Skout Skout Epoch Share and Discussion

Thanks, I was told by someone else that they were aluminum….but didn’t know first hand.

The Teflon “impregnated”aluminum is very likely a type III hard coat anodize with Teflon. Teflon molecules are too big to get into anodize pores, so it’s really just a surface coating. Type III hard coat itself is anywhere from 40-70 Rockwell C. Very, very hard, but still just a surface treatment anywhere between .0004” to maybe .002” thick. Adding Teflon to hard coat is a surface treatment on a surface treatment.

Mike

Reactions: cavedweller
While on the subject of EPOCH barrels in general .... An observation :cautious:

Early on when first fiddling with the barrels & pushing some pellets threw end to end .... The bores surface was IMO VERY catchy having the felt resistance anything but silky smooth. ( This was primarily on the .30 cal 35" .300 bore liner )
Now after @ 600 shots of mostly pellets & perhaps a 100 or so NSA slugs, pushing a pellet now has the felt resistance being much smoother and far less catchy. Now if this surface coating in 40-70 Rockwell C really don't think a soft lead projectile is going to creating any wear or breaking in effect ?
But said .. appears that just shooting it has smoothed it ... So there's that :rolleyes: Which follows the statements made on Video that the more you shoot the better barrel will become ... Huh, perhaps so.

Well, well we have conflicting statements here then.........curious to see what reality will actually surface.
Material 100% an alloy being very light such as aluminum ... So, leaves us to ponder and perhaps either re-watch and listen to Bills statements as to finish/coating, or call SKOUT and get the anwser directly ?

Reactions: JoePolanco
Np3 is electroless nickel. I can tell you first hand that electroless nickel doesn’t work on the inside of a barrel. I had several done, and the interior finish was terrible.

Mike
it is teflon impregnated and probably not intended for powder burning barrels...airgun is a different animal. I heard Bill say it is a nickel/teflon coating. Sorry but its @ 2:40 of this vid....it is also an AL alloy.

Nitride coating is big in the gun world. It gives it a higher hardness on the surface . Could be their using it ?

Salt Bath Nitriding

• Hardness 52-58 HRc
  • Meets AMS 2753 Specifications
  • Improves fatigue strength
  • Exceptional Lubricity
  • Low coefficient of friction
  • Improved Wear Resistance
  • Improved Corrosion Resistance
  • Resistance to weld spatter
  • Holds dimensional requirements with little or no distortion
  • Nice matte black color
  • Metal treatment (not a coating)

Based on research of Bills "Key Words" of Nickel / Teflon ..... here a link to a similar described process.
See: Nickel/Teflon processing An EPOCH barrel is a dull silver color, not grey or black .. FYI

Disclamer ... have no idea where SKOUT is having barrels made, processed or otherwise, just a conversation on the tech as stated by Bill G being one of the founders of SKOUT

Based on research of Bills "Key Words" of Nickel / Teflon ..... here a link to a similar described process.
See: Nickel/Teflon processing An EPOCH barrel is a dull silver color, not grey or black .. FYI

Disclamer ... have no idea where SKOUT is having barrels made, processed or otherwise, just a conversation on the tech as stated by Bill G being one of the founders of SKOUT

I posted before I watched the video. Isn't it a chance for someone to learn about benefits of nitride and firearms? It could be used on airguns some day. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

So, is it a coating ?....Is it embedded in the barrel ? ...Is it neither ?....Something else ?

Getting confused here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like the barrel is kinda soft after all.
Manny, Like an Allstate insurance commercial ...
So why are you even here ?
Already been stated ... ALLOY Barrel, Nickel Teflon applied coating & honestly this thread does not need any distractions or wise remarks.

Reactions: cavedweller
So, is it a coating ?....Is it embedded in the barrel ? ...Is it neither ?....Something else ?

Getting confused here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like the barrel is kinda soft after all.
Funny you should say that. What I thought were lead streaks, now appear to be defects in the barrels. It appears that metal is missing, as opposed to being deposited.