Skout Epoch first impressions

Hey guys, I recently received my Skout Epoch .30 and after a few days testing it out and getting familiar with it, I did a quick write up on Instagram. Michael thought some of you might like to read it, so I copied and pasted it for AGN. If you want to see the original, it’s under kevinjstoughton There are a couple other Epoch posts, reels and lots of Daystate, FX and RAW posts too. Have a great week!
Stoti

I had a lot of messages and questions yesterday about the Skout Epoch .30 that I didn’t want to answer until I had a chance to shoot it a lot more. Today I did just that.

First off, the build quality, features, included accessories, fit, finish & ergonomics are incredible!

It shoots the JSB 44.75, 50.15, the FX 44.8 & 50.2 grain all great at 50, 75 & 100yds. It was very windy today & I still shot some great groups at all yardages. All of the shooting today was with the standard barrel. I haven’t touched the +.001” or -.001” barrels yet. Accuracy was superb & all I had to do to reach the desired velocity range for each pellet was adjust the HP reg. up or down a tiny bit… No need to degass & I never touched the LP reg. or dwell function.

As for power, I haven’t shot anything super heavy yet but when shooting the 50.15gr pellets at 865-875fps the HP regulator was only on 79bar. There’s a lot of room to turn it up & shoot heavy slugs fast!

The shot count, as you can imagine, was extremely high. I was using the 50.15gr pellets on 79bar with a 700cc bottle filled to 250bar. It is efficient, between 1.5-2.0 bar per shot(conservative), you can do the math… that’s a lot of shots per fill.

The Epoch is easy to adjust both manually & electronically, it’s very intuitive & has a bright, easy to read OLED display. I had it set up in no time & made changes very quickly. The trigger superb!!! I never had to adjust anything with it, it was perfect for my taste right out of the box. The shot cycle on 79bar was super smooth with almost no recoil. The proprietary moderator is well made & does a wonderful job of taming the report. All of the manual adjustment knobs for the cheek rest , lop, & butt pad are quick, easy & lock down solidly when in place.

I’ll have a lot more info to share in the future, after I test various pellet weights at different velocities & can shoot without a 20mph wind. I also want to play with all the electronic features but especially the LP reg. & electronic dwell feature to see the effects on precision. There is a lot more testing to do over the following weeks & months but I wanted to give my initial impressions for those that asked. Have a good one. Kevin

#skoutepoch #pcpairrifle #airgun #skoutairguns #airgunbenchrest

E6A92E02-1A01-4A64-AE66-79B17C6BA4A3.jpeg

6A542770-4627-4F3E-BF37-834CDB6204F5.jpeg

A582AB55-92C8-4670-AEE1-4B16EAD9D848.jpeg

108A5215-306D-409E-AF8A-861A418A79F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there any flex in the bottle with the bipod mounted like it is? Seems like it could be easy to push the bottle upward if you were to lean on the gun a bit in a game shooting scenario where you wouldn't be thinking about it.
I'm not sure there is flex, I'm just not a fan of putting any strain on those threads.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Is there any flex in the bottle with the bipod mounted like it is? Seems like it could be easy to push the bottle upward if you were to lean on the gun a bit in a game shooting scenario where you wouldn't be thinking about it.
With some other airguns yes, there is a bit of flex, not with this one. The two surfaces are flush and snug down tight.

I don’t like mounting a bipod like this either but I don’t have any other option. A GRS over the barrel bipod would be great but I have a pile of other great bipods and can’t justify it.😉
Stoti

Looking forward to more testing, and hopefully to see it in competition.

I didn't know Skout was including the 700cc bottle, or did you replace the factory (480?) bottle...?

Is this the long (35 inch) barrel version? With the long barrel it makes it hard to compare apples to apples as far as power and efficiency.

Thanks!

Reactions: stoti
Looking forward to more testing, and hopefully to see it in competition.

I didn't know Skout was including the 700cc bottle, or did you replace the factory (480?) bottle...?

Is this the long (35 inch) barrel version?

Thanks!
It is a 700cc bottle I put on the gun. It is the 35” pellet barrel. We’ll be in Ashland this year, see you there.
Stoti

• Wow
Reactions: Centercut
Hey guys,
I got a message from someone that thought it was important to let everyone know if this gun was purchased, on loan or given to me. Not really anyone’s business, but because I did an initial impression review…I get it, a lot of people give good reviews for free products and that can get a bit sketchy!

I’ve been saving for a long time for a different airgun but after seeing Steve Scalli’s AEAC video on the Epoch and talking to the guys at Skout, I went this route instead. I’m absolutely glad I did!

I did paid full price and it’s mine! I got it with the 35” pellet barrel and then put on a 700cc bottle and a Saber Tactical bottle-pic rail adapter. Other than those additions, it is bone stock.

Have a great week everyone .
Stoti

Hey guys,
I got a message from someone that thought it was important to let everyone know if this gun was purchased, on loan or given to me. Not really anyone’s business, but because I did an initial impression review…I get it, a lot of people give good reviews for free products and that can get a bit sketchy!

I’ve been saving for a long time for a different airgun but after seeing Steve Scalli’s AEAC video on the Epoch and talking to the guys at Skout, I went this route instead. I’m absolutely glad I did!

I did paid full price and it’s mine! I got it with the 35” pellet barrel and then put on a 700cc bottle and a Saber Tactical bottle-pic rail adapter. Other than those additions, it is bone stock.

Stoti
Hey man...I don't care how you acquired your rifle... If it was given too you, great! If you saved for it, great! I care about an honest review.... That being said. Post the snot about it. We're waiting!!

How is the sound levels are compared to your Daystate RW at the same power level
I’d like to know this as well. I was gifted an Epoch by my awesome brother, with the 25” barrel, and it seems loud as hell…108db 5’ from the muzzle. This was with the gun sending 44 grain well below 800fps. I’ve since reduced the dwell by 4 ms, and that helped a little, and tightened the SD as well.

Last edited:
I’d like to know this as well. I was gifted an Epoch, with the 25” barrel, and it seems loud as hell…108db 5’ from the muzzle. This was with the gun sending 44 grain well below 800fps. I’ve since reduced the dwell by 4 ms, and that helped a little, and tightened the SD as well.
I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the Epoch..

Hey guys,

Stoti
Makes a huge difference in credibility if the gun was given for free for review or was purchased with hard earned money. Thank you for your honesty:)

I wanted to add from my impressions of inspection and shooting this gun at HPP in Mi. Although I believe in the valving and ingenuity of engineering also the departure from the norm.

There is some question marks of securing the Barrel into the action (cam-loc and aluminum) the anodizing is being damaged as barrels are being swapped.

Also the cocking and magazine functions are clunky at best. Not nearly as refined as a Impact for sure.

When I walked away from shooting this gun I had the distinct impression It was a prototype not a completely finalized product?

I will say there are more positives than negatives, but before I purchased one it would have to be a little more refined and better suited for bench shooting such as a bottom arca rail that would accept a wider bench plate etc.