surface hard…but it’s only hard for maybe .001” or less most likely.

Mike

Manny, Like an Allstate insurance commercial ...
So why are you even here ?
Already been stated ... ALLOY Barrel, Nickel Teflon applied coating & honestly this thread does not need any distractions or wise remarks.
Yeah but the guy, Polanco I think his name is and he's close to the company says that it's not a coating.

Here his quote :

"It's not a "coating" in the traditional sense as it's not applied to the to the surface, but amalgamated into the alloy itself."

.....sorry if dumb people like me need to ask questions since there's conflicting reports, I guess we peones are not welcome to this high end/technical threads and should " not even be here " :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Headshots
Got a bore scope ?
We all would like to see what you are thinking you see o_O
I’ve got a witness, unless it’s mass hysteria …I may get a scope, but I got a good look with a magnifier. I see a couple of spots where the surface is fractured in an elongated oval, maybe 3/4” long that cuts across the rifling. Perhaps there was something in the barrel that rejected the coating. I dunno 🤷‍♂️. I’ll speak with Darryl this week.

• Wow
Reactions: Airfuture
It is crazy that a talked about .001 - .003 surface layer could be seen with the naked eye. No doubt in relating & no doubting it, please do share what the crew at SKOUT have to say about your viewed issue/s ;)
I’m not really sure what I think I’m seeing. It could be an imperfection in the alloy, it could be something on the surface. As Scott eluded to, it’s hard to tell with the naked eye. I bit the pellet and have a scope coming this week…

Latest accessory.

url.jpg

Alpha Wolf does recoil much more than other air rifles in the same calibre that I've shot but that is in the factory configuration @190 bar on the reg which obviously requires quite a punch from a hammer to open.
On lower reg setting which IMO do even a better job regarding overall system performance it recoils less, naturally.
In any way, I wouldn't characterise it as "unmanageable" as it was stated in one of the reviews.

If Epoch recoils a bit less or similar to Alpha Wolf, I'm fine with it.

Whatever the case is, I'll find out next week, hopefully 😎
I've just paid the price difference between Alpha Wolf Safari and Epoch so it should be shipped today or tomorrow.
Unfortunately there are no 35" barrels available in EU as of yet so I got 25" but the whole barrel kit should be less than half the price of one additional barrel for Alpha Wolf

When I get the time, I hope to make a full writeup on it from an angle of an average Joe Airgunner

There is primary recoil and secondary recoil. Primary recoil is the equivalent of the power exerted… so a gun with 75fpe will have the same primary recoil as any other gun with 75fpe.

So clearly if the Epoch has more recoil it is due to secondary recoil…which is muzzle blast. This coincides with the observation that the gun is loud.

The valve itself produces virtually no perceptible recoil in pcps.

Mike