• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Skout Epoch Barrels made of ? Aluminum

Hi,

Our barrels are made of an alloy and the coating that we apply to them is extremely hard and wear-resistant. The surface unevenness that you see is just the coating, but we have found that it does not have any impact on the performance of the barrel. if you have any other questions please let us know!

- Luke

Thanks, Luke

No mention of the process, but I would guess electroless nickel with teflon. One of the main advantages of electroless nickel is that it produces a very uniform coating thickness even in tight passages (like the inside of a barrel).

Reactions: subscriber
I can confirm that they are light weight and non magnetic. Likely aluminum of some kind. I have several thousand rounds through the .30 cal long barrel shooting many types of pellets and slugs. So far there has been no change in accuracy or performance. I have cleaned it with pull through patches about every 500 rounds.
No complaints from me so far.

If it ever becomes an issue, I don't know of any other manufacturer that so readily adapts to requests, including creating a housing and machining adapters for your favorite barrel or liner of your choosing.
If you are concerned, buy an FX heavy liner for $120 and have Darryl at Skout provide an adapter and matching shroud. That is what I did when I bought the 25 cal from Skout and I had them ship a 22 cal shroud and adapter for my FTX heavy liner.

I think the Aluminum is fine. It’s Nickel Teflon coated. About twice as thick as an FX barrel liner, plus it has a 2mm thick CF tube bonded to the aluminum. The assembly is very stiff and fits in another CF tube about 1 inch diameter. I get NO flex on mine when installed in the gun.
The coating is well bonded, I brass brushed mine a couple weeks ago (you’re not supposed to do that), and nothing came off and it put no additional scratches in the coating.

I know in very fast boats they would like to have a slightly rough surface contact the water rather than a very smooth one perhaps this with the coating against the lead works in the same way.
It is likely working along the same principles of hysteresis, similar to the effects of air and gas not attaching to golf balls and engine intake manifold plenums due to the dimpled or rough surface finishes.

Reactions: Solo1